Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer said they need to wait at least 6-8 weeks for it???

Is our stock cat that rare?

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
When I got mine replaced in 2010 on my NA, I had to go to Maryland and I live in the DC area to find one in stock. So, yes, they are getting harder to get. But you should be able to find one. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
Get a SOLO high flow cat. They stock them and are Canadian.;)

They come available on the forums from time to time. I have seen several sell.

Also, check the recycle websites. The cat is something that frequently gets recycled.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'm not paying for it... so...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi there!

My '06 just lit the CEL, code P0420 (degraded catalyst performance). I didn't find any damage to the pipe, the converter, the O2 sensor or harness, and no loose connections/bolts/obvious leaks. I suspect the converter's dying :(

Oddly it doesn't have any telltale rattles or smell, so I'm going to pull it off and see if I can see anything obvious inside.

This thread doesn't make me feel good about getting it serviced by the dealer in a timely manner, though, so I may go the Solo route myself.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, exact same code as me. The guy did mentioned it's something in the cat, if it's aftermarket it can be repaired but they say GM Warranty does a full replacement.

But check with them because your replacement cat is free due to a 10-year extended warranty, and it is safe to drive with that light on. There's no degrade in performance except you can't renew your sticker since it'll fail emissions, plus the peace of mind that you're polluting the environment more. :D

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
Back in late 07, early 08 a lot of 06 cars began to experience cat failures. The failure generally results in them "filling up" to the point where they begin to provide significant back pressure and eventually severly restrict flow. After these failures became very prevalent, GM changed the warranty for the 06 cat to extend it and offered free replacement. I suspect that they deployed a lot of their repair stock at that time. The trade off is if they do replace your cat is it with a similar unit that will again "prematurely" fail?

Personally I chose to get a SOLO cat instead of bolting back up what I considered to be a cat of questionable design.

You can check with the dealer and ask them if GM would pay you the price of the factory cat to go against buying an after market unit. Some times they will do so.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Back in late 07, early 08 a lot of 06 cars began to experience cat failures. The failure generally results in them "filling up" to the point where they begin to provide significant back pressure and eventually severly restrict flow. After these failures became very prevalent, GM changed the warranty for the 06 cat to extend it and offered free replacement. I suspect that they deployed a lot of their repair stock at that time. The trade off is if they do replace your cat is it with a similar unit that will again "prematurely" fail?

Personally I chose to get a SOLO cat instead of bolting back up what I considered to be a cat of questionable design.

You can check with the dealer and ask them if GM would pay you the price of the factory cat to go against buying an after market unit. Some times they will do so.
That would be HIGHLY preferred...

In Canada the stock cat is a $900+ part as told by the dealer... If Solo is only $300 I get to pocket $600. :lol:

On a serious note, in Canada we can't really do that. We don't have Magnuson-Moss so we get a lot of bullcrap about aftermarket parts when it comes to warranty. I had a dealer rejecting me a brake warranty because I didn't want them putting their overpriced pads. Ended up going full aftermarket.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi there!

On mine, I don't have any sounds/rattles or noticible loss of power. I did get a whiff of something this morning with the top down.

After pulling the code P0420, I cleared it and checked the exhaust. I didn't see anything obvious (i.e. cracked manifold, obvious leak, loose fasteners, etc.) I pulled the converter off, but it didn't look damaged inside (it wasn't coming apart, anyway).

The same code came back this morning so I called a local dealer who's getting it on Thursday.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi there!

I dropped my car off at Glenn Buick this morning, and got a call that the converter is indeed bad and they're going to replace it -- as soon as it comes in. It's on "national backorder".

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi there!

Forgot to update this, but it took about 3 weeks to get the converter in, but it's been replaced under warranty and so far, so good.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Good to hear you got it fixed.

Matt from GM Customer Service, are you reading this? Three weeks to get a CAT?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,477 Posts
My '06 threw a CEL in June, 2011. It was confirmed as the cat by the dealer, they ordered a new cat on a Monday and it was replaced on the following Friday.

Does the Solstice/Sky share a cat with any other GM vehicle? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Pretty sure the CAT is platform specific. And GM has refused to authorize installation of any of the aftermarket solutions, and preserve the power-train warranty.

I had a CAT go bad in mine this summer, and luckily at the time they had one available. But looks like those days are gone......

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi there!

I seems odd to me that the eleventeen million 2.2 Ecotecs, and especially the 2.4 Ecotecs (i.e. HHR) don't use the same cat as the Solstice. Other than packaging (RWD vs. FWD) there's no obvious reason to me to have a different cat.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Hi there!

I seems odd to me that the eleventeen million 2.2 Ecotecs, and especially the 2.4 Ecotecs (i.e. HHR) don't use the same cat as the Solstice. Other than packaging (RWD vs. FWD) there's no obvious reason to me to have a different cat.
But that"s EXACTLY the reason. Packaging. The bends and shape for a longitudinal engine won't fit a transverse one.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I went thru two......Both under warranty....eventually went with DDM header and Hi flow...no problems since.:)..knock on wood.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But that"s EXACTLY the reason. Packaging. The bends and shape for a longitudinal engine won't fit a transverse one.
Let's to hope with the advent of the ATS we will soon have correct longitudinal Ecotec cats... :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts