Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a brand new owner of a silver 2007 GXP. Bought it Monday with less than 18k on it. Been ten years in coming. I am looking for a removable luggage rack so I can take it on trips and wanted to know if anyone has used a Revo Rack on their Solstice. And, if they have, did they use the regular model or is the Ultra needed (main difference is that the Ultra as adjustable suction cups).

Here is a link to what I am talking about... looking for any one with experience in the matter. Thanks

https://boot-bag.com/store/revo-rack-ultra.html

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Maybe someone has use them but as far as I know, this product has never been shown here before.
See what others have commented on other cars, since it seems this product uses suction cups to stay in place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just trying to figure out if it will fit a solstice.

And looking at options, it's either something like this or a hitch for carrying, but not sure how I feel about that look.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Don't have that rack but I'd be interested to see how it fits our cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked their first... they are temporarily out of stock. And from the looks of things, looks like they will be for some time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the Revo Rack. Not sure how to upload a photo to this, but it came, if works (without needing the extra toggle pieces) and held on to my car and my baggage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Got the Revo Rack. Not sure how to upload a photo to this, but it came, if works (without needing the extra toggle pieces) and held on to my car and my baggage.
I'm looking at getting a revo-rack and would be interested in your long term thoughts about it. Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,668 Posts
I'm looking at getting a revo-rack and would be interested in your long term thoughts about it. Thanks!
Unfortunately he hasn't visited the forum in almost two years.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I bought a Revo rack shortly after buying my Solstice 3 years ago. We were planning a two week road trip (Rt 66 and NASSAM at BlackHawk CO) and needed more luggage room. It did the job well.
I did modify it slightly, I added a 1 inch spacer under the center mount to allow the rack to be mounted a little farther forward and not interfere with the shark fin antenna. When I bought the car there was a ding in the deck lid that I knew had to be repaired at some point so my thinking was that if the rack did any damage to the car I would have it all repaired after the trip. I didn't weigh the bags that we put on there but it was enough to double our capacity. Hint....Make sure the bags are water proof and not water resistant!
I used the rack a couple of times before getting the ding repaired and there was no damage related to the rack. I always clean the lid and the suction cups before mounting.
If you want one for this summer season order now, mine took a long time to get here.
I also installed a rear view camera that can be switched on full time because the loaded rack totally blocks the view out of the back window especially with the top up.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: chinterman

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I found some pics from our rt 66 trip.
IMGP1911 - Copy.JPG
IMGP1912.JPG
IMGP1920 - Copy (2).JPG

Reactions: nolbret

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought a Revo rack shortly after buying my Solstice 3 years ago. We were planning a two week road trip (Rt 66 and NASSAM at BlackHawk CO) and needed more luggage room. It did the job well.
I did modify it slightly, I added a 1 inch spacer under the center mount to allow the rack to be mounted a little farther forward and not interfere with the shark fin antenna. When I bought the car there was a ding in the deck lid that I knew had to be repaired at some point so my thinking was that if the rack did any damage to the car I would have it all repaired after the trip. I didn't weigh the bags that we put on there but it was enough to double our capacity. Hint....Make sure the bags are water proof and not water resistant!
I used the rack a couple of times before getting the ding repaired and there was no damage related to the rack. I always clean the lid and the suction cups before mounting.
If you want one for this summer season order now, mine took a long time to get here.
I also installed a rear view camera that can be switched on full time because the loaded rack totally blocks the view out of the back window especially with the top up.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for your input. It's good to get a real, unbiased review and for the advice on ordering early.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Brethren.,
T took a flyer & ordered one. They told me that they were waiting for a delivery of them & would take a few weeks to ship (no problem this time of year). But the dollar to Euro exchange rate was a killer.To hell with the stock market ! invest in Euros !
Nervous

·
Registered
24 Posts
I decided to go ahead and order one. The company seems very competent and has sent it out already. May take a while to get across the pond. Coming from the Netherlands.

·
Registered
24 Posts
And 11 days later, it arrived! Great service and pretty fast shipping considering it came from the Netherlands. Looks great but I don't think I'll be using it for a few months. It comes in a nice storage bag, so it can be put away until needed in about 2 - 3 months.

·
Registered
382 Posts
And 11 days later, it arrived! Great service and pretty fast shipping considering it came from the Netherlands. Looks great but I don't think I'll be using it for a few months. It comes in a nice storage bag, so it can be put away until needed in about 2 - 3 months.
Hi. What do you think of it? The idea of only sticking it on for travelling appeals to me because any kind of rack detracts from the smooth curves of the car.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I only use mine a couple times a year. Last week was one of them. Our trip to Michigan and back was great. We carried two water-proof bags on the rack with no issues. I do recommend a rear camera because with the rack loaded it really limits what you can see with your mirrors.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I only use mine a couple times a year. Last week was one of them. Our trip to Michigan and back was great. We carried two water-proof bags on the rack with no issues. I do recommend a rear camera because with the rack loaded it really limits what you can see with your mirrors.
Oh man, I've been trying to avoid installing one, not keen on having to route the wiring.
Also, in case I do eventually install a rear cam, I'd probably hook it up to a rearview mirror screen in order to keep the factory looking headunit.
Has anybody installed a rearview mirror with an inbuilt cam screen? Would be nice if there was one that had the map lights as well since our cars don't have any other kind of overhead light.

·
Administrator
8,668 Posts
Oh man, I've been trying to avoid installing one, not keen on having to route the wiring.
Also, in case I do eventually install a rear cam, I'd probably hook it up to a rearview mirror screen in order to keep the factory looking headunit.
Has anybody installed a rearview mirror with an inbuilt cam screen? Would be nice if there was one that had the map lights as well since our cars don't have any other kind of overhead light.
The comments I have heard from those who have them say that the image is too small to be truly useful.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts