Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
266 Posts
Oh man, I've been trying to avoid installing one, not keen on having to route the wiring.
Also, in case I do eventually install a rear cam, I'd probably hook it up to a rearview mirror screen in order to keep the factory looking headunit.
[...]
At the GM Nats in Carlisle, Dabbler had a rear license plate frame that had a Bluetooth b/u camera powered by a small solar charged battery, paired with a smartphone or monitor in a holder. No wiring, no radio swaps, no mirror swaps, and available for $70-$200.

I haven't used one, though. He found his at Costco, IIRC.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
383 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
266 Posts
Very interesting indeed. I could find a good phone mount (such as @Northern Sol 's CUDA Mount) and use this setup. Thanks!
This is the phone mount I use. It's low-cost ($16), holds securely, is small, rotates easily between orientations, and can be removed & stowed in the glove box in about 10 seconds when I'm not using the phone for navigation.

The only drawback--The clamp does temporarily compress the OS handle vinyl--but the vinyl returns to normal a short while after removal.

The big plus--I can use it on my bike, too.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
The comments I have heard from those who have them say that the image is too small to be truly useful.
The image is small but it is waaaaaay better than nothing. A vehicle can be right behind you and you can't see it in either side mirror. If they are too close you can see their bumper under the rack.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
383 Posts
it is a entire mirror replacement. mine is an earlier version that 'straps' over the existing mirror. this version seems to replace the entire mirror

lonnng link, but it works...

Bill
Thanks. I've seen some of these for sale. What's not clear for me is whether they are just normal, reflective glass when turned off and a screen when turned on, or just plain screen at all times (so you'd need the cam turned on full time)?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi. What do you think of it? The idea of only sticking it on for travelling appeals to me because any kind of rack detracts from the smooth curves of the car.
Funny you should ask. I am currently on the homeward leg of a 2000 + mile trip from Michigan to North Carolina and the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'll do a separate post about the trip, but the rack has been amazing. Never a wobble or worry. Somewhere around the 1100 mile mark I took it off to run through a car wash. After releasing the suction cups, I still had to work to peel them off the car. But after the car wash, you couldn't tell where they had been mounted.

I paired the rack with an Aquaquest 100 L dry bag which is equally impressive. It fit the rack perfectly and rides rock solid. We just tested the water proof bit coming through Wheeling W VA. It was a "Noah build a boat" kind of deluge that went on for most of an hour. Arrived at our destination and everything inside is dry.

I recommend both!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Thanks. I've seen some of these for sale. What's not clear for me is whether they are just normal, reflective glass when turned off and a screen when turned on, or just plain screen at all times (so you'd need the cam turned on full time)?
mine is installed in my motorhome as a full time color screen functioning as a full time rear view mirror; never paid any attention to whether it is also a passive reflective mirror (if you need to know, i can check) as i needed a way to see behind me: i see no point to being able to turn it off. as you can see, the rear window is worthless... but, i also have a wireless camera mounted on the license plate bracket that has a screen that sits on top of the dash that is used as a backup camera only.

the mirror also has a forward facing camera and will take a SD card for storage of all videos. BTW, it also has a warning system that will tell you when you stray from your travel lane. it has all sorts of features i don't use.... :)
Bill

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Get a Garmin GPS ( a BIG one) with the wireless rear camera option and a suction, articulated, Ram Mount. Seems the simplest way to do this and not have to mess with a new mirror or audio unit. Worth a look...

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
24 Posts
Get a Garmin GPS ( a BIG one) with the wireless rear camera option and a suction, articulated, Ram Mount. Seems the simplest way to do this and not have to mess with a new mirror or audio unit. Worth a look...

I was going to chime in on the trunk rack and bag with or without a rearview camera and say that I don't know that it is necessary. I am on an extended tour with the revo rack and a 100 liter dry bag mounted on it and haven't had a problem. The side mirrors gave me enough visibility to know if someone was behind me. However, if the Garmin set up works as well as it looks, it is a simple clean solution that I may want to try.

In addition, several years ago we bought a new car and have regretted ever since not getting a back up camera option on it. With this solution, it can live in our primary car and move to the Solstice when we travel. Thanks Richard!

·
Registered
24 Posts

Here are a couple pictures from our "Summer Solstice Tour 2021". The bag is an Aquaquest 100 liter dry bag. Both have performed flawlessly. We got caught in a deluge in Wheeling West VA and everything stayed dry.

I created a "tether" system for the rack which you can see in the top photo. After the experience with the rack on this trip I think it was probably a waste of time and money. I have had no problems with the rack other than getting the cups to release from the car after releasing the suction. They pretty much glued themselves to the trunk. I was worried that it might leave a mark on the paint, but after a wash, I couldn't tell where they had been.

Here's a link to the dry bag: Amazon.com: AquaQuest White Water Duffel - 100% Waterproof, Heavy Duty, Versatile, Comfortable - Durable Protective Dry Bag for Travel, Sport, Motorcycle, Boat, Fishing - 100 L, Grey
My wife and I have enough clothes and gear in this bag for two weeks of travel with a laundry stop to wash a few things. The only trouble we have had is carrying it - easy to overload - and wrinkles in the clothes. If anyone has a suggestion on how to pack better, I'd love to hear it!

·
Registered
24 Posts

Richard Snipes
I took your advice and got a Garmin 55 with backup camera. Our main car didn't come with one and we have regretted not spending the extra money for one ever since, so it will spend most of its time on that car, but when we tour, it won't be too much hassle to switch it over. Thanks for putting us on to this affordable option.

·
Registered
51 Posts
21 - 36 of 36 Posts