Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, I drove away and it wasn't till I noticed that the rear interior light was blinking, that I found that I hadn't closed the trunk all the way. Was thinking how hoods have two latches to keep them closed, yet the Solstice, despite having a front facing rear hatch, has a off-the-shelf trunk latch. Was picturing the wind catching the rear deck and leaving it laying on the highway! I know the windshield deflects the wind so it actually is flowing into the interior over the deck, but should I be concerned about them not stealing a hood latch instead of a trunk? What holds the lids down on other cars with backwards hatches?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Ouch, I'm picturing my trunk on the highway :cryin

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Nobody follow any of the solstices...

I was wondering that myself - hoods have secondary latches that need to be manually unlatched - but I'm envisioning...

I'm in a hurry - I grab something at the store, pop my trunk, throw it in and since I'm just going home and opening it later anyway, I shove the decklid down and don't bother with the AFTBS's (since I'm going to have to get back in anyway).

I'm still in a hurry, so I ignore or don't see the trunk light or driver info center - and I ignore the ding-ding-ding (just thinking of the worst case scenario) or worse yet for some reason the auditory alarms don't work in my car (it could happen).

I'm imagining at about 45 MPH, I'd hear a tremendous noise, feel a significant deceleration, look in the rearview and see "ECITSLOS" in mirror image an instant before the decklid is aero-removed from my Solstice.

I hope there's no secondary manual latch - that would suck. I'm really not liking the compromises made for the top and trunk for styling sake.

And I'd hate for my car to have the ignition inter-linked to the decklid (you know, preventing me from starting or running the engine if the decklid is not closed). Decklid sensors are not infallible - walking home or calling for a towtruck for a $1.25 switch causing my vehicle to stall or not start would REALLY suck.

Just a few random thoughts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm not positive, but I thought there was a law requiring secondary safety catches on all front-opening trunk/hood/engine covers. At least, every front opening hood I know of has one, as does the front-opening cover for the frunk (front trunk) on my mid-engined MR2. I tried looking for other examples, but all the google hits for "clamshell trunk" or "rear-hinged trunk" point to the Solstice/Sky. I'm not aware of another instance of a clamshell trunk in current production.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It would be easy to cable the trunk to the car...it may come off if the latch was not working and bang up your car, but it would not be a serious hazzard.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
At least the hood own't pop up on ya! I'm sure the engineers have taken into account the forces on the lid at highway speeds and beefed up the hinges. It would no doubt pop up and let you know you're a bone head long before you get to the critical speed where it would fold back or tear off. :cool

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Stephen M said:
I'm not positive, but I thought there was a law requiring secondary safety catches on all front-opening trunk/hood/engine covers. At least, every front opening hood I know of has one, as does the front-opening cover for the frunk (front trunk) on my mid-engined MR2. I tried looking for other examples, but all the google hits for "clamshell trunk" or "rear-hinged trunk" point to the Solstice/Sky. I'm not aware of another instance of a clamshell trunk in current production.
If there is such a law, it may be written in such a way to pertain to the front compartment too. Its possible the lawmakers didn't envision a front opening trunk when the law was written.

A secondary latch could certainly be another pain in the acrobatic steps necessary to deal with this top! The more we come up with, the more it sounds like the top will be a real PITA. All these little niggles added up could end up hurting this car a lot. I hope not, but buyers are becoming exceptionally picky these days!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't some convertables have a front opening hard shell boot to cover the folded top?

·
4,592 Posts
solsticeman said:
I'm imagining at about 45 MPH, I'd hear a tremendous noise, feel a significant deceleration, look in the rearview and see "ECITSLOS" in mirror image an instant before the decklid is aero-removed from my Solstice.
ECITSLOS

:glol :glol :glol :glol :glol :glol :glol

I literally laughed out LOUD on that one!

But seriously folks, not ANOTHER reason NOT to buy the solstice :crazy

You know, if GM would let us see/sit/review this car more, maybe we wouldn't be dreaming up ways to ream to design........think it's boredom :lol

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
RODEO said:
You know, if GM would let us see/sit/review this car more, maybe we wouldn't be dreaming up ways to ream to design........think it's boredom :lol
At this point I don't care if we get to review it, I just want anyone anywhere to get to review it and actually publish their findings. All these re-publishes of the original specs and such are just getting old by articles.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
cornering brake

You know, guys, if we put a shiftknob mounted switc to operate an electrohydraulic cylinder on the trunk lid we can have our own Chapparal with the best braking in the industry. I'm thinking 60-0 in 2 sec flat! What a great race car this will make!!! It makes the roof brakes in NASCAR look like chicken wings.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Michael said:
brentil? When do the new mags come out do you think that will have some new information? If ever?
More than likely the major rags will have some first drive articles of pre-production spec Solstices sometime close to the car’s release to dealers. Maybe a month or so before. This month they all had first drive information on the Cobalt SS (mags hit shelves around the first of the month) which should be in dealers by the end of January. It was delayed a little too, so the article may have been intended to correspond with the cars release.

So I would look for something in the June issues (arriving in stores on or around May 1). Just a wild stab, but that would be my guess.

If GM wanted to try and spur on some extra pre-ordering, they could allow drives and have an embargo that lifted sooner, maybe allowing articles into the May issues (on stands April 1) but that would depend on there being sufficient pre-production cars available to rag publishers in March to drive and write articles on.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Michael said:
brentil? When do the new mags come out do you think that will have some new information? If ever?
I'm really not expecting mags to have real Solstice reviews till the month it'll be in dealer floors unfortunately.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The only experience I've had with rearward opening convertible hatches was on a '68 Corvette, so this may not be apropos, but...

The latch seemed to be a double catch affair. If you didn't close it tight, it was still caught but 'loose'. There were a few occasions where body flex caused the top to 'unlatch', but it was held by the first (second?) catch. It worked well in that it didn't require any extra fiddling to close or open. Also, a slight tug on the leading edge tells you very quickly if you have it closed or not...

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
brentil said:
I'm really not expecting mags to have real Solstice reviews till the month it'll be in dealer floors unfortunately.
We might get lucky and see something in April in mags but agree it's going to be within a couple of months of the first ones hitting dealers (June).

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Not great news by any means, but back in '99 I had the front opening bonnet on my Bugeye lift when I was warming it up before a High Speed Run before changing plugs. Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!! Was running ~4K into a big time headwind, received a super gust and the whole bonnet (including lights, fenders...) came up and over. Wacked me pretty good on my helmet, hit the roll bar and completely destroyed the bonnet ($1K replacement cost). Cause--forgot to lock the bonnet down.

Now the bonnet is rear opening with safety wiring.

Take care-Steve

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had a girlfriend take her car to a LA suburb's MG new car dealer (that'll really date me) for warranty work on her Mug baget (MGBGT). Service manager tried to impress her how you couldn't just slam the aluminum bonnet and had to close it gently. She made it less than 100 yards down the road when it flew open and bent over the roof. They replaced it for free. :rolleyes

1 - 20 of 23 Posts