Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
PureWhite said:
Hi,

I did some searching to see if anyone has heard the upgraded Monsoon sterio in real life? What did you think?

Thanx
On the 8/5 thread there was a comment about it, and it was positive.
I have had it in a 1998 Grand Prix and a 2000 TransAm and the sound is very good, however if you are into big thumping sound then the answer is No.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I did get to hear it at Detroit last friday. Sorry to say it was very disappointing. The sound quality was not nearly what I expected; even with XM playing. The volume level was too low and I had it turned 3/4 the way up! Again, this was with the top down. But that is the only way I plan to listen to it. :)

Sorry, I meant top down, my bad.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
TerpFan said:
I did get to hear it at Detroit last friday. Sorry to say it was very disappointing. The sound quality was not nearly what I expected; even with XM playing. The volume level was too low and I had it turned 3/4 the way up! Again, this was with the top up. But that is the only way I plan to listen to it. :)
Did you mean top down? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
TerpFan said:
I did get to hear it at Detroit last friday. Sorry to say it was very disappointing. The sound quality was not nearly what I expected; even with XM playing. The volume level was too low and I had it turned 3/4 the way up! Again, this was with the top up. But that is the only way I plan to listen to it. :)
Are you sure the one you were in had the Monsoon option? I seem to remember a couple of people from the Detroit show saying they were really impressed with the Monsoon sound system. Obviously, opinions will differ, but that sounds unusual that the reviews would be so opposite.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I thought it was pretty decent for a convertible (they need to do the speakers in the head rest like the Miata had for awhile). It's no West Cost Custom Escalade sound system, but I thought it was worth the upgrade. Figure with some deep bass, my girl will think it was worth the upgrade too ;) I do wonder how much of a pain it would be removing the map holder area that is behind the seat in lieu of the sub. If you plan on going custom, might be worth it to already have the hole cut out for the sub upgrade.

·
Registered
79 Posts
PureWhite said:
Hi,

I did some searching to see if anyone has heard the upgraded Monsoon sterio in real life? What did you think?

Thanx
Remember the Firebird commercials a few years ago with the sound vibrating the beads of water on the outside of the car? That's what mine does!! In my Firebird the Monsoon is an awesome sound from a factory system. That's one reason I ordered it in my Solstice.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My wife has one in her G6 and it's pretty good. Pretty nice, better than a regular stock unit, but that thing LOVES base. I mean LOVES it... so if you don't, then...

But that is a G6 trait, and not necessarily that of the Solstice. I've talked to a few owners of G6s' with the Monsoon and they all seem to agree with the systems tendancy to overdrive the lower frequencies. And yes, you can adjust it, but it never goes away. Now the Bose system in my C5... much nicer.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Firebird99 said:
Remember the Firebird commercials a few years ago with the sound vibrating the beads of water on the outside of the car? That's what mine does!! In my Firebird the Monsoon is an awesome sound from a factory system. That's one reason I ordered it in my Solstice.
True, but that's a 500-Watt system. I think that the solstice is closer to 250. Still, it should be plenty for the small space. I ordered the monsoon for the same reason though. It sounded badass in my 99 Firehawk.

·
Registered
528 Posts
SlySol said:
Are you sure the one you were in had the Monsoon option? I seem to remember a couple of people from the Detroit show saying they were really impressed with the Monsoon sound system. Obviously, opinions will differ, but that sounds unusual that the reviews would be so opposite.
Yes, mine had the Monsoon. Was the first thing I started to play with in the car. The bass sound is pretty good, my taste in music is more treble based ;-).

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Does anybody who has actually heard it have any comments on the base sound system. Obviously, we can't expect much from it, since it only has tiny speakers. I ordered the base speakers with the intention of looking into some nice aftermarket stuff down the road, but I am wondering how long I will be able to tolerate it as is before I have to jump on it.

I'm hoping somebody will say they were pleasantly surprised that the basic system sounded decent even without the Monsoon setup.

Also, does anybody know if you don't get the Monsoon system whether the basic hole for the sub is still there and just covered with some sort of plastic cover or plug? I could see them possibly doing that to make things simpler on the line, but have no idea if that's the way it's done or if they actually make the cuts only on the cars that get the speaker.

GMLinedog? Are you on this thread? Do you know?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'll be upgrading the system in my fiance's Solstice, even though it has the Monsoon system. Her Dad ordered it, so its his fault ;)

I am kind of a car audio freak, so it will be a fun task to set up the Solstice.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Monsoon

Firebird99 said:
:agree: My 2000 Firebird's sound is awesome too. Both kids re adjust equalizer even before buckling up. 1 Alternative and 1 RB\Rap, mine - classic rock and, umm, some disco (sorry, my age is showing), all sound great - tops in, tops out, over wind noise and even over my singing :leaving:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Zilla said:
Fortyninenorth hooked up his iPod and we listened to it (yesterday). I was really impressed for a factory system. QUOTE]

If this question was already posted and answered, my apologies, but on the note of the Monsoon Sound System, does anyone know for sure who manufacturers the new single and 6 CD XM head units that GM is phasing into their cars, like the Solstice. I can't find anything on the net about it. Shanks amigos ;)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I am actually hoping the monsoon system isn't over board on the bass. The subwoofer doesn't look particulairly huge, which I'm hoping should help keep it more controlable, tight and snappy.

Overblown booming bass is a lot of fun every once and a while when listening to rap, but it's hardly accurate or considered "good" sound by true audiophiles. A lot of people love to crank the bass up in their cars and all they really get is mono tone thuds. Ever notice how all cars with lots of bass all sound exactly the same driving by, no matter how big or small they are? The car itself acts as one big vibrating echo chamber which tends to eliminate smooth bass throughout the full bass frequency spectrum. All you get is a very condensed bass frequency. It's not how the music is supposed to sound or how the artists usually intended it to sound. You and I may like it, but that doesn't make it accurate (or good).

Typically (but not always) a "flat" response provides the truest most accurate sound. I have found that in most cars I've seen with "normal" everyday systems, having the bass turned down (or no higher than around mid-level), and turning the treble up slightly produces the flatest response. This will obviously vary from system to sytem, but I've found it's a good place to start.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.