Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know, just put the top down. But from the pictures I've seen, I can't make out where they'd squeeze in a compressor. (Don't get me started on that Tuperware engine cover). I know a purest would laugh at an A/C in a "back to basics roadster" but down here I'd give up a heater for an air conditioner! Assumeing for marketing reasons one has to be available, do you think it would be standard equipment and is included in the 2850 weight est? Or do I have to add it too?

Now there's a weight saver for you autocrossers. That and leave the roof, frame and glass window in the garage next to the passenger seat and side window glass. Can see those four adding up to over 200 pounds. Hmmm.......around 2600# with 240+ HP..... sounds interesting!

·
Registered
151 Posts
yeah, there is no way in hell that there won't be a/c. i can ALMOST gaurantee that it will be a standard option on the base model. NOBODY buying this car will want it w/o a/c, unless you plan on doing ONLY racing

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
There are days when you are better off using AC in a convertable with the top up, rather than putting the top down. I would imagine when it is 120 in Phoenix in the summer, putting the top down will just let the sun roast you like a hot dog on a grill, and you would really need the AC to keep decently cool in the car.

Even with the top down, an good AC system can still be used to cool you off a little, blow cold air on your arms and face to combat the heat from the sun. I use the AC in my Jeep all the time with the top down! Since nearly all cars have AC standard, I see no reason why it wouldn't be at least a Solstice option.

Does anyone know if the AC compressor and other accessories bolt directly to the Ecotec block like on some of GM's other engines? I've never gotten a good look at an ecotec to tell.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
From the "how would you option out your solstice?" thread:
solsticeman said:
I've driven many times on 90deg+ days with the top down and the A/C on :smile

Y'know, you're tryin' to be kool, cruisin' on the highway with top down and arm across the seat, but the sun is hotter than F**K, and your thighs are about to spontaneously combust... that A/C is just enough to keep your thighs and head just barely cool enough! :cool
:cheers

Cannot imagine A/C not available. If you look closely below (from the pontiac site) you will see a snowflake above an indicator light on the leftmost temperature dial. I would guess this means A/C. Saw something similar at the NAIAS in Detroit, looks exactly like the interior shown here:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3230

It will definitely have A/C. It may be optional, but it will be available.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Fformula88 said:
There are days when you are better off using AC in a convertable with the top up, rather than putting the top down. I would imagine when it is 120 in Phoenix in the summer, putting the top down will just let the sun roast you like a hot dog on a grill, and you would really need the AC to keep decently cool in the car.

Even with the top down, an good AC system can still be used to cool you off a little, blow cold air on your arms and face to combat the heat from the sun. I use the AC in my Jeep all the time with the top down! Since nearly all cars have AC standard, I see no reason why it wouldn't be at least a Solstice option.

Does anyone know if the AC compressor and other accessories bolt directly to the Ecotec block like on some of GM's other engines? I've never gotten a good look at an ecotec to tell.
South Florida REQUIRES A/C. There are days when I run the A/C in my soft top jeep with the top up, just so I can dry the 90* 90% humidity air enough to breath. Throw the daily evening downpours in the summer which force you to put the top up and you have two options for a car like this. A/C or not drive it during the summer.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Indeed they are. The alternator and A/C compressor are bolted directly to the block in my VUE (2.2L ecotec). As far as I can tell, those are the only two belt-driven accessories. The water pump sits inside the timing cover, I think, and there is no power steering pump.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Indeed they are. The alternator and A/C compressor are bolted directly to the block in my VUE (2.2L ecotec). As far as I can tell, those are the only two belt-driven accessories. The water pump sits inside the timing cover, I think, and there is no power steering pump.
Thanks! That is definately a plus, not only for vibration issues but also packaging. Since the Solstice will use hydraulic power steering, they must bolt that to the block too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts