Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by the Chrylser store on my way home from work yesterday and sat in a Crossfire coupe. Gee it was nice! Just the right size both inside and out, nice features (like heated seats), and great looks. I didn't drive the car cause it was late in the day and none of the sales staff paid any attention to me. I've heard that it's not really a sports car; that the steering is relatively vague and the handling is a little sloppy. But R&T shows it pulling .89g on the skidpad and posting a pretty good time through the slalom.

Anyone have an unbiased (relatively) opinion on how the car works as a daily driver?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
My problem is I would only ever want the SRT6, and it cost an astronomicaly stupid amount of money.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Test Drive SRT6

I test drove the SRT6 2 months ago. It handles alittle better than an Acura TL (new style). Plenty of torque and easy to get the rear end loose (test drove it with my girlfriend, oops I mean my neighbor.

The car steers just like a 300C which is not a bad thing, but it's not really tight to the road. It felt a little like a de-tuned C6 Corvette with the power steering being over-done below 80 mph. The C6 Covette doesn't have tight steering inputs until you get over 130 or so (computer controlled). It can be bought for $3000 under sticker if you work them.

I would go with the SRT6 ragtop, but $45K is a lot for it!

·
Registered
281 Posts
brentil said:
At that point I'd rather have the coupe Corvette instead.
One of the great things about the Corvette is the culture around it, too. The CorvetteForum is a terrific resource, and whatever problem or issue you have with your car, no matter how niggling or major, you can usually find someone of the CorvetteForum that's had and dealt with it and is willing to share their experience.

Crossfires are cool, but at that price point, Porsches, BMWs, and Corvettes can be had, and the owner's group support and car culture that comes with any these other cars is way better than the tiny owner's network you get when you buy a Crossfire.

I have high hopes that the Solstice and Sky are going to attract young and old alike, and that there will be a nice car-culture surrounding these cars.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I like the Crossfire, and would consider it a real sports car. If you can stay away from the options list, you should be able to get out of the dealer under $30K and at that price, I think its worth the dollars. It is essentially a reskinned Mercedes SLK roadster. It uses Mercedes drivetrains, suspension, etc, and is built by Karmann in Germany. Just be careful with options, because the price climbs quickly into the territory of many other worthy sports cars!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Then Crossfire is an awesome car. I really really enjoyed driving my mom's boyfriends Crossfire.

Needless to say my mom's just had a hip replacement and they would like to have someone interested in taking over the next 30 month lease which is zero down 300 a month. (had the car 9 months)

The problem is that in her seventies with the hip replacement .....she can't get in the car...

The cars in bergen county NJ...around 10 minutes from the George washington bridge...If you rinterested...

If I didn't already have three cars including a Z06 corvette....I'd have taken over the lease myself.

White Crossfire....black and a little gray interior...If I remember correctly..

Email me or PM me if your interested...

300 a month is a hell of a deal for this car. IMHO..

I really dig the car ....Very nice automatic two seat sporster...

Here's some earlier impressions of the car as I drove it.

http://www.crossedflags.com/nuke/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=search&mode=results

JB

·
Registered
162 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I like the Crossfire, and would consider it a real sports car. If you can stay away from the options list, you should be able to get out of the dealer under $30K and at that price, I think its worth the dollars. It is essentially a reskinned Mercedes SLK roadster. It uses Mercedes drivetrains, suspension, etc, and is built by Karmann in Germany. Just be careful with options, because the price climbs quickly into the territory of many other worthy sports cars!
I have driven the Crossfire and the new Slk. The crossfire does not come close to the performance of the SLK. I would get a SLK today but I can't afford the alimony and the SLK.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
The Crossfire has beautiful styling and appears to be a fantastic car. Unlike some people on this Forum, I like the ability to have wind blowing through my hair so a coupe is not for me. It is a beautiful piece of sheet metal though.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
leolaw said:
I have driven the Crossfire and the new Slk. The crossfire does not come close to the performance of the SLK. I would get a SLK today but I can't afford the alimony and the SLK.
The Crossfire is based off the last generation SLK, not the new 2005 which has been redesigned. One very important difference is that the new SLK has gone to a rack an pinion steering rack, where as the old SLK and therefore the Crossfive use a recirculating ball steering.

However, the Crossfire is essentially a clone of the last gen SLK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts