Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how many of you guys are track junkies and plan on bringing the solstice out to the track. I havent owned a car yet that I havent taken to its limits. I feel like its my duty as a car enthusiast. Does anyone else feel the same?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am not planning on racing it competitively really (like Solo 2 or anything), but I would like to get it on a track to really test out its full capabilities.

·
Registered
600 Posts
No, too old and have no idea where a track would be near me. Haven't raced since 1974. Used to race midgets then. Never could figure out asphalt. Loved the dirt. I'll leave the limit pushing to the younger generations. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Before I take it to a track I need to:

A) learn to drive manual
B) learn to drive RWD
c) find a local track
D) get some balls

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Once I get a hard top my Solstice will be hitting the track

For the group that I go with for track days, they will let Z4's and convertibles with pop-up roll bars like the Volvo run, but I'm not sure that the low profile bars under the batmobile head fairings will be high enough for them to let me run without a removable hard top. If I can get a hard top at the SEMA show, I'll be able to run, because while the SEMA top might not meet SCCA rules, it might be just fine for http://speedtrialusa.com.

Their motto is "Take it to the track!". I just got back from the May 22/23 event. I'm heading up to Willow Springs, "The Streets of Willow" again in July.

Here's a couple of pictures from May 23:

And one of the back of my head at the driver's meeting:

It's great fun. I encourage everyone to try it, but before you go, it would do you well to take the driving skills course from http://advanceddrivingdynamics.com/. Jim Snelling is an excellent teacher. I say this, because the peripheral vision enhancement exercise is an absolute MUST before you go out on the track, and Jim's skid control exercises are something you want to learn on that large parking lot skid pad, rather than on the track. Believe me, I know on both counts! :blush:

Drive fast on the track and don't race on the street. :cool:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't believe what I am hearing. Silly boys ;)

Manuals are easy, RWD is super fun, there are plenty of tracks rented out by various car clubs with instructors, and an occassional woman without balls whose out driving nonetheless.

I cant wait until these things come out and someone takes it out on track. This car is a well-designed, affordable, sports roadster, and I'd love to see how it performs against similar cars.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crimson Avenger said:
Drive fast on the track and don't race on the street. :cool:
:agree:

Although after a day at Willow going 130, its hard to get back on the 14 and crawl back home at a miserable 80 miles an hour. :devil:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Lillie said:
Although after a day at Willow going 130, its hard to get back on the 14 and crawl back home at a miserable 80 miles an hour. :devil:
That's what the cruise control is for. The local geandarms have their guns a'blazin' and RADAR's a tough rap to beat. ;)

In truth, though, by the end of the second day, you're usually pretty tired. Just don't make the mistake that I made, after I'd been home for about 2 hours and try making a hard turn onto a freeway on-ramp on cold tires with a lot of marbles stuck to them... On the track, you get used to a higher grip level, and unless you live down a twisty road from the fwy, your tires will be cold for that first turn, and you'll spin sure as not. Fortunately for me, I spun on a short straightaway between turn 1 and the right hand 180 onto the freeway, and kept the car between the curbs.

(For the uninitiated, you get a lot of rubber stuck to the tires from the R compound racing tires throwing off bits of rubber and with your tires just below the liquefaction point after a run, it sticks well enough that the bits you pick up after your last run as you drive into the paddock to cool off and pack up will carry with you for about a week after. The point is, that since it's only stuck to the tires, not actually part of the tread, it will ball up under high stress load and it's like driving on marbles until you get it scrubbed off. Unfortunately, the drive back home on the freeway doesn't rid the tires of more than about 1/3 of the marbles. Between my tires being cold (after being home for 2 hours), having the R compound debris on them, and my recent motor programmed knowledge of how fast I "should" be able to take the turn, I went in too fast, and turned nose for tail...)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'm going to complete the local PCA Drivers Ed classes prior to moving up to more advanced SCCA events. I want to get a SCCA legal rollbar in the car even if I never do SCCA events.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
brentil said:
I'm going to complete the local PCA Drivers Ed classes prior to moving up to more advanced SCCA events. I want to get a SCCA legal rollbar in the car even if I never do SCCA events.
Provided the convertible top can still work, or it can be unbolted I'm all for that option too. My hope however is that the removable hard top will meet SCCA rules, because that's probably the best of all worlds: minimal modifications, great for our snow/rain bound brethren, and possibly quieter than an unlined soft top.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had considered a Z4 and one of the cool things BMW offered was picking up the car at the plant in Spartanburg,SC. Part of the package was you got to take the car out on their track. You could then drive it home or have it shipped to your dealer. I've never had a car on a track but It would be cool if Pontiac would offer a simular option. It might reinforce their "performance" image.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
My hope however is that the removable hard top will meet SCCA rules,
If your thinking that the removable top will be accepted as a substitute for a legal rollbar, it won't. A convertible (open car) is a convertible, removable hardtop or not.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Autocross is a freakin' blast and a half. If you guys have never done it, you need to give it a try. The Solstice will be the perfect car for autocross.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
I plan on running Solo 2 provide the car meets all requirements. I've run Solo 2 in the past and loved every second of it.

I also have to really nice road courses near me (Gingerman and Gratten) which I plan on running at as well. Once people get their cars and we get some clubs running I'd like to get a club day event over at Gingerman for all who would like to attend. I know a few people who run in clubs over there and hopefully could get something set up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.