Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talking to my painter, he made me see my error, instead of white stripes on my black solstice, he will paint silver instead, will go better with the chrome as well as my polished wheels. I will also be blacking out the front grill.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
All GTO's should have those recessed grilles!

·
Registered
711 Posts
I definately will be putting aftermarket parts on my car, however how much depends on my finances and also what's out on the market. I like the conservative look, so I probably won't be glittering up the car with gobs of chrome accessories. That said I'll probably debadge it, put on some BBS rims and toss on an aftermarket hard-top whenever it becomes available. :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
Look at my sig for the mods and my avatar for the paint job:)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Twin 10" silver stripes (whatever is same width as top of grill openings). I'll probably also have the seats customized with red leather trim (headrest area, etc) similar to the Sky seats.

I'm Getting Mysterious/Ebony leather with polished.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I am taking a wait and see attitude. Initially the Sol will be so new the customizing it won't be neccessary. It is, and will be, for year or so, a new and rare car on the road. I suspect that it won't long that tuners will have a variety of afermarket goodies available. Then I will look at possibly changing out the grill.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Fak429 - How much is the paint gonna cost ya? Is he painting the car or painting vinyl stripes and applying them? I definintely want them one way or the other. Silver will be way cooler than white. (unless a white top was an option. white stripes and top on a blue car would be sweet.) I will go for the dark grey with silver to match the window surround or vise versa.

·
Registered
61 Posts
waiting said:
How do these look? they are definitely not straight lines or even widths, but they follow the lines of the car. Does the placement look right?
I don't know, i see what you were trying to do and you pulled it off, but they seem too wide. Not racy enough to be racing stripes. They just don't look right, IMHO.

·
Registered
281 Posts
waiting said:
How do these look? they are definitely not straight lines or even widths, but they follow the lines of the car. Does the placement look right?
Nice, but honestly, IMHO, stripes that go all the way to the bottom edge of the car (kinda ricey, sorry!) don't look as good as stripes that end in a more deliberately finished manner on the body of the car. Picture is worth a thousand words:

·
Registered
397 Posts
waiting said:
I kinda like the taper effect at the front :) - although they are too wide for traditional racing stripes.
Defininely silver (on the black) and along the lines of a 70's Chevelle or Camaro I'm thinking.

Anyone know how much something like this would cost? Preferably painted, not vinyl and topcoat.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Price for quality painted stripes could end up being about $2500.

You can get it cheaper, but if you are going to go with paint stripes, it is worth it to get a quality job done.

I suggest (my $.02) that you get vinyl at first to see if you can live with the stripes, then get the paint done 6 months later (cooling off period, etc).

·
Registered
397 Posts
Frosty said:
I suggest (my $.02) that you get vinyl at first to see if you can live with the stripes, then get the paint done 6 months later (cooling off period, etc).
:agree: It's definately not for everyone. I have a feeling this car will be so hot that it won't need anything right out of the box.
Maybe somewhere down the line, when there's a bunch of Sols on the road and ya' feel like standing out again.

Who knows - maybe we'll be seeing a flamed mysterious paint job in the years to come. :willy:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm planning on vinyl first, but for now I am using painters tape and a paint pen on my 1:18 model. I like the idea shown on the yellow car, but feel the stripe needs to come from the grilles and move to the back over the seatbacks. I never thought it should go below the grilles. here is my next idea. The black lines in the stripes would be just the main color of the body showing through. Any better?

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
I like it...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ive been thinking of moding the old firebird symbol, drawing the same bird but using a different style like tribal, to make it look sharper and more agressive, and putting that on the hood in silver(to go with my deep solstice). Id also apply the silver racing stripes in some fashion like a bunch of people have been posting. If they dont ever put out a charged version that will be the biggest mod I plan to do, besides maybe changing tires and POSSIBLY sometime getting different rims, if I ever find a set that looks so much better I have to have them. Ah and one other thing, powder coating the painted aluminum rims to match the paintjob!!! :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts