Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owner's manual is uselss and apple site no better. Have any other new owner's figured out the proper cable to purchase?

·
Registered
515 Posts
pwaiting said:
The owner's manual is uselss and apple site no better. Have any other new owner's figured out the proper cable to purchase?
Should be a standard 3.5mm mini stereo patch cable. You should be able to buy one just about anywhere. Wal-Mart, Best-Buy, RadioShack, etc.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
So it's using the output from the headphone jack on the iPod?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
If you plug it into the headphone jack, then yes.

The device posted in the 'best solution' thread draws it's audio signal from the special receptacle at the bottom. I don't know too much about iPods as I don't have mine yet, but this alternative way to get the signal yeilds much better sound quality than just the headphone jack would.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Editguy said:
So it's using the output from the headphone jack on the iPod?
I'm assuming that it is a LINE level input, but few mp3 players have LINE level outs. Most people will use the headphone out on their players.

Just some setup suggestions...
  1. Tune to your favorite FM station and set the volume at "normal" listening level.
  2. With the volume all the way down on your MP3 player, switch to the AUX input are the car receiver without changing the car's volume setting.
  3. Slowly bring the volume up on your mp3 player until it reaches the same "normal" level.
  4. Use the car's volume settings from here on out.
This ensures that your mp3 players headphone out signal is roughly line level. This should give you the best sound quality.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
dori-san said:
If you plug it into the headphone jack, then yes.

The device posted in the 'best solution' thread draws it's audio signal from the special receptacle at the bottom. I don't know too much about iPods as I don't have mine yet, but this alternative way to get the signal yeilds much better sound quality than just the headphone jack would.

:thumbs:
That's what I thought, but I thought that connector teriminated to a usb connector?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Chris said:
I'm assuming that it is a LINE level input, but few mp3 players have LINE level outs. Most people will use the headphone out on their players.

1. Tune to your favorite FM station and set the volume at "normal" listening level.
  2. With the volume all the way down on your MP3 player, switch to the AUX input are the car receiver without changing the car's volume setting.
  3. Slowly bring the volume up on your mp3 player until it reaches the same "normal" level.
This ensures that your mp3 players headphone out signal is roughly line level. This should give you the best sound quality.
My NOMAD Jukebox I had for years had Line-out, and then I got my iPod. In my experience, the best volume for the iPod is about 2/3 to 3/4 volume when sending to a car stereo. It's a fine balance, because if your player is too low, then you end up clipping your head-unit... and if you have your player too high, it clips.

My signature has a link to The Best iPod Solution for the Solstice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
pwaiting said:
Through another comment on the site I found out about the Transpod.
http://www.dlodirect.com/Products/car_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=11265600702094265

I ordered one in anticipation of my Sol. They have white, black and silver ones and the ipod slips right in. It comes with all the cables you need to hook it up. Both a 1/8 cable and a tape adapter. So far I quite like it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Chris said:

Great info...I have my 40 gig i pod loaded and ready. Just missing one thing. A car! :brentil:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Fortimir said:
My NOMAD Jukebox I had for years had Line-out, and then I got my iPod. In my experience, the best volume for the iPod is about 2/3 to 3/4 volume when sending to a car stereo. It's a fine balance, because if your player is too low, then you end up clipping your head-unit... and if you have your player too high, it clips.
Yup. Exactly the reason for adjusting your mp3 player volume (setting on device) to roughly match the volume output (dB's in the car) of FM radio. This should ensure both devices are in "happy" ranges.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
stunty3 said:
A little off the subject, but have you guys seen the new iPod Nano?

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

I've been holding out to buy one, but this looks like it's a winner. I think it will look great in my new Solstice.
I think it replaces the iPod mini.

·
Registered
515 Posts
stunty3 said:
A little off the subject, but have you guys seen the new iPod Nano?

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

I've been holding out to buy one, but this looks like it's a winner. I think it will look great in my new Solstice.
I like the 20GB storage in my Rio Karma, but to get 4GB of RAM in that form factor is amazing! If I didn't have the Karma, I would have ordered a nano by now.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I purchased the Belkin power adapter off the Apple websie and tried it out in a Solstice last month in Oshawa. It works fine, includes an adjustable preamp so you can match the volume to the radio level. Any mini to mini input works between the adapter and the Aux I/P on the radio.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Chris said:
I like the 20GB storage in my Rio Karma, but to get 4GB of RAM in that form factor is amazing! If I didn't have the Karma, I would have ordered a nano by now.
Just checked out the Nano on Apple's site. Looks very cool! Will probably pick one up :agree:
:agree:
:cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Mayor said:
Just checked out the Nano on Apple's site. Looks very cool! Will probably pick one up :agree:
:agree:
:cool:
I stopped by the local Apple store this evening for other reasons and took a look at one. I thought it looked nice in the pictures, but I was totally wowed when I picked it up. It is so light you barely even feel it in your hand, and the color screen is great. Very impressive.

Now if Apple would just hurry up and get those new intel portables out I would be thrilled.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts