Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my car but the one thing that has always bugged me was the lack of a spare tire for long road trips. I just don't trust fix-a-flat cans enough especially when my gf and I seem to have crappy luck on our road trips in the past with getting flats.

With that in mind, I've been reading up on the latest models of runflats and they seem to have improved quite a bit since the older generation ones. For reference, I'm running Kumho Ecsta Platinum LX All-seasons at the moment (great tires btw) but was looking at these for the next set.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT

Anybody running any? And if so what are you running?

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
This has been discussed many times over the years.

Here is my synopsis of the conversations.

1) RFs are heavier, provide a harsher ride
2) RFs are a lot more expensive if you can find them in the proper size and application
3) RFs are good for ONE flat, then you have to replace them. Basically they are not repairable. Since they generally run a tire within a tire, you cannot repair a hole from the inside as required for a permanent repair
4) Most drivers travel for many thousands, tens of thousands of miles without ever encountering a flat, so the risk is very low.
5) Carrying a plug kit ($7 to $10) will allow you to do roadside repair of 99% of flat tires.
6) Using the enclosed fix-a-flat emergency goop is a bad idea. It will destroy your tire pressure sensors. If left in the tire for more than 24 hours, the tire cannot be repaired because of the chemical composition of the goop.

I always carry a plug kit and if / when I get a flat I will use it and air up the existing non-run flat tire.

The only time I have ever had a flat on the freeway away from home I hit a brick at 75 and no tire would have precluded failure.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I had run flats off of a Corvette on mine for about 3 yrs. They are nosier and rougher ride(not to much). I have driven from Texas to Fl, GA and CA on them. Staying on the Interstates they are ok, but a lot more tire hum. I got them for the same reason you mentioned. The security they give you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts