Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's kind of early and they probably have nothing new to add but has anyone spoken to their Pontiac dealer yet? Is anyone on any kind of list for ordering one when that opens up?

Also, does anyone have any knowledge of GM ordering process? Can they issue a VIN at time order is placed? Do they have a tracking system customers can use to track their order?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dealership Communication

mceb said:
I know it's kind of early and they probably have nothing new to add but has anyone spoken to their Pontiac dealer yet? Is anyone on any kind of list for ordering one when that opens up?
The dealership in Bakersfield, CA, has put my name down on a "first shipment" list that previously did not exist. The list was not detailed in anyway other than preference for color. He will not take a deposit until 2005 as "it would screw up this year's accounting".

When I went into the dealership, three salesmen were standing outside and one of them asked if he could help me. I said "Do you know what a Solstice is?" and he replied, "No". So I went in and asked for the Sales Manager. He was knowledgeable and I now have my name down. Don't know if this "first shipment" list will help me or not. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hoffman said:
Don't know if this "first shipment" list will help me or not. What do you think?
The list is probably just a reminder to call these people when ordering begins. I'm assuming that this forum will know before the dealer does when the ordering process begins in 2005 :lol

The list could be important if dealer uses it give priority in some way for ordering (assuming they have a finite number of orders they can input). Hard to say.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've asked 3 different dealerships about the possibility of pre-ordering and they all said they had no information yet on when that will be available. They said that they'd keep my information and contact me whenever the option is available however. I'm hoping they do something like with the GTO where they allow you to do a custom order far in advance, except hopefully they'll more customization than just the color and tranny choice.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Searched the web and found this article on GTO ordering back in 2003. As simmonsmb mentioned they did have a pre-order process for GTO. Looks promising if they use same for Solstice but as simmonsmb mentioned doesn't go into anything other than color and trans.

http://www.gmfleet.com/us/about/news/articles/062003.html

Quote..."The advanced order program also provides Pontiac dealers with information on their initial allocation of GTOs, helping to avoid a common problem with limited production vehicles. "With some high-demand, low-volume models in the past, dealers have been uncertain how many of the vehicles they will receive, leading to situations where a dealer over-sells, is unable to deliver the product, and ends up with an unhappy customer," said Bob Kraut, GTO marketing director. "With this advanced order program, our Pontiac dealers will have all of the necessary information to ensure that buyers lucky enough to purchase one of these GTOs will receive the vehicle they ordered about 90-days after it is built."

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Official ordering for the C6 Corvette has not even begun yet. Dealers are taking deposits, but GM will not except orders until the end of May. At that point they will have options and prices solidified and available. So basically dealers are just taking orders on their own accord, and getting people in the que to get their car. I would be surprised if many Pontiac dealers would even take money at this point, with the car being over a year off. I would think next winter to spring would be a good time to get serious about talking to dealers, they should have much better information by then.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It is ashame that most car dealers are not "car guys". Most don't know what you are talking about when you ask them a question about a new product. I have yet to start a true "list" but I am willing to start one if you guys are ready. You will not be able to track your own car the dealer you have an order with will give you the tracking info. But these cars are to be built in the States if I am correct on my info so that means they will not take as long to get to our dealership like the GTO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
GTOJ, If I were to purchase a Solstice from you, how would I get it? Would you ship it to me, or would it be delivered to me through my local dealer, or would I have to drive down to get it? How much would it all cost?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
88 Posts
First we have to see if I can drop ship the car to another dealer. I do not like doing it on GTOs because I don't want to have something wrong with the car and me never seeing the car. I don't want to do that to a customer. I can deliver the car to you or you could come down and drive it home. We just have to see how many cars are allocated to dealers to see if a drop ship would make sense. Because a small dealer may not want to do it because they don't make the sale I do and they just deliver the car to you. We will see.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Perry Pontiac in Norfolk, VA, has started a list - my name is on the first one to hit the lot. :party Deposit required when options are selected - they are estimating December 2004. Wally Walton is the Solstice point-of-contact.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If it is Dec 2004 we expect us to be able to pick options. If any of you guys want me to start a list I am all up for it. Let me know.

Jason

·
Registered
85 Posts
December 2004 was the date that the manager mentioned that information would hit the dealers. At that time, a deposit would be required to hold my position. Ordering information would come in later. I am pretty sure that the magazines will have information on the options around that time. I already have a good idea of what I want. Making the selections in December or the morning that production on my car starts - no difference to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts