Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 Coupe came with OnStar. I starting to research it. My first reaction is to get rid of it and replace the head unit with a Kenwood DNX892. I will only be driving my Coupe about 2000 miles per year. I like the aftermarket head unit for the looks, screen and Garmin Nav.
I am thinking that my factory OnStar system is seven years old. Technology has come a long way in that time. Looking forward to being educated on the pros and cons of OnStar.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I keep mine active, mostly in case I ever get a flat tire that I can't inflate. I let OnStar report my mileage to my insurance company, and that gets me a discount that equals about half of the cost of OnStar. I have the "protection" level; mostly emergency response and roadside assist.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Does onstar just report the mileage to your insurance or also the time so they can calculate your speed ? :)

Opel has introduced onstar in Europe last year, but they told me they do not support cars equipped with the US system. :-(
As far as I know, just the mileage. I get the low mileage discount from the insurance company.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Onstar cars have special button on the rearview mirror, code R6K on the sticker in the glovebox and the sat antenna on the trunk lid.
Nope, never had... but my rearview mirror did fall off several times after some doorknob hit me backing out... :banghead: maybe the special button came off? :wink:

But nope, never had OnStar and don't think I would use it if I did. I have a working phone and AAA, plus... What if your car's battery goes out? You're SOL ...

·
Registered
702 Posts
My 2009 Coupe came with OnStar. I starting to research it. My first reaction is to get rid of it and replace the head unit with a Kenwood DNX892. I will only be driving my Coupe about 2000 miles per year. I like the aftermarket head unit for the looks, screen and Garmin Nav.
I am thinking that my factory OnStar system is seven years old. Technology has come a long way in that time. Looking forward to being educated on the pros and cons of OnStar.
Well, this is sort of a trick question, sort of like asking if you like blondes, brunettes or red heads better -- obviously individual mileage, taste and needs may vary.

1) From my personal point of view, I do have OnStar. At this point in life, it just gives me an intangible feeling of security. Also do not overlook the fact that if you are in an accident, you may be unconscious and thus not be able to use your cell phone and OnStar could save your life. (Big Brother conspiracy theorists need not apply :devil:)

2) As to a different radio, I have to ask "Why?" A radio station is a radio station, a CD is a CD, IMHO the factory radio works fine; furthermore you only drive 2000 miles a year. Also, I would refer you to the many electrical/interface problems posted here that can occur when you start tinkering with factory stock.

Just my :jm2c:

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, this is sort of a trick question, sort of like asking if you like blondes, brunettes or red heads better -- obviously individual mileage, taste and needs may vary.

1) From my personal point of view, I do have OnStar. At this point in life, it just gives me an intangible feeling of security. Also do not overlook the fact that if you are in an accident, you may be unconscious and thus not be able to use your cell phone and OnStar could save your life. (Big Brother conspiracy theorists need not apply :devil:)

2) As to a different radio, I have to ask "Why?" A radio station is a radio station, a CD is a CD, IMHO the factory radio works fine; furthermore you only drive 2000 miles a year. Also, I would refer you to the many electrical/interface problems posted here that can occur when you start tinkering with factory stock.

Just my :jm2c:
Thanks for the feedback.:thumbs:The different head unit is really about having everything in the dash and the look ( personnel preference) I have the Kenwood DNX892 installed professionally in my mean roadster and I love it with no issues. Am thinking about the same unit for the Coupe. This way I have Nav and back up camera ( a must for a Coupe) in the dash and not mounted somewhere with wires.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I keep mine working just case.

·
Super Moderator
15,940 Posts
I have it on both the wife's cars as an emergency / safety device. It's unobtrusive and not expensive. I have the Chrysler version in my truck because I use onboard apps and it comes along. Again it's for safety and emergencies

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
Said this many times, but I put a Kenwood in my wife's car and just hate the user interface, where either the area to push is so small that you can't do it while driving (like to scroll the record info) or that you need to go through multiple arcane menus to do anything. I would hope that other brands are better.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
For me the only reason for the OnStar is the emergency notification in case of serious accident. Their phone minutes are ridiculous. I had unlimited on my dually, tried to change to the Green Sky, no way. So just have the basic service to it.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Am not going to connect OnStar but will leave everything in place so that the next owner down the road has the option. Am going to replace the head unit and obviously keep the factory unit so it can be reinstalled if required down the road.:thumbs::thumbs:

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Northern Sol...You may need to upgrade in Canada to 4G to keep Onstar working. I had to upgrade my 2014 Sierra. It was a free upgrade under warranty. I think you may have to pay to have 4G module if you are out of warranty. The Onstar needs the upgrade to continue working after a certain date.

From website.... Due to recent Canadian Wireless Network Changes, some vehicles may require a hardware upgrade in order to activate and access OnStar services. Hardware upgrade eligibility depends on your vehicle and will be determined as you complete the reactivation process.

Website... https://www.onstar.com/ca/en/onstar-hardware-upgrade.html

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Northern Sol...You may need to upgrade in Canada to 4G to keep Onstar working. I had to upgrade my 2014 Sierra. It was a free upgrade under warranty. I think you may have to pay to have 4G module if you are out of warranty. The Onstar needs the upgrade to continue working after a certain date.

From website.... Due to recent Canadian Wireless Network Changes, some vehicles may require a hardware upgrade in order to activate and access OnStar services. Hardware upgrade eligibility depends on your vehicle and will be determined as you complete the reactivation process.

Website... https://www.onstar.com/ca/en/onstar-hardware-upgrade.html
Thanks fellow "Canuck Couper". Just going to go with a new head unit and back up camera. Will leave ONStar installed but not active so she stays the way she came.

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
The Onstar unit remains capable of connecting with the monitoring service even when you are no longer a subscriber (found that out by hitting the wrong button one day).

Sitting in ditch, push button:

"Hello, Onstar, I have a couple of things - first I'd like to renew my Onstar for the shortest period possibe. Second, I have this little problem you might be able to help me with....."

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Your phones actually only use a .5W and in rural locations, this can be an issue. The Onstar system uses 3W of power so your almost always connected. There is a 30 second "battery" (I think it's '08 and newer for this) that will power it should you be in too bad of a crash where the battery is crushed. Basically it's long enough to report your location should this ever happen. As far as phone goes, when they were using Verizon(I think it was Verizon), if you were a Verizon customer they offered unlimited calling for $10/month, but many people didn't know this and it was kind of a secret deal. Now that they're AT&T, even if your an AT&T customer, the pricing is still outrageous. I have the UConnect in my Challenger and love it. I can look to make sure my car is the parking garage at the airport when I'm in California. The advantage of UConnect over OnStar is that I get an immediate text and email when my car is started without my key or if it's moved by tow truck.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Your phones actually only use a .5W and in rural locations, this can be an issue. The Onstar system uses 3W of power so your almost always connected. There is a 30 second "battery" (I think it's '08 and newer for this) that will power it should you be in too bad of a crash where the battery is crushed. Basically it's long enough to report your location should this ever happen. As far as phone goes, when they were using Verizon(I think it was Verizon), if you were a Verizon customer they offered unlimited calling for $10/month, but many people didn't know this and it was kind of a secret deal. Now that they're AT&T, even if your an AT&T customer, the pricing is still outrageous. I have the UConnect in my Challenger and love it. I can look to make sure my car is the parking garage at the airport when I'm in California. The advantage of UConnect over OnStar is that I get an immediate text and email when my car is started without my key or if it's moved by tow truck.
I wasn't aware of the switch, so I did some research. It looks like it took place in mid model year '14, and older vehicles (all Kappas) are still on Verizon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts