Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With prices continuing to drop (and will for the foreseeable future) are any coupe owners tempted to buy a 2nd?

I would if I could afford it and had the space, definitely a manual but not sure on engine because V8 coupes are all kinds of awesome.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Why would anyone want more than one of a given model? What could an additional carbon copy add that you wouldn't get with the first one?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Why would anyone want more than one of a given model? What could an additional carbon copy add that you wouldn't get with the first one?
Probably (and I'm guessing here mind ya) in the hopes that these coupes will become a "collectors" item, reverse the fact that the older it gets the cheaper it'll be, and in 20-30 years they'll be able to get 30k for it...:D :devil: Granted, it ain't much of an investment..:D

·
Premium Member
18,482 Posts
Take off your INTJ hat for a minute. ;):);)

Some people bought an NA coup or an auto GXP. They are emotionally and $$f invested in that car.

But . . .

1) they feel like they can not "play" with it - either risky behavior or mods or both.

2) they really wanted a manual vice the auto they have

3) they really wanted a GXP over the NA they have

In my case, Punisher and the Dragon never see incliment weather. And they are not great road cars due to noise, limited space etc. Having a "cheap" coup could concievably add the ability to use a Sol as a "daily driver" or incliment weather driver, and offers a bit more comfort on long trips.

Personally, I have considered on many occasions picking up a cheap, well used NA coup to have as a "daily driver toy".:thumbs:

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nada on thinking investment. As far as why, I don't see much difference than having a couple of the same suits in different colors. Someday you want to wear blue, someday you want to wear grey. Sometimes I'll see a pic of a nice white coupe and go, wow that really is nice color. Another day I see a pic of a silver coupe and go, wow that really is a nice color. Or even see a non OEM color and go, hmmm, I bet a coupe would look cool in that color.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Uh - if you are talking about something less expensive, like pens (I also collect fountain pens), I can see owning more than one if you want different colours or finishes.

If you are seriously suggesting that people might want to own more than one car in different colours to suit their mood of the day, you must live in a considerably more affluent neighbourhood than I do!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Uh - if you are talking about something less expensive, like pens (I also collect fountain pens), I can see owning more than one if you want different colours or finishes.

If you are seriously suggesting that people might want to own more than one car in different colours to suit their mood of the day, you must live in a considerably more affluent neighbourhood than I do!
I have a Monte Blanc that people have said is over $50! It comes in a nice blue and I like it! ;) Haha Bill, you're quite the fellow!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I want a wicked or brazen coupe, I can't afford, I spent to much mod my black one.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I wish they made an Envious coupe. (It actually only existed as a coupe mule before it was sent to the crusher...), Envious...in an Auto GXP... I'd be hooked! (I've also got extra space in the ol' garage if just such a thing existed...)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would like to strip one down to the bare essentials and add a V8. By bare I mean remove top, exterior door handles, door glass etc. Remove all the duct work heating systems all of it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't see where the prices are "continuing to drop". They seem to average about 25K for the GXP coupes and 20K for the N/A's and that's 4 years after they have gone out of production. And I sure don't see that they will drop for the "forseeable future". In fact some of the classic auto insurance companies have recognized the coupe's collector value and are now insuring them with the same kind of policy that they reserve for the older collector cars.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
I have a Monte Blanc that people have said is over $50! It comes in a nice blue and I like it! ;) Haha Bill, you're quite the fellow!
The pen brand is 'Montblanc' all one word, though many people on ebay fail to get that (the problem is exacerbated by MB sometimes separating the parts of the name on logos etc.) Not sure what the lower end MB pens go for, but $50 would probably be about the bottom end or a used pen. I have around a dozen MB pens in my collection and enjoy using them, but they are over hyped and over priced, so you are paying a lot for the name when you can buy just as good a pen from another maker for less. Same issues in watch collecting (another of my weaknesses) - that's why I own several Omegas instead of Rolex.

So that my wife will stop wanting to borrow mine!! :willy::brentil::lol:
I've twice had twin cars for that reason, in all the cars I've owned (between 70 and 80 total). My wife and I drove a couple of MGAs for awhile, and she drove my 87 Fiero when I bought the 1988, not wanting to sell first and buy when another came up for fear that it would take a long time to find the right car (it did - two years to find a good 88 GT, and similarly I waited on a good deal to buy a Maserati Ghibli at a very good price while I was trying to sell a Jensen Interceptor convertible, and of course the Maser went south and sold for way more. It wasn't all bad, though - I missed out on the Maser but ended up with a Lamborghini instead just by chance).

I later restored a different model of MG (6 cylinder MGC) as my wife's car, because as I said, I see no point in having two copies of exactly the same model. If you bought an auto coupe and want a manual, go buy one and sell the auto. Bought an NA ands want a GXP (probably a common occurrence) sell one, buy the other.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In fact some of the classic auto insurance companies have recognized the coupe's collector value and are now insuring them with the same kind of policy that they reserve for the older collector cars.
Care to share who? When I checked w/some of the more popular classic insurers a couple years ago was told it was too new.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Chop - I think a lot of companies issue you a policy based on so called collectability, but it doesn't mean you car is 'special', it just means they want your money and they'll get it if the tell you it is collectible. Having said that, look at the fine print. Hagerty will give a policy on any Kappa, coupe or not - but there are limitations about each person in the house also having a regular use vehicle of a certain age and you'd be limited in coverage.

And there is nothing saying they'll insure your coupe for $100,000 just because you want it to be worth that either. Take a look:

Newer Vehicles: limited production, exotic & special interest

·
Premium Member
18,482 Posts
Chop - I think a lot of companies issue you a policy based on so called collectability, but it doesn't mean you car is 'special', it just means they want your money and they'll get it if the tell you it is collectible. Having said that, look at the fine print. Hagerty will give a policy on any Kappa, coupe or not - but there are limitations about each person in the house also having a regular use vehicle of a certain age and you'd be limited in coverage.

And there is nothing saying they'll insure your coupe for $100,000 just because you want it to be worth that either. Take a look:

Newer Vehicles: limited production, exotic & special interest
I have looked into this extensively of late. Basically there are companies like Grundy that will allow you to call any car you own and have "extensively modified" a "collector " vehicle for purposes of establishing a policy based on agreed value. You tell them that you invested X dollars and want to insure your vehicle for that ammount, provide reasonable proof - pictures and reciepts - and they charge you accordingly. It has little to do with the "collectability" of a particular car because of course until the car is sold (or lost) the actual value is indeterminate. And insurance companies are not in the business of issuing policies based on indeterminate valuation.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.