Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
If it were not for the SOL. I would have bought a new 330, an older M3, or an older 911...Excuuuuse Me...Pre-Owned... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Not crazy!

Soltoy said:
It's a '99 and I guess I'm bored, yet veryone I tell this to says I'm crazy.
If you are like me I have to have a new car every two years or so. I have gone from high dollar to lower and back again. I just love cars period and enjoy each one for what it is! :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I have a '96 Z3 right now and I had pretty much decided on either a Mercedes SLK or a Porsche Boxster as my next car. But the looks of this car blow both of them away in my opinion. I like the hardtop convertible idea, so the SLK had some points there, but it just looks kind of boxy for a roadster. The Boxster looks better than the SLK, but I still think the Solstice has an edge in overall exterior looks. And then when you look at the price, it's an easy sell. I never thought I'd buy a GM car, but they've got a real winner when it comes to the design of that thing, so I'm going to give them a shot. If the rest of the car comes close to expectations as far as basic performance and reliability, they just may have earned my future business.

·
5,600 Posts
Well, I think your nuts. All things being equal, I would rather have a Boxster than a Solstice. It is a great sports car and will certainly outperform the Pontiac while being far more refined.

If you need a cost-cutting move, more power to you. Otherwise, I would say you get bored awfully easily. I would keep the Porsche unless you are stepping down for finacial reasons. I love the Solstice, but let's not get carried away here.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Wow, I also have a 99 Porsche Boxster (Sport Touring Package, LoJack, Speedster Tonneau). I ordered a Solstice today. So don't feel bad, there is someone else out there as crazy as you. Yes, my friends are saying the same thing. But I don't think they've had a good look at the Solstice. It is quite unique and awesome!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yeah, the Boxster is a great little car, but they've been out for a while and they're everywhere now. I could also see getting a bit bored with any car after a while. The Solstice is not only completely new, but it's really unlike anything else out there. I guarantee it will be getting more looks on the road than than a Boxster for at least the next year or two while people get their first glimpse of one.

And as far as being a fun little car, you don't need lots of horses to have fun with it. If it handles well and has good grip, it'll be a nice ride. I'm not going to be drag-racing in it anyway, so 177 Hp is plenty to get that little car going. My Z3 has less power, but it's still a lot of fun to drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Agree

The Solstice looks better than the Boxster to my eyes, although the '05 Boxsters are awfully close imo.

Also, the 99 Boxster was not terribly fast as sports cars go and lacked many of the styling tweaks that made the '00, '03 and '05 Boxsters look more integrated. As for the interior, the '99 Boxsters had some pretty cheap bits.

If it turns out you don't like the way the car handles, etc. you can certainly find a buyer in a few years. I say go for it! If you decide to go back to Boxsters, maybe you can buy a used '05. :)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The Boxtser is one sweet ride. I am not sure I would feel satisfied with a lower power car such as the Solstice for very long, after having a Boxster. I wonder if you wouldn't be happier waiting for the rumored turbocharged Solstice. It is rumored to be available late next summer to early fall as a 2007 model year vehicle, and is likely to perform closer to your Boxster.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had pretty much decided that a Boxter was going to be my next car, but once I saw the Sol, I changed my mind. I'd rather spend $30,000 for a FI Sol than $50 - $60,000 for a Boxter. I can buy some pretty neat toys with the leftover $20,000.

In my estimation, sports cars are starting to get to the point where sport bikes have been for years: they offer more performance than can be safely used on a public road. Maybe my attitude is attributable to the caution that comes with age, but driving a Boxter at 9/10s (or even 8/10s) on public roads seems pretty irresponsible. It may very well be that the same will be true of the Sol, but if I'm going to pay for performance that I can't use, I'd rather pay less.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
palmer said:
IIn my estimation, sports cars are starting to get to the point where sport bikes have been for years: they offer more performance than can be safely used on a public road.
:agree: The joy I get out of a roadster is having a cool little car that I can drive with the top down and have fun with. Now I might like driving on a tight, winding road, but just plain stomping the gas and seeing how fast I can take off doesn't really do it for me. It wouldn't really affect my appreciation of the car or change how fast I get bored with it. Besides, I already get plenty of tickets they way I drive now ... I don't need to draw any more attention to myself with a fast launch.

·
5,600 Posts
About the same as a base Solstice, 7.5.

But I assume the Boxster driving experience goes way beyond 0-60 numbers. If you worry about 0-60 in a 3-series BMW, you are looking at it wrong. If you haven't driven one, you probably don't understand. 3-series cars have superb balance and feel. They want to be pushed. It makes you a more confident driver and makes for very fun driving.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think your crazy, but I do understand about getting bored with a car.

If it is just for street driving it probably won't make a difference.

I've recently gotten into auto-x and because of it, I now love my car MORE!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts