Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, is anyone is looking at hosting 2017? No, do don't look at us, we already have our hands full with 2016. [Translation - I'm trying to get folks thinking about 2017 so that this train keeps on rolling!]

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Just wondering, is anyone is looking at hosting 2017? No, do don't look at us, we already have our hands full with 2016. [Translation - I'm trying to get folks thinking about 2017 so that this train keeps on rolling!]
I heard a rumor at the banquet that Michigan was looking at it. Even if not true, it sounds like a good idea to me.. :)

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
Michigan has plenty of qualified peeps, that would be awesome!

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
Don't keep that rumor going! Lower peninsular MI does not have the roads for a good event. The Detroit area would suck for road tours. Best location would be northern lower peninsula and that is touristy /crowded in June plus super expensive. We just finished planning a MI Mitten tour that we are doing for four days next week. Have 22 kappas attending and we had very difficult time finding motels or restaurants that would accommodate us. Getting participants to drive to northern MI with the limited access we have would probably lead to a minimal attendance. None of the few people the keep MKC going live in the Northern part of state. This is all just my opinion!

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Certainly every part of this country has areas that are of interest and would be fun to visit but if one of the goals is to increase attendance would it make sense to try and focus on the cities that are within a reasonable drive of a significant number of members?? Some examples might include Louisville, St Louis, Nashville, Memphis...you get the idea. Obviously there would need to be years that would be favorable to the west coast. Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
While I would love to see a Michigan event (obviously), I agree with Wicked Mike, northern Michigan would be the best location for scenic drives. And therein lies the problem, I don't see that many people from other states wanting to drive that far.

Now if the Nationals was less about driving events and more about visiting a couple of iconic tourist sites such as the Henry Ford Museum, Frankenmuth (Christmas 356 days a year, 7 days week), and the GM Heritage Center, then I think lower Michigan would be a great area).

Better yet, if the Nationals could be coordinated around the largest car show in the world, the annual Woodward Dream Cruise (always the 3rd Saturday of August), I would like to think everyone would really enjoy themselves because the Woodward Dream Cruise is geared toward the casual to hardcore auto enthusiast.

As far as the Nationals goes, what I'd like to ideally see is it be held in the same location every five years. Preferable, based on the VIN date and not the production date (so 2021 would be the Solstice 15th year anniversary). According to Google the geographical center of the United States is Lebanon, KS (this does not include Alaska, Hawaii, or any other areas outside the borders of the U.S.A. The benefit of this idea is that every five years everyone would know that it will be in the same location. However, the idea would require everyone working together to make it happen, instead of just one group being responsible for coordinating everything.

BTW, I know that Lebanon, KS is not considered the geographical center of the U.S.A. by everyone. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Didnt they use to hold one of the biggest out door car shows in St. Ignace Mich. back in the 70s & 80s. i remember going to it .it was huge. i agree you need things to go & do .

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
Didnt they use to hold one of the biggest out door car shows in St. Ignace Mich. back in the 70s & 80s. i remember going to it .it was huge. i agree you need things to go & do .
Yep, still going strong in 2015: 40th Annual St. Ignace Car Show Weekend :: St. Ignace Visitors Bureau

It would be great to watch all the cool cars crossing the bridge, though I imagine it draws a lot of the Canadian crowd. I've never been tempted to attend but have watched several videos.

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
Your right St Ignace has a great car show but reservation for the limited hotels have to be made a year in advance. It's an all car show, big on street rod, and I doubt that there is one facility that could accommodate us or that had convention center. Nationals have some great roads for cruises and roads are limited in the UP. Heck there may not even be one kappa in the UP! All the active MKC members are living in the Detroit vicinity. Our cruises drive five miles to find a nice curve and are really just scenic country drives. Mid Michigan is flat farmland blocked off in mile squares. Have to find a river in order to fine a road with some curves. Not the quality of roads needed for a national meet. Could do Detroit and get lodging. Could then go to Henry Ford Museum and maybe GM Heritage collection and maybe even get into Lingenfelder but you might as well drive your mini van to attend. Having attended seven nationals I have seen the wonderful roadways they have and know it would be a laugh to have it in Michigan.

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
Chop: Wouldn't be good to have nationals every five years, Most of us are a bunch of old farts and that would really limit the events we could attend ( if we were still able to drive!) I agree national events are a ton of work and really appreciate those that have contributed in the past. It would be fun to do repeats at places like Nashville and Denver and may be easier to plan since one event has already been there. But GM and GM Roadsters were contributing in the past and now we are thinning out and it is all on us. GM doesn't want anything to do with it's orphans.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Mackinac Island which does not allow any cars on it is on my bucket list to visit. That area of Northern Michigan looks very interesting.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
Your right Northern Sol: Mackinaw island and really everything in Northern lower peninsular is beautiful. Only problem is it is FULL of tourists in the summer and full of snow in the winter. There's lots of woods to look at but really no great facilities. Maybe around Traverse City but it is a Zoo in the summer with crazy high prices. Beautiful area though!!

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
i thought were the 2015 was a great area lots of back roads & easy access. i was impressed with the area & just the way the event was handled.
i attended the st.ignace event for many yrs it was a zoo when it was going on as i lived 35 min. from it. luved the U.P. but long winters.
looking forward to the 2016 nassm as i spent a week on my scoot many moons ago in eureka springs touring around in the ozarks

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
How about Louisville, KY. Plenty of hotels, the Bourbon trail, Churchill Downs and other racing things, a run to the Corvette museum with nearby road course and drag strip, Slugger museum and great country roads. Could even make a day to Indianapolis to the track and museum.

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
Location suggestions are great but the big issue is getting the volunteers to do all the work involved.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts