Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Chop: Wouldn't be good to have nationals every five years .
I didn't mean have the nationals every five years, I meant having the nationals in the same place every 5th year. By having it in one location every fifth year it would give the nationals some continuity, and by choosing a central location of the country that may help to draw the most participants. The rest of the time do what's being done now, holding it in different parts of the country. I choose the 5 year mark so that it could coincide w/the Solstice anniversary VIN date of 06 (not the nationals anniversary dates of 2015, 2020, etc.)

Now back to the 2017 NASSM discussion.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
My thoughts were to kind of start over with locations that were similar to the first ones. But maybe in an area close but not exactly the same? Like 2016 is in the Ozarks (similar to 1st Kansas City) then the 2017 should be further east (similar 2nd Nashville), then back west like Utah/Canyonlands (similar 3rd was Las Vegas)...on and on. Still lets all areas of the country have their turn at showing off the great backroad assets this country has! :)
At 2015 NASSM someone mention my area in northern Idaho. about 300 miles further east than this years and we have the Hells Canyon with Jetboat rides 100 miles upriver. And wonderful backroads with minimal traffic. Our problem as other areas is wrangling up enough help to assist in pulling off a Nationals. The largest meet we've hosted has been close to 40 cars. And that one brought in the most cars from Canada from any one location.
As we get closer to retiring and then being able to do longer cross-country trips, we'd like to see the NASSAM concept continue into the years ahead. :) It's a great way to explore the riches of the U.S.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,371 Posts
What i need is a bunch of you Ohio guys to jump on board and we can have one right here on the beautiful shores of Lake Erie!
I think all the Ohio guys are either still burnt out from the Canton experience, or no longer on this board.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
What i need is a bunch of you Ohio guys to jump on board and we can have one right here on the beautiful shores of Lake Erie!
This would be a great local for us Eastern CDN Canucks.:thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
16,086 Posts
It may be that 2016 will be the last nationals.

We hold events twice a month with our club but it does not look like there are any groups still exist that have the energy and commitment to run a national event. We have been discussing this for several months and so far no one has stood up and said they will commit

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Maybe if folks had a better idea of what's all involved, basically a how to organize a Nationals. Then again that might scare people away.

1. Location
2. National website
3. Hotel
4. Driving events
5. Sponsers
7. Breakfast/Lunch/Dinners
8. Awards
9. Money collection

What else?

·
Administrator
9,206 Posts
Maybe if folks had a better idea of what's all involved, basically a how to organize a Nationals. Then again that might scare people away.

1. Location
2. National website
3. Hotel
4. Driving events
5. Sponsers
7. Breakfast/Lunch/Dinners
8. Awards
9. Money collection

What else?
Good list Chop but each item then needs to be broken out into sub categories.

For example-
3. Hotel
A. Negotiations on room rates​
1. Hospitality Room​
2. Cost of final night dinner​
3. Specific parking area for cars​

There are more just for the hotel.

Oh, and start up funds. The first 2 I funded myself (deposits for hotel and activities). I know there have been others that have invested their own monies before the registration payments started coming in.

Organizing a national meet is not for the faint of heart. There is a TON of work organizing not only the event but also the activities, dinners, awards, shows, volunteers, and ...... The attendees.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,371 Posts
A number of years ago, I was involved with an annual event that was a weekend get together, business meeting and golf tournament for about 400 to 500 attendees. For each hosting group, it was a 3 year involvement. The first year you were observers, attending each of the planning meetings and helping out where needed. The 2nd year was the year you hosted the event and were responsible for all the successes as well as the failures. The 3rd year you were the advisers to the two incoming groups.

Each event throughout the weekend had it's own 3-ring binder with multiple tabs dealing with the room arrangements, what items the hotel/convention center was responsible for, anticipated number of attendees at that particular meeting, materials needed for that meeting, special needs, etc.

It was a huge amount of work, and I would never attempt to do it again, but I would certainly applaud anyone that does.

I would guess that each of the organizers of our annual get togethers didn't have a wild guess as to how much time and effort was going into the event.

I had a chance to attend a planning meeting for the Asheville NASSM, about 2 months before the event went live, and it's a wonder that any of those planners still have hair and yet, they can still laugh about some of the more memorable happenings during the event.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Location suggestions are great but the big issue is getting the volunteers to do all the work involved.
Yup...seen this too many times.....

lotsa peeps with great ideas and most of them touting their own location

But then you get down to the nuts and bolts.....you need a committee of at least 6 DEDICATED people to arrange hotels, meals/banquests

Then you have to have a roads committee whereby you map the roads, time the runs, look for bio-break locations...then once that is done you need to round up Road Captains and sweeps.

In 2015 certain people drove hundreds of miles - multiple times- to map and proof the runs...the same holds true for 2016 and most of the previous National meets.

Take Sturgis, for example,.....nice place but how many Kappa owners live there? The closest "metropolis" is Denver, with smaller towns like Rapid City or Billings.
Logistics says that Sturgis is an impossible location

Colorado has had one (09)..Ohio (2010) North Carolina (12) Arizona (13) and NJ/Pa in 14.
I doubt any one of those teams is interested in doing it again.

West Virginia has great roads but few Kappa members
Tennessee did Nashville in 07

Virginia (western) has good roads but most members live in the eastern part of the state.

Beginning to see the problem?

If you are going to post a location be prepared to justify why that location could handle the event

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I think all the Ohio guys are either still burnt out from the Canton experience, or no longer on this board.

we lurk...but doing a second event is not in our mind-set right now

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
It seems like there should be a way to do a Nationals event without all the hoopla, more of a meet & greet type weekend. Majority pics a location & host hotel. Then it would be up to individuals to book & pay regular room rates, plan their own meals, and leave it too individuals to plan their own sight seeing trips w/others or on their own.

Basically what I'm saying is there has to be a way to have a Nationals but cut back on some of the planning & organizing of activities. The alternative is no more Nationals.

Also, I suspected a lot of people who helped plan nationals in the past may no longer own a Kappa, so all that planning knowledge is lost.

·
Administrator
9,206 Posts
Also, I suspected a lot of people who helped plan nationals in the past may no longer own a Kappa, so all that planning knowledge is lost.
All national event organizers still own their Kappa. The only "helper" that I know of that no longer owns their Kappa is PAO - aka Paul Oswald, who helped with Nashville.

The knowledge remains.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Yeah I know. Which is why I'll probably never be able to expand the weekend event I already host into a Nationals. It would be fun. I already do that even as well as our local town festival, so I know the kind of work involved. Which is why I won't commit to 2017 without others on board.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It seems like there should be a way to do a Nationals event without all the hoopla, more of a meet & greet type weekend. Majority pics a location & host hotel. Then it would be up to individuals to book & pay regular room rates, plan their own meals, and leave it too individuals to plan their own sight seeing trips w/others or on their own.

Basically what I'm saying is there has to be a way to have a Nationals but cut back on some of the planning & organizing of activities. The alternative is no more Nationals.

We've been thinking this same thing and entertaining the idea of Rapid City/Sturgis. I think Sturgis was suggested a while back by Rob the Elder as well. Our regional event in 2016 to Glacier/Waterton is just this kind of an event. We may yet throw the idea out there for a 2017 "informal" event near Rushmore. I'm still recovering from our event in Oregon/Washington we just did!

21 - 40 of 152 Posts