Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

81 - 100 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hello everyone,

It is fun to see that some of you showed enthusiasm on the possibility of a GWNNASSM

To answer all your questions; road sign in Quebec are all pictograms. So it is very easy to understand. The Saint-Sauveur, Tremblant and Mtls are are very bilingual. It would be not an issue if someone is only English speaking. For sure if that happen, it would b.e an intimate National. Would plan for a 200 cars max capacity. Would have a mix of rides, activities and touristic tour.

Now it is time for me to turn around and as my follow Quebec Solstice Sky Owners Club members if they are willing to jumped in that fabulous talks. For ride planing, activities, touristic tour and hotel, you can all considered it done. Now it is to wait and see if others would be willing to jumped in as RC, Sweeper, Volonteers foe reddistrationsration and other task. Most important, I would need someone to take care of the Internet side of it from A to Z.

If someone have other idea for a NASSM, please share it because for me, I need to wait and see from my group. Decision should be made before the spring time.
I'm sure of few of us in Ontario could help with RC and/or sweeper if you can't find enough local people.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
I imagine some of the Canadian solstice owners would drive down earlier to help out & i know i would. Then you have the surrounding states also . It would be cool to have one in Canada if it were possible & made sense.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
It will be great for people in the north east. Not so much for the rest of the country.
No location is going to be great for everyone in one country let alone two. It isn't fair to shlt on anything viable just because it is more than 500 miles from where you happen to live. How about proposing an alternative or at least having a real concern?

At the moment there appear to be one group and one person seriously looking into doing this, and I would put my support behind anyone keeping NASSAM alive whether it were convenient for me or not. :jm2c:

·
Super Moderator
16,089 Posts
Until a group commits its a free and open discussion. Your comment is inconsistent with having a discussion. Feel free to offer inputs that reflect your opinion without creating a hostile environment

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
OK. I feel that your comment above did nothing to advance the discussion. I would prefer that every interested group that is working on pulling the manpower together be encouraged in this early phase. The continuation of the event is more important to me than whether or not I can personally attend each one. I do not see how trying to dismiss a location simply because it is far from me would be constructive, particularly if I am not willing/able to provide an alternative. I would like to see the Canadians afforded the same respect and consideration as everyone else.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I will attend a Great White Nationals if it comes to fruition. Unforetunately that location may be considered too far for some to attend but I certainly don't want to see this annual event disappear. All are in the discussion phase so if other location step up the decision could be made for maybe even years to come. I personally prefer something in the middle of US so that it can be more centralized but that would put a burden on those that have already committed tons of time. I don't know how difficult it would be to do an exact repeat someplace but could be fun again. Let's just hope to continue this event.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I turned 72 today and I live in Iowa. I've visited all but a half a dozen of the United States but only a couple of Canadian Provinces and 3 United Mexican States. Another 3 hour trip to the middle of the U.S. is not on my bucket list. I have new roads to drive and I always take the long road home.

To each his own. Chacun à son goût

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
I am registered for the 2016 National, and will make every effort to attend the Canadian one if humanly possible. But that is over 6 thousand miles just getting there and back.

Thoughts from outside the group, I have never attended a Sky/Solstice National. I have attended many of the 1955-56 Crown Victoria Association Nationals, and all of the FJ Cruiser National Summits. The FJ group have large regional events in Tennessee, Southern and Northern California, Utah, Georgia, Michigan, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and a few more that escape me at this time. But the main event is and always has been the FJ Summit in Ouray, Colorado.

I drive daily a 2007 FJ Cruiser, bought in October of 2006, its first year of production. I think they hit the road about the same time in early April, same price area, but a different demographic. Last year of production was 2014.

We have a National Summit every year in the same place. We hear a couple of moans about it getting old, but still have over 400 trucks (limited, could most likely draw 1000) every year, and the allotment sells out in less than 30 minutes. It is ran by the same people every year, and has been for over 9 years, our 10th will be July 16-23rd 2016.
Centrally located, (well sorta), but it brings in people from every state in the continental United States, Alaska, Canada, Hawaii, Mexico and some from South America. The engineer that designed the car/truck showed up in 2012.

I would suggest talking with Sooner about Lake of the Ozarks being the National event. Appears to be some great roads, plenty of hotels, a hot tourist area. And more centrally located than the FJ National.

Vendors find it easier, as they know the cost to go, the lodging available, and the number of participants on the day they agree to come.

If we could find a group that was willing to do it on an annual basis, I think the National would live. I would say these are more of a regional event than a national event. The FJ Summit is a non profit deal, but money is made thru charging of Vendors and raffles. I would guess the raffle brings in nearly 20K.

You can read about it @ FJSummit 2015 National Meet

I know we are not comparing apples to apples, but this is a successful meeting that has gone on for 9 years, with no projected end in sight. We have people show up that have sold their FJ and bought another Toyota off road use vehicle. The draw of the event is what is important, centrally locating it will ensure it longevity I think.

·
Super Moderator
16,089 Posts
SF
All good points.

I have been to Colorado, Austin, Flagstaff and Oregon nationals and enjoyed them all. But you are correct about them being more "regional" as the majority of attendees are people who can drive 1-2 days to get there. If I were retired I would not care. I would just load the cars up on the hauler and motivate as far as it took to get there. And for the Canada event I might be retired by then and could attend. But it would be a long trip and too far for many.

I like the idea of having the Nationals continue, even if I can't get there due to personal constraints. I like visiting with all the long distance friends and seeing the cars and enjoying being part of a unique group.

If we could put together a group for 2018 and beyond that included a core group that would have a lot of benefits.

In fact, Ouray is a great place. Why dont you just volunteer to coordiante the Kappa Nationals too?

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Rob, I would be happy to help, but like you, still working. I am hoping this year will be my last year, I have been training my replacement for 5 years now. He needs to learn to fly on his own!!!
I can set up all the information for the Ouray site, but I feel something more central would be better. I do love Ouray. IF we did, I would bring my FJ and take some of you pavement huggers to the closest you can get to heaven/paradise. Nothing truly matches the area of Ouray, Silverton and Telluride.

One problem with Ouray though is the weather. You can get rain nearly every day, which for off roaders is a benefit. Shiney, pretty, polished Skys and Solstices may not be to anxious for the afternoon shower.

I will work on getting all the information together for an Ouray National. I was a Co Director one year for the Summit, and have close friends that are on the Board of Directors. I am sure I can put together all the information, secure the host hotel and all.

I would be depending on you and the Colorado group, I am 800 plus miles away.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Rob: You need to travel east where there is more population and more Kappas. Think you would enjoy TN or the Carolinas.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
The city actually closes down the highway and the main street for about 2 hours, while we have our departure picture. Not all take part in this, I would guess 2/3 of the group.

The city welcomes us with open arms, which makes it very easy to keep coming back I am sure.

The jeepers have a large event there too, not sure when it goes, but we could go earlier as we would not be there for the trails. Most do not open until after the first of July, but all the paved roads are open year around I think.

I think we could keep the June time frame. Need to get that information solid though.

This is a tourist town, but they actually want you there. Very friendly, a lot of mining history, giant hot spring swimming pool, camping area, RV areas and a large group of motels. They could handle our group no problem.

·
Super Moderator
16,089 Posts
I've been off road. :devil:

In "real" off road vehicles.

C 306 in action

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTT9qy-qFnY

I just don't see that tiny little thing handling these trails.:lurk:

The beauty of the trails is amazing. Not difficult other than heights. A lot of mining shelf roads, only wide enough for a Jeep sized vehicle to pass, granite walls on one side, shear cliff on the other.

Imogene Pass is a trail that anyone can drive, but the beauty is unbelievable, and you just do not see any of it from the highway, or for that matter the desert! lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been watching this post and have a couple of comments. I think if a KAPPA Club from Eastern Canada (Quebec) is willing to step up and put a group together that allows the Nationals to continue then all the power to them. I think it would be great and the obstacles not as great as some have indicated.

Passports-by then they may be required by our government for all citizens. If one plans ahead, they are not that expensive and relatively easy to get.

Someone made the comment that only people from the NE US would attend. I am in NE Indiana and the distance from here to Springdale, AR is 713 miles. From here to Montreal is 730 miles; not that much difference and certainly the distance would not be a deterrent for many of us in the midwest. There was a nice group from Michigan at the Flagstaff Nationals which was over 1,800 miles.

Plan it and they will come!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I would attempt to figure out how to get to a Quebec nationals. It's an area my wife hasn't been to before and I've only been for a weekend (lived in Toronto for 3 years). Would be a very different experience.

81 - 100 of 152 Posts