Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

121 - 140 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I you have to look at a map of where members live and use that as a guide to figure out where a permanent event would be held. I believe the majority of people are closer to the east rather than the west coast and forcing the east coasters to drive for days will result in reduced attendance.

I'm not convinced that a permanent venue is the best idea and if you were to do that a location central to where most of the cars are would be that best idea.

·
Super Moderator
6,010 Posts
This isn't the first time that the members of this forum have discussed a fixed National Meet location or a National Organization, and it likely won't be the last, but at the end of the day I think it is a pointless discussion, and here is why:

The only way, in my opinion, to find the "best" fixed location for the National Meet is to have one there, be successful, then have one there the next year and be successful again. After a series of successes the location will become a habit and maybe even become permanent. It may be, of course, that the "best location" is actually a set of locations that each offer a great location for some, a tolerable location for relatively many, and an unacceptable location for as few as possible. Regardless, the only way to find out how well a location works is to stage a meet there. While a lot of the organization can be done remotely, some of it has to be done locally. A team that is close enough to the chosen location, or who has considerable local knowledge of the area, is essential to avoid the problems that arise from putting a large number of people in a small area and then sending a large number of cars out onto remote roads. That same local knowledge is essential to find solutions when things go sideways.

The only way, in my opinion, to create a National Organization is for a group of people to get together, define, and execute a successful National Meet, then do it again the next year, and the year after that. After a series of successes, following that group will become habit, and a National Organization will be born. It doesn't even really have to be a fixed group of people. Some of the same people have worked on several of the National Meets, and what they have done, rather than who they are, may actually be what the National Organization is. Basic Organization, Legal Issues, Vendor Relations, Website Management, etc, are all core features of each meet and, once they are defined, can be re-used to reduce a lot of the stress of managing a National Meet. Certainly some continuity of people will make things go a lot more smoothly, but it doesn't have to be the whole team every time.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Yeah if a venue is well attended and the group has a second successful attempt then it may become permanent. There aren't generally a lot of people willing to stand up and put their best foot forward to run an event as it is.
Anyone that wishes to do so would have my support but if I could attend would be governed by its geographic location.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
Rob, Marvic, Choptop, StingYa, TomatoSoup, what are your thoughts.
Well having it in the same location every year would stop having these discussions every year. So there's that. But I've suggested the idea a few times already and it always gets shot down.

Nevertheless, I think choosing the location should be more important than great driving roads, killer geography, tourist attractions or places to shop and eat. Mainly because I think what the Nationals primary objective should be about is attracting as many participants as possible every year. So yeah having a Nationals in a centrally located location may mean there may not be as much to do for attendees but the trade off would be (hopefully) more participants, and isn't that what's important. The people, and not so much the place. Plus anytime you have the Nationals too far west or too far east you risk losing the participation of anyone on the opposite side of the country.

Carry on, I'm having a cocktail. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
I think location has a lot to do with the success of any event. But location is not the only issue. I believe that the following the kappa community has is because of our vehicles and the opportunity to drive our vehicles on some beautiful challenging roadways with scenic views. If the nationals was located in some flatlands with only some museums and shopping and maybe a car show, I would not attend. We have had some fabulous national events and I for one wouldn't mind attending another event in the same locations. The problem is man power and volunteers. I appreciate the hours and hours that everyone has contributed to past events. Most have been worn out and not interested in getting into it again. I hope this kappa community survives with our vehicles getting older. We have lost a lot of vendors!

·
Super Moderator
6,010 Posts
Well having it in the same location every year would stop having these discussions every year. So there's that. But I've suggested the idea a few times already and it always gets shot down.

Nevertheless, I think choosing the location should be more important than great driving roads, killer geography, tourist attractions or places to shop and eat. Mainly because I think what the Nationals primary objective should be about is attracting as many participants as possible every year. So yeah having a Nationals in a centrally located location may mean there may not be as much to do for attendees but the trade off would be (hopefully) more participants, and isn't that what's important. The people, and not so much the place. Plus anytime you have the Nationals too far west or too far east you risk losing the participation of anyone on the opposite side of the country.

Carry on, I'm having a cocktail. :thumbs:
Suggesting what you think should be done is one thing. Doing what you think should be done is quite another. Which got shot down?

I'll say again that before you can have a permanent location you first have to have a meet in that location. It is rather like someone calling their event "The first annual ...." You cannot, by definition have an annual event until at least the second year!

There are three things that we like to do with our cars: Drive them, look at them, and talk about them, with each of us prioritizing those things in different ways. Therefore I think that a National, or any meet, really, has to have a balance to be successful. It should have a variety of driving opportunities ranging from cruises to spirited tours to intense drives. It should have a place for all of the cars, judged car show(s) optional, and it should have a variety of options for socializing. Minimizing any one of these three things will likely keep the segment of our community who focuses on it from attending.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
We've been throwing around the concept of a traveling pseudo-regionals cruise as an alternative to having a fixed location event site.
This does limit the potential attendance but the concept is favoring the challenge of seeing areas of the region that as locals we don't get to travel to or through very often.
So, this year we are testing the concept by having a non-traditional regionals get-together with some of our Canadian Kappa brothers and sisters and doing a cross-borders cruise. It will start in the Seattle area and wind through northern Washington with stops in Omak where the group will pick up some of the Canadian group, on to Newport, and then a stay in Whitefish, MT.
When we arrive in Whitefish we will pick up a few more from the Colorado & Wyoming clubs. And possibly more from Canada. We have around 15-20 cars committed so far.
Then a couple days runs and stay at Glacier/Waterton Nat'l Parks. Then back west to Nelson, BC with the Canada group and we'll split up there and head our merry ways home. The scenery and roads will be stellar and give us an idea as to whether this type of Kappa get-togethers will work for other years and areas.
Can't wait to test this out and see. Maybe Nationals events will become traveling Kappa Car Shows as we do mass cruises to unique roads and vistas around the country. Make these National Cruises are a week long or 10 days to 2 weeks of making Loops to different parts of the country and picking up Kappa owners along the way to party with friends all along the way!! :) :)

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
I could see that working on a regional basis. Great idea. But the vendors that support the event most likely would not like it. Insurance? Not sure how that would work or if it would be needed. But as an organizer, anything happens, the legal on me will be there.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
If you decide that Colorado isn't going to work out for the 2017 National, we can host it in Lexington, KY.
Didn't you throw Kentucky in the mix a few years ago before it went somewhere else? Jump on this one! There's lots of great stuff in your neck of the woods - Bourbon Trail, maybe Kentucky Motor Speedway, Natural Bridge, and so on. You throw it, Twitchy and I will be there!

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
If the next one is going to be in Lexington, I would be willing to "help out" some with the event. As far as that's concerned if it's anywhere in the roughly circular Nashville-Lexington-Asheville-Chattanooga area I'd probably help. Lot's of great roads in this area.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
You cannot, by definition have an annual event until at least the second year!
We had the "First Annual" in Kansas City, MO...just didn't know until afterwards that there would be a second for sure...now we know...hindsight s a wonderful thing. :)

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
Following :lurk:

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
I spoke with Ty of the FJ Summit Organization on Saturday, he is sending me contact information for Chamber of Commerce, Twin Peaks Motel, Sheriffs department and a couple of other influential people in the area.

Over 30 places to eat
850 Hotel rooms, several bed and breakfast, home rentals. Four or five camping sites, such as the KOA.
Three gas stations that are more than able to provide fuel to over 350 off road vehicles. The FJ event starts on Thrusday, thru Sunday morning, but a lot of us get there the weekend before.

My plan as of this moment is to stop there on my way home from the Arkansas national. Speak with the city elders, I will get formal recommendations, and introductions the following month at our FJ event. It appears we could do this very easily, but want to cover some more bases. Would ask who in the area would be willing to help. The area for people that do not know is Southwestern Colorado, San Juan Mountains. One of the most spectacular areas in all of the country. The drive from Ouray to Durango, is consider a world class drive, not only for beauty, but danger. It is a 75 mile drive with a suggested time of over 3.5 hours driving time. Gives you an idea of the amount of turns and the speed of those turns. Altitude changes from 7500 feet to over 10K and then down to 6K and then the return

Drives, with possible over niters would be to Moab, Crested Butte, Pagosa Spring, Grand Mesa area, and Grand Junction. Could do runs to Arches and monument Valley.

If someone has decided to do the National for 2017, I will commit to doing the one in 2018 if agreed by group. Rob, I am going to need your expertise on a lot of this.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Probably would be if you lived on that side of the country. Middle of the country sounds good to me where drive is the same for both coasts. IMO

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
That is my suggestion to ccmcomb. Personally I think we need to look at the Arkansas event and see how it turns out. I really can not imagine a much better area for the event, that is relatively centrally located. Maybe in Kanas City, but the drives around there are nothing compared to the Ozark/Arkansas area.

Sooner and team did find a part of paradise for our cars, no question. I am so anxious to see the area again, and getting to drive it in a Kappa, things could not get much better.

Rob any chance you could meet me in Ouray a week or so after the Arkansas National.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I really can not imagine a much better area for the event, that is relatively centrally located.
As an aside, be kinda interesting to see what the actual geo-distribution of Kappas is (for members on the fora). In theory, population distribution is heavily on the right coast. But, that may not follow for Kappa ownership.

·
Administrator
9,188 Posts
As an aside, be kinda interesting to see what the actual geo-distribution of Kappas is (for members on the fora). In theory, population distribution is heavily on the right coast. But, that may not follow for Kappa ownership.
I use to have a map (got it directly from a GM contact) with a state by state breakdown of Kappa Owners.

At that time the majority of owners were in the eastern half of the country (Missiouri and east). The two largest contingent of owners in the West were Texas and California.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Interesting thread, reads strikingly like it does every year. Lots of ideas but no commitments. We seem to go through this cycle every couple of years with no committed next year event but yet somehow it works out. I'd like to believe the same will happen again.

Watching with interest!

121 - 140 of 152 Posts