Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,048 Posts
I've been staying out of this discussion after my initial posts, because I did not intend to start a Colorado-vs-Kentucky contest. If skersfan decides that Colorado isn't doable next year, we have made the commitment to host in Lexington. I will say frankly that I hope it goes to Colorado, because I don't particularly want to do it. That said, we (all two of us) think we can do it, believe that it should be done, and have what we think is a couple of reasonable options for location. From some of the posts here it looks like there are some additional local people that are interested in helping, and I am assuming that (actually counting on) some of the core support people from the last Nationals will be available for advice, at the very least.

What we have discussed is a relatively simple event, a lot like the SE Regional that we had here in 2008. We had, I think, 120 cars for that event and it seemed fairly successful. I still have the runs that I designed then, and we have developed quite a few more since. My vision at this point is that we will provide a place to gather and a lot of good driving opportunities, but not a lot else. A banquet is unlikely, because I don't enjoy them. There are a lot of tourist-type activities here, and we can present a list of them for those who can't use Google, but I don't plan or expect to act as a tour director. As things progress we would probably facilitate some external group activities if there is enough interest, if doing it makes sense, and if it fits within our capacity to get done.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Trust me Kentucky is fine in my books, I said I would try to do it if no one else stepped up. It is all yours sir. Rob and I can talk about the following year, but my hopes are that Sooner and his group figure a way to keep it there if it turns out just half as good as I expect. Standardize the event, it will grow. I am more in favor of a regional event in Ouray, but can consider the 2018 there if I can't talk that darned Sooner in to doing it on time every year!!!!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,241 Posts
Standardize the event, it will grow. I am more in favor of a regional event in Ouray, but can consider the 2018 there if I can't talk that darned Sooner in to doing it on time every year!!!!
Somehow, I doubt you'll get Sooner & Company to do this every year, but the location is pretty close to central US.

As I recall from seeing a map of Kappa specialized distribution, the heaviest kappa distribution areas were Texas, California, and the Southeast 2-3 states, Florida, Georgia, S Carolina?

I agree, given a centralized location, that if it is held at the same place year to year it will grow. The problem is that there are so few of us with only about 100K kappas made and in North America.

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Our part of it actually began in 2010 on the way home from Cleveland, but you are correct for the rest of the community.

Volunteers line up over here, draftees will line up over there.
One thing I learned in the military: When they ask for volunteers, take one step back. :wink:

Seriously though, I'm helping a bit with NASSAM2016.

·
Super Moderator
6,048 Posts
I found a 2005 survey on this forum that gave the following distribution of the 1132 members who responded:
Southeast: 22.4%
Northeast: 21.02%
Great Lakes: 19.95%
Southwest: 12.20%
Pacific: 11.13%
Canada: 7.66%
Mountain-Prairie: 4.81%
Other Country: 0.80%

The last time I saw the Member Map on this forum the proportions were similar, and I don't expect that it has changed.

It might be time for another location survey, with maybe a means to proportionally represent groups that do not have a 100% forum presence.

Thanks for the offers, guys. I need to start learning the nut-and-bolt details of hosting a National, then we'll start calling on people for help.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Our part of it actually began in 2010 on the way home from Cleveland, but you are correct for the rest of the community.

Volunteers line up over here, draftees will line up over there.
Per our discussion the other day, you can count on Twitchy and I attending and for our support in getting you up and running! Thanks for stepping up. I'm glad I don't have to "draft" someone the way Solli drafted me for 2016 :) Although I am honored by her vote of confidence! You'll do great John!

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Trust me Kentucky is fine in my books, I said I would try to do it if no one else stepped up. It is all yours sir. Rob and I can talk about the following year, but my hopes are that Sooner and his group figure a way to keep it there if it turns out just half as good as I expect. Standardize the event, it will grow. I am more in favor of a regional event in Ouray, but can consider the 2018 there if I can't talk that darned Sooner in to doing it on time every year!!!!
Nope, I just don't have time to do it every year. I'm still in the prime of my career. In fact, when I changed law firms and moved to Oklahoma a year ago (in part to be closer to where NASSAM 2016 was going to be held), I insisted that part of my contract include significant time off to put NASSAM 2016 together.

That being said, Rick Huber and I are batting around an idea for a one shot, week long, major event (that is not a NASSAM). :)

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I have been in text/convo with JRinKy (hereafter simply JOHN)

I spent a fair amount of time in 2008 learning his roads and led 227 as well as another I have since forgotten it's name...very windy thru overgrown forest.

I have offered my services to him and Glenn. (I even kept my OKISS polo shirt and my Kentucky Speedway hoodie).

I can still remember 90% of 227...so will offer to RC again.

We've done the Bourbon Trail....Elk Creek (just off 227) , Natural Bridge...so this will be like OLD HOME WEEK

I'm in... John and Glenn...awaiting your assignments

141 - 152 of 152 Posts