Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the monsoon setup in my '08 GXP and I was wondering if these are an improvement. I'm looking to slowly upgrade my system. I'm trying not to go overkill like my last car with a bunch of amps and false floors with subs. I plan on upgrading the HU first. I'm fine with the way it sounds stock but, I really miss having a USB and Bluetooth.

I plan on getting the Pioneer DEH-X6700BS. I had the double din version similar to this in my last car and like the features Plus it's XM Sirius ready. I'm getting the single din from Crutchfield so I can get the cubby below for extra storage for my phone. I plan on keeping the stock amp as long as I can. I will still run the RCA's to the stock amp location incase I want to add an aftermarket amp in the future.

I have been also doing research on speakers if replacements are needed. I would maybe do the door and upgrade the rears to 4" and the sub last. I like Pioneer speakers in the past and came across the Pioneer shallow mount 8" sub TS-SW2002D2 - <b>NEW!</b> - 8" Shallow-Mount Subwoofer with 600 Watts Max. Power | Pioneer Electronics USA . They look like a good option and has pretty good reviews on Amazon. I'm not looking for block party in my car just an improvement if possible.

Thanks for any input.
Bryan

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update Infinity is having a sale on their website and I picked up the Kappa 62.9l 6 1/2" two way for $72.09 and the Reference 3002cfx 3 1/2" for $71.95 with free shipping. That's cheaper than amazon but, they won't be here till the first week in January.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Did you consider buying the Infinity 1000S Shallow Mount Subwoofer?

After reviewing your post you shared about the sale of those Infinity 62.9i fry door & 3002i rear panel speakers on the Infinity website I decided to go with them as well for my Coupe.

I am also considering the purchase of an Infinity 1000S 10" shallow mount sub to replace the OEM unit.

I have the stock iPod compatible USB jack stock AM/FM/SAT/CD radio along with the Monsoon amplifier.

I think the system should really sound decent with those Infinity car speaker upgrades.

I like the interface of the stock head unit with the steering wheel controls. The Bluetooth phone works great. Only thing I can't do is stream from my iPhone 6 Plus. Have to wire it in

Lar Bear
2009 "Cool" 5 spd Solstice Coupe
Lorain, Ohio

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked at the Pioneer sub because it is the same size and same ohms as factory speaker. I didn't want to hack the factory enclosure very much and a bigger speaker benefits from a larger box. The factory enclosure should be good enough for another 8". I'm not looking to have a booming system just better sound.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I opened up the specs on that shallow mount 10" subwoofer and it's only 3 3/8" deep. It also has a 2 or 4 ohm adjustable impedance which matches the factory 8" sub.

You can buy a 8 to 10" sub mtg ring so I believe it will be close to a direct replacement.

The Infinity compatibility check info says it should work in a Pontiac Solstice. I am gonna chance it. I, like you, don't want to modify my interior from stock. I have read on this Forum there's a big positive difference between a 10" sub compared to the 8".

Let us know how your retrofit goes! I will do same. My Coupe is in hibernation.

The speaker upgrade will be one of the mods over the winter.

I am just one who wants to use all the same brand speakers for my upgrade. I ended up getting all 5 speakers for $224 over a list cost of $369 (40% off).

Lar Bear
'09 "Cool" 5spd GXP Coupe
Lorain, OH "on the North Coast"

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put in my new Pioneer radio and everything worked fine. Chimes and onstar work and now the system sounds much better. The frequency range seems expanded. The sound is clearer overall and the sub goes much deeper. After adjusting the gain for the Monsoon setup it makes me wonder if I need the new speakers after all. Lol Have put is your speakers yet or are your delayed like mine?

Only problem I'm having is with steering wheel controls. When I hold the volume up to program , Onstar comes on. I'll figure it out in the morning. If I don't figure it out no big deal. It's not like the radio is hard to reach.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After multiple tries and talking to Crutchfield they said the steering controls don't work in our cars.
I got everything back together and mounted the sat antenna on the dash on the driver side near the windshield. It works great. Now just waiting on the speakers. ;-)

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
After multiple tries and talking to Crutchfield they said the steering controls don't work in our cars.
I got everything back together and mounted the sat antenna on the dash on the driver side near the windshield. It works great. Now just waiting on the speakers. ;-)
Bullhockey. MANY folks have replaced the head unit and have the steering wheel controls working afterward. You just need the correct GMLAN adapter box.

·
Registered
6,799 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No personal experience, but many reports. At least one used a PAC SWI-PS. SlyBob also has his working (PM him to find out what) from Crutchfield.

Here's just one thread: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f61/self-proclaimed-official-pioneer-d3-install-thread-31382/

...and many more with possibly useful info: https://www.google.com/search?num=50&biw=1920&bih=1052&q=head+unit+replace+steering+site:www.solsticeforum.com
Thanks for the links. I read them and it seems to be hit and miss. It's not a big deal. The controls are on the left and pretty easy to reach.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Itsme -

Did you receive all your Infinity Speakers that we're back ordered yet? If so installed? How does it sound.

I recv'd mine but returned the Kappa series door speakers and bought the CF6032s instead to keep my Infinity speaker upgrade all "reference series" speaker types.

Still debating whether to replace the A pillar tweeters with the available 1" Infinity Reference ones. The impedance on them is 3 ohms. The stock tweeters have 2 ohm impedance.

Lar Bear on the "North Coast"
#159 "Cool" 5spd GXP coupe

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Itsme -

Did you receive all your Infinity Speakers that we're back ordered yet? If so installed? How does it sound.

I recv'd mine but returned the Kappa series door speakers and bought the CF6032s instead to keep my Infinity speaker upgrade all "reference series" speaker types.

Still debating whether to replace the A pillar tweeters with the available 1" Infinity Reference ones. The impedance on them is 3 ohms. The stock tweeters have 2 ohm impedance.

#159 "Cool" 5spd GXP coupe

They just came in and I'm about to install them now. I was just looking over some install info first. Trying to fit speaker wire diagram for monsoon. I will let you know how it goes. :thumbs:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for the late reply. I got everything in and it sounds great. Everything was pretty straight forward. The sound is much improved. I have a song that I test my stereo with because it has a part where the bass goes side to side so I can hear if a speaker is out of phase. It has a part with sirens and I had the top down. I had to turn the radio off because I could tell if it was the song or outside. It was the song. LOL The headset and speakers have made a huge improvement in sound quality and all of the muddiness is gone.

I really like the Kappa's they bring out the detail in string instruments and classic music and not to bright even with the stock tweeter still attached.

Now I'm set. I have had my car for 2 months, I changed my oil, Flush the brake and clutch lines, got new tires, DDM brace kit, radio, with Bluetooth, satellite, Pandora, and USB now I'm ready for a trip up the coast with the Wifey. :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Great. Glad everything went together well and you're ready to enjoy your Kappa.

I probably won't start replacing the speakers for another month or two. I think I am going to hold off on replacing the a pillar tweeters until I hear the infinity speaker upgrade.

My coupe shares the garage with my wife's Lincoln MKX Black Label. I'll start working on the speaker and sound deadening as soon as spring weather allows me to keep the lil lady's Lincoln outside so I can have the whole garage for Kappa upgrade work before I start driving it everyday to work.

Are you going to the NASSM convention in June? I would like to but we'll be in the midst of launching the 2017 military grade aluminum Ford Super Duty F Series Cab - chassis at the plant I run a department in.

#159 "Cool" 5spd GXP Coupe

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great. Glad everything went together well and you're ready to enjoy your Kappa.

I probably won't start replacing the speakers for another month or two. I think I am going to hold off on replacing the a pillar tweeters until I hear the infinity speaker upgrade.

My coupe shares the garage with my wife's Lincoln MKX Black Label. I'll start working on the speaker and sound deadening as soon as spring weather allows me to keep the lil lady's Lincoln outside so I can have the whole garage for Kappa upgrade work before I start driving it everyday to work.

Are you going to the NASSM convention in June? I would like to but we'll be in the midst of launching the 2017 military grade aluminum Ford Super Duty F Series Cab - chassis at the plant I run a department in.

No I won't make it. I live in So Cal and that is a little far for me. LOL

The install is pretty simple but, make sure you get the wire diagram there is no way to tell which is positive or negative without it. It has like one yellow and tan or on light green and the other dark green.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bryan -

Thanks for the tip on using the Monsoon wiring diagram.

BTW, what song did you use to test out your speakers with? Just curious.

Where abouts in So Calif do you reside?

What color Kappa did you buy? How many miles were on it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have an 2008 Black on black GXP with a black top. I got it with 31K and I live in Carson, CA it's where they were trying to get an NFL stadium. Next to Long beach about 10 minutes north of the Ocean.

The song I use is from the old Warren Beatty political comedy from 1998 "Bulworth" soundtrack called Zoom by Dr. Dre and LL Cool J. @ about 2:30 the song has a breakdown and the bass rolls from sides to side for a few times. On a old stereo install when I played this song and the bass sound a bit off then at the breakdown the bass got deeper as it rolled to one side and flat to the other.

I have a group of test song when I install a stereo or upgrade my home audio.

Zoom by LL Cool J and Dr. Dre for phasing

For soundstage and separation:
Eric Clapton unplugged - Layla soundstage

Chris Gaines (Garth Brooks) - Lost in you. That has some of the best sound mixing I ever heard. It sounds like surround sound with only two speakers.

Kanye West - All of the lights (interlude) It's sounds like just a Cello and a Piano. On a good setup you can hear the subtle sound of the bow on the strings and the vibration of the string being played in the piano. I can hear that detail now in my solstice when it's parked.

Then to test low frequency:
R. Kelly - Seems like your ready. It's a slow song but, the bass note starts and rolls down the frequency to below 20 hz.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts