Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bryan -
I appreciate the detailed lists of test songs. Enjoy your "Kappa Heap"!

Lar Bear from the "North Coast"
#159 "Cool" 5 spd GXP Coupe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sub upgrade

Bryan -
I appreciate the detailed lists of test songs. Enjoy your "Kappa Heap"!

Lar Bear from the "North Coast"
#159 "Cool" 5 spd GXP Coupe
Did either of you upgrade the sub? If so which one did you use and how did it sound?

As for steering wheel controls I used Metra LC-GMRC-LAN-03 Wiring Interface [Vehicle Info: 2008 Pontiac Solstice Convertible with Monsoon sound system] from cruchfield. I did lose my Onstar but did keep chimes etc.

Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter [Vehicle Info: 2008 Pontiac Solstice Convertible with Monsoon sound system] had to resistor but it is included in the GMOS LAN 03 KIT I believe.

Kenwood XR900 5ch amp behind driver seat. looking for a compatible sub. Did not like the sound of the kenwood excelon shallow mount 8 and now have the stock one back in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I still have the stock sub and stock amp. I'm still thinking about the Pioneer sub. But, right now I'm fine. Once the new speaker broke in they sound even better.

I was wondering what didn't you like about the Kenwood that made you go back to stock. Also did you change your other speakers?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I finally installed the 8" Pioneer shallow mount sub and the Infinity Reference speakers in my Frt doors and rear panels today. They sound great. The sub is so much better than the stock Monsoon sub.

I still need to upgrade the A Post tweeters. I have the Infinity Reference replacements. Just need to get motivated to finish the speaker upgrade.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
I finally installed the 8" Pioneer shallow mount sub and the Infinity Reference speakers in my Frt doors and rear panels today. They sound great. The sub is so much better than the stock Monsoon sub.

I still need to upgrade the A Post tweeters. I have the Infinity Reference replacements. Just need to get motivated to finish the speaker upgrade.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hey! I just installed the TS-SW2002D2 tonight. When I wired up the connectors black-to-black and red-to-red on each voice coil post the sub sounded 180 degrees out of phase. I used to own a mobile audio shop back in the day so I'm grossly accustomed to the "plat" vs "boom" sound subs make when they're out of phase with even the 6 1/2's in the doors. I inverted the red and black lines on each voice coil post and now it sounds "normal". Not thunderously booming like my SUV with a big ported enclosure, but not "plat". ha ha

Just wondering if you had the same experience.

Here's the odd thing with my 2008 Monsoon system. If I fade it all the way to the rear the rear 3 1/2" and the sub make sound. If I fade it all the way to the front, the sub completely goes away. I guess it's the rear preamps that drive the sub. Also, I clearly heard muffled vocals from the sub when I faded to the rear so I assume there's no crossover there. Maybe I'll put a coil in each of the two channels at some point to roll off the highs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Question for those that installed this Pioneer woofer. Did you take the metal cover off the stock sub and install it on the Pioneer, or did you just install the Pioneer with no cover? I installed it with the cover, and I'm getting a slight rattle when it hits certain lows at high volume, and I'm wondering if it's the speaker hitting the cover. Should I leave the cover on or remove it since the sub is protected by the body panel? Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Question for those that installed this Pioneer woofer. Did you take the metal cover off the stock sub and install it on the Pioneer, or did you just install the Pioneer with no cover? I installed it with the cover, and I'm getting a slight rattle when it hits certain lows at high volume, and I'm wondering if it's the speaker hitting the cover. Should I leave the cover on or remove it since the sub is protected by the body panel? Thanks.
I used this Pioneer 8" and didn't transfer the metal grill either. I noticed rattling from the flat area of the enclosure above the speaker opening. So, I applied 5/8th inch thick dense weather strip foam across it. This allows me to prop the passenger seat tightly against the back panel so that it deadens the rattle. Problem solved.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you so much! I guess I'll be tearing it all apart and removing the grill. :-D I don't know if that is causing the rattle, but it didn't do it before the upgrade, so it's a good starting point.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts