Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad signed up for it and is having an awful time. He asked me to figure it out so I went over and tried.

I logged in, with his username and password. The status icon just spun and spun and spun. 10 minutes later I shut it down.
Tried again. Now, no status icon. Nothing happens.
Tried again no luck. Nothing happens, no status icon no new window.
Shut it down and tried again. No joy.
Tried resetting password. It required getting a phone call with a code. OK, entered code when I got the call.
That triggered an e-mail with another code. I entered that code. Then we had to get another phone call, for two stage authentication.
This is really Apple's website, mind you, not a scam site. It's Apple TV+
I entered that third code. Finally Apple let us reset the password. I used the password.
Status icons spins and spins and spins...

We're on the East coast. Looks like their servers are just down.

·
Premium Member
3,156 Posts
I have it on my IPad Pro. Works great for me with no issues. Watched new Tom Hanks film Greyhound a few days ago. Incredible movie. (y) (y)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had wanted to see Greyhound myself, but my disbelief is really suspended from what I saw in trailers and what I heard. Enormous murals on conning towers, Uboat captains telling their foes "The grey wolf is hungry". I just can't.

·
Premium Member
3,156 Posts
I loved how for once Canada is included. Our navy was the third largest in the world at the end of WW2 ( USA, Britain and then us. The German, Italian and Japanese fleets had all been sunk). The CDN ship in the film is a Corvette. It has some light blue paint on it. There is one in Halifax that is a museum. It is the last one.

Reactions: ChrisBlair

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Halifax, for the Christmas tree each year by the way

·
Super Moderator
16,344 Posts
Actually, I found the movie very entertaining and for a Hollywood product not terribly inaccurate. Just about anything that has a human crew has had some form of personalization on it. Here is a small example of some conning tower art for U boats. Communications security was always a challenge. One of the ways that the Uboats found the convoys was through radio detection finding. Both recon aircraft and ships used direction finding to locate targets. I think they overdid the radio intrusion but they were trying to humanize the U boat crews by giving them dialog. I quickly got over my irritation about it and moved on. I greatly enjoyed the movie.

·
Super Moderator
7,324 Posts
You can even search for pictures of U-boat conning towers and find some that look much like those in the movie.
Capture.PNG

The radio thing was over the top, but it was very dramatic....

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had wanted to see Greyhound myself, but my disbelief is really suspended from what I saw in trailers and what I heard. Enormous murals on conning towers, Uboat captains telling their foes "The grey wolf is hungry". I just can't.
Well ... it is a fictional story based on a book by C. S. forester. Not at all meant to be a true story.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've never had any problems at all with Apple TV. I was surprised to see Greyhound wasn't a purchase/rental only movie.

·
Super Moderator
7,324 Posts
A good movie but IMHO cannot top my favorite about the u boat war. DAS BOOT.
My favorite is still The Enemy Below.

Well ... it is a fictional story based on a book by C. S. forester. Not at all meant to be a true story.
True. But overall pretty accurate. (With one very notable exception.)

I've never had any problems at all with Apple TV. I was surprised to see Greyhound wasn't a purchase/rental only movie.
From what I read, Apple saw it as a chance to jump-start their streaming service.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You can even search for pictures of U-boat conning towers and find some that look much like those in the movie.

The radio thing was over the top, but it was very dramatic....
Thank you so much John, sincerely. As well as everyone else. I am of course fully aware of that fact that conning tower art was very common. And I appreciate the community's interest in giving me information. It's a fascinating subject.

If you're interested in this subject, I recommend uboat.net . Great site, and has some modern underwater photos of wrecks as well. A fascinating look at their strategic operations and their foibles can be found in a book called "Seizing the Engima" which is not on the Uboatswaffe, but by default examines their operations. But it's a great book. If you really look around you can find a copy of the distinctive Kreigsmarine 'grid' map which they used to plot out operations.

I actually know quite a little bit on the subject. An entire graduating class of skippers used the Olympic rings. I'm surprised you didn't find a pic of the (very) famous Laughing Sawfish.

That's not what I'm talking about. I didn't quite communicate that the way I might have. While a man named Schnee did have a snowman on his conning tower, an entire class adopted the Olympic rings, and even "Happy Easter" was on one conning tower and dozens of other examples were existent, I'm talking about the gigantic wolf's head. It was too theatrical for my taste. I appreciate the need for the audience to ID the antagonist.That was just too much for me.

Maybe they did it to avoid offending somebody associated with any of the well known and still quite imaginative images used. I don't know; it is the 21st century after all. But it rubs me the wrong way.

I was able to dig up an image of the KM map with the grid ref. I had used it on one of the collectible firearms forums I am part of, so while the focus is the P.38 that was taken from some, let's say very misguided nazi (I won't capitalize 'nazi' nor will I share my real negative thoughts about them here, other to say I am pleased I own a relic that reminds we defeated those, uh, naughty troublemakers) during the war, the unique map is visible. My copy is reproduction however. It's still interesting and I could give a close up of the map if anybody likes. For the safety minded, yes the pistol is on 'Fire" and the signal pin is extended. Good eye! An aluminum snap cap is chambered, to portray the pistol as ready for immediate use. It was as safe as a bowl of butter.

Here's the pic:

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
My favorite is still The Enemy Below.

True. But overall pretty accurate. (With one very notable exception.)

From what I read, Apple saw it as a chance to jump-start their streaming service.
Judging by this discussion, I would say the jump start worked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts