Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 speed that is sticking when moving the shifter left and right. The transmission is supposed to be new but who knows. It came off Craigslist and was supposedly used by GM for something they were making like a blast shield or guard.

I'm not sure what the parts are called but they are on the ends of the shift rails. I've circled them in red in the attached image.

It seems they may not be in alignment in my transmission or perhaps the selector is a poor design that is susceptible to getting caught on the edges of the slots.

Anyone having this problem? I'm hoping for some insight before I open it up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Though I don't know these transmissions backwards and forwards, a few thoughts come to mind. This does not seem to be a common problem among our cars. The transmission can feel a bit choppy in comparison to other vehicles but side to side stickiness isn't a common symptom. It might be what Telecaster is presuming, lack of lubrication within the shifting unit if it's not a shifter alignment issue. Imo, your best bet is to start disassembling the shifter to see if there's anything out of place(shifter shaft not straight while in neutral). Keep us posted on what you find.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The shifter assembly was removed from the tail shaft housing to eliminate it as the cause. The symptom I'm experiencing leads me to believe the center shift rail selector isn't inline with the others. It might be off a hair which causes the selector to get stuck on the edge of it. The shifter has to be in just the right spot to move side to side. If it's a little too far forward or back it gets stuck on the selectors.

I've removed the caps to expose the detents on the shift rails and everything looked ok. No wear at all or even any indication it's been used. I check them to be sure the detent groove lined up with the hole. It's not a symptom of a bent shift fork either because the trans happily clicks in and out of any gear selected.

I'll try and post a video showing the problem but I have a heck of a cold right now. Hard to talk.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This is definitely a new trans. There's no wear showing on anything in there.

I found time to pop the rear housing off the trans. It's just what I suspected. The shift rails are slightly out of alignment. It might be a little hard to see in the second image but the center rail selector is at least .020" higher. The detent balls for all 3 shafts are sitting in a groove on the shaft that determines the position of the rail. It must have been a machining defect. The only way for me to fix the problem is grind one side of the groove so the rail would be pushed into the correct position. Unfortunately that means I'd have to pull the whole transmission apart to fix it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a video of an AX-15 teardown and it doesn't look too complicated. The AX-15 is very similar to the AR-5 (aka MA-5) used in the Solstice. I don't have to disassemble as much as I thought I'd have to in order to get the rails out. I rebuilt a manual trans out of my Mitsubishi pickup years ago. I may tackle this one.

Here's the video in case anyone is interesting in seeing inside the trans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1hFJfbWwPw

1 - 7 of 7 Posts