Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I'm going to wait until next year and then pull the trigger, so to speak. I'm hoping the Sky is out also so I can look at both and then decide. Of course I doubt that a GT version will be out then but maybe more info will be around. Not sure if I'd want a GT but agian like to see and have other choices. Anyone else waiting?
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Since it looks like the Solstice won't be released until the 4th quarter, I may end up waiting until next year too. I am not getting an EOP vehicle, so I may wait until spring next year to get the car. It also gives me a little more time to decide if I want to wait for a GT version, depending on if we have more info on it and when it might be available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
I am waiting until next year. I probably want an automatic (unless its a 4 speed), and want to be able to test drive the car, which will likely not be possible with all the pre-orders queued up - every car that comes into a dealer has a customer's name on it already.

there will likely be some initial quality problems, which hopefully the early buyers will find quickly and report so they can be corrected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
I'm in the same boat with you guys. I will wait until 2006 for my Solstice. Hopefully I can order some sort of FI version for MY 2007, delivery late 2006 maybe?

I look at this delay as a test of patience, the longer I delay my fun, the better off it will be financially since I am saving roughly $500 a month (pre-paying my car payments). By doing this I should have almost the entire cost of the car in the bank before I drive it off the lot.

Insurance and taxes are another issue to deal with though......up here in Canada, I would likely have to pay >$2000 a year for 8-10 years, basically RE-PAYING for the Solstice over it's lifetime, and that's without any unforseen circumstances *knock-on-wood*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Holding off for a while

I'll be waiting too. I'm not ready to pull the trigger and shell out $20-$25K on based on nifty styling and articles written about a couple of mules tested 1.5 years before release. Pontiac has been very good at selective releasing info on the Solstice. Plenty of news about the things they want to promote, but no photos of the trunk, and no independent reviews of production vehicles.

Okie Sol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
I'm waiting for the forced induction version, sort of planning on fall '06. I also want to drive the car before I buy, just in case. It's also possible that I'll jump ship to a Crossfire or GTO or ???
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
3,468 Posts
Economics

I am forced by economics to wait until next September to (Lord willing!) purchase mine. I'll need my earnings from next year's summer school teaching to get a good ($8-9K) down payment.

--Chemist
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
OK. Was really disappointed I didn't get an EOP. Then, was further disappointed that they're not coming out this summer (I was hoping for late June or early July). I also have been saving at least $500 per month. But as my Solstice account grows, my thoughts have been drifting in a weird direction. The more money I save, the more I might be able to afford a car in a different price range. C5 convertible comes to mind. If only it weren't such a cliche for someone in my age group (53). Or maybe a Mini S convertible. And a Crossfire convertible isn't out of the picture. At least I was able to sit in those and confirm I could fit. And rumor is that the new Miata might be the first one big enough to fit my lanky legs. It's release date will now coincide with the Solstice. And there's always the combo meal: new Korean car for work, new HD Sportster for the weekends. It's just that I spend so much time commuting, I was hoping to do it in something a little more fun.

So will I wait till the Solstice first hits the showrooms in late October? I dono...Maybe....Maybe not.

Will I wait till next year? Isn't that about the same question?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
I am waiting. I won't buy a car in the 1st year of production. Besides that, I now want a GT or GXP version.

Just watch. By the time I have finalized all my decisions - green Solstice GXP with manual tranny - they will announce a Solstice coupe and I'll have to decide what I want all over again! :crazy:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
psycho-squirrel said:
Insurance and taxes are another issue to deal with though......up here in Canada, I would likely have to pay >$2000 a year for 8-10 years, basically RE-PAYING for the Solstice over it's lifetime, and that's without any unforseen circumstances *knock-on-wood*
You pay for a car about 4 times: purchase price, insurance, gas and maintenance. I've always felt I could easily afford to buy a Corvette's purchase price, but not the other 3 that go along with it.

Many cars that are $40,000 and up may be possible to purchase. But performance cars generally have steep insurance rates, require a lot of expensive maintenance whether it is premium brake pads or racing tires, get bad gas mileage and are expensive to repair.

Sure, I can afford that $50,000 Corvette but I could not afford to drive it. I could always buy one and then sit in it while watching TV. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
jimbo said:
Many cars that are $40,000 and up may be possible to purchase. But performance cars generally have steep insurance rates, require a lot of expensive maintenance whether it is premium brake pads or racing tires, get bad gas mileage and are expensive to repair.
:D
If I wait one more year, I get the insurance rate benefit of being 25. It will also let me save up some more money and get my financial situation in order beforehand.

If the High power version is out by then, I may get it if it is worthwhile. If it only get about +30hp more, then I probably wont. It's gotta get at least 230hp. I'm not paying for premium gas and maintenece for 200hp over 177hp.

Plus my wife will probably want an automatic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
I might wait and see what engine options come available. 220hp, I could live with, but I don't know about 170hp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
905 Posts
SOCAISLANDER said:
I Agree..i'm Stationed In Germany And October Is Just A Little Cold To Drop The Top.
I used to be stationed in Bad Aibling, what are the odds eh?

If I wasn't able to get a regular allocation order in I probably would be waiting till the GT came out, but since I do have an order in and the fact that my Sunfire is starting to show signs that it's getting older (mechanically speaking) I think it is better to just get it off my hands and get the Solstice this Fall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Hey GM.... are you reading this stuff??? This has got to hurt. Pull the might of that giant corporation together and get this beauty out in time for the summer - you can still convert most of this crew!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
I am waiting for next year because:

1. I want Pontiac to work all the problems out.
2. Hopefully GM will produce a Solstice coupe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
to be honest, I now think that the non-summer release may actually help this car. the reasoning is simple - the first several months of production are going to be pre-sold anyway, those buyers are going to take those cars even if they are delivered in the winter. By the time spring 2006 comes along, cars should be more readily available just when the "non fanatics" start looking to make a seasonal purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Right now I'm waiting for the FI version, and to cross-shop with the Sky (Fall '06?). I might be out of the kappa market all together by then, depending on what the other manufacturers release in the next year or two & what the used car market looks like.

-Stephen M
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top