Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So how fast are the Solstices going to be stock, both the base 170 horse power and the supercharged 205 horse power version?

The Cobalt SS with 205 horse power has 0-60 of about 6 seconds and it weighs about 2991 pounds. The 1/4 mile is about 14.5 @ 98 MPH.

Mine will be turboed for sure, I'm looking at a 30-60% increase in power from 220 on the base motor to 270 with a built motor with forged internals. I might just pull off the Eaton supercharger and add the base intake and then turbo it for more power and better mileage. The stock 7-8 PSI level with the turbo should pick up another 20 horsepower and maybe I could run 10-12 PSI with methanol injection for fun.

Anyone know anything about the 5-speed and how much power it can handle?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
GM has officially stated the 0-60 time is 7.2s for the stock 177HP VVT ECOTEC that is in the Solstice. But if you dump the clutch at 6600RPM I bet you can go faster at the cost of your lcuth of course.

Unfortunately the transmission has not been officially documented by GM or Aisin. We have yet to find torque limits for it, or any other information. It appears to be a new transmission so it's specs have yet to be finaly announced.

Also at this time there is no news of if or what a higher output version will be. There's been several rumors of a Turbocharged version of the 2.0L that produces about 253HP compared to the Supercharged verison that produces the 205HP. But at this time it is only rumors. GM has actually officially said the 177HP engine will be the only engine for the Solstice. But we believe that's the information they're saying for first versions.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just looking for enough power so those canyon roads will see a little bit of heal toe effort. My current 3700 pound car has about 570 horsepower and in every day driving it really isn't too different then the 320 it had stock. If the Soltice can stay light then 250 to 300 horsepower will be plenty. These cars are going to be so fun!

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
bradyb said:
I'm just looking for enough power so those canyon roads will see a little bit of heal toe effort. My current 3700 pound car has about 570 horsepower and in every day driving it really isn't too different then the 320 it had stock. If the Soltice can stay light then 250 to 300 horsepower will be plenty. These cars are going to be so fun!
I am hoping your setup will be more towards the 300HP band, would you have something like that by some time next year, and will it be around the high 3K?.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing that worries me is the 10.6:1 compression in the 2.2L at Sea Level. 7-8 PSI would probably be about the most I would want to run. I figure about 285 horsepower with an intercooler. You don't want turbo lag with that little motor so I'll probably under size the turbo and have it's efficiency range max out at around 9 PSI. There's nothing worse then a big turbo small motor car, sure it might make big numbers but it's no fun to drive. I'm up here at 4500' ASL so I'll probably have about 9.5:1 compression to play with.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Pardon? I thought your turbo system didn't use an intercooler...

A traditional turbo setup with an intercooler could pull off 285 hp with all of the supporting mods. Word on the street, though, is that your muffler-turbo system (although a great deal and good bang for the buck) is not good for attaining "maximum" power potential. 285 hp would be over 60% more power on a high compression engine, which is normally extremely hard to achieve. 30%-50% is what I've heard for reasonable estimates...

Enlighten me. Is your system going to use an intercooler? necessary PCM mods? Internal mods? What mods exactly do you expect to give you 285hp?

You are the guy with the muffler-turbo systems, right?

Not trying to be a thorn in your side, but overinflated performance numbers have been the bane of sportscars and modding since long before the Kappa was even conceived...

·
Registered
391 Posts
brentil said:
GM has officially stated the 0-60 time is 7.2s for the stock 177HP VVT ECOTEC that is in the Solstice. But if you dump the clutch at 6600RPM I bet you can go faster at the cost of your lcuth of course.

Unfortunately the transmission has not been officially documented by GM or Aisin. We have yet to find torque limits for it, or any other information. It appears to be a new transmission so it's specs have yet to be finaly announced.

Also at this time there is no news of if or what a higher output version will be. There's been several rumors of a Turbocharged version of the 2.0L that produces about 253HP compared to the Supercharged verison that produces the 205HP. But at this time it is only rumors. GM has actually officially said the 177HP engine will be the only engine for the Solstice. But we believe that's the information they're saying for first versions.
OK I have not been following any "boost" threads so this my seem like a strange question.
Are you sure that it will be 250+HP on a 2.0L VVT Ecotech?
Or is it posable that the 250+HP numbers came from a 2.4L VVT Ecotech?
If the 2.0L Ecotech does infact make that much power that would make it the most powerfull "Factory" GM engine ever made HP per CI?
Man I would like to see that, but how reliable would such a high strung engine be?
GM only offers 3 year 30,000 mile woranty (wich aint much to begin with) so would they back this little power house like that too? Or would it have some type of "out" clause that would VOID woranties with "Black Box" eye in the sky software in the PCM if you "Race" the car?

·
Registered
139 Posts
i wouldn't trust gm's first 2.0 litre engine running 250 hp. companies like mitsubishi and subaru can make 2.0 litres put out way more, but they are race inspired and have basically gone through 9 generations of the cars. and even then, they dont always last very long. some do, but check out the boards to see all they problems they have. the best bet for gm if they want a 250+ roadster is to use a 6 cylinder like bmw does.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
That's been the most recent rumors. Opel OPC also has a 240HP Turbocharged ECOTEC engine coming out soon too. There's been a lot of rumors about Turbocharged cars running 240-253 HP.

·
Registered
391 Posts
brentil said:
That's been the most recent rumors. Opel OPC also has a 240HP Turbocharged ECOTEC engine coming out soon too. There's been a lot of rumors about Turbocharged cars running 240-253 HP.
But are they the 2.4 VVT ecotech's with a Turbo.
Or are they the 2.0L "oldie" stuff we have seen in the Saturn but with a trurbo insted of a Super Charger?
A new car needs to have "New Stuff" or it is just "old news".

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Rickady88GT said:
But are they the 2.4 VVT ecotech's with a Turbo.
Or are they the 2.0L "oldie" stuff we have seen in the Saturn but with a trurbo insted of a Super Charger?
A new car needs to have "New Stuff" or it is just "old news".
That part we don't know about for the future Solstice engine. The Opel engine is a variation of their own ECOTEC not related to the SAAB 2.0L which the ION RL/Cobalt SS are based off of. However the rumored 253HP might, we just don't know yet since none of it is even 1% official.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Heres an idea no one thought about. I say you wont see a 250 hp solstice. That equates to a mid to low 13. Thats corvette territory at 25-30k much less then a corvette. You wont see it happen for that reason.

You will probaly see a 200-220 hp version though which would put it mid to low 14's maybe even crackin 13's.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i agree. i really doubt there will be an engine with much more than an advertised 200 hp. the designers have stuck very close to the ideal and concept they started with. that is wonderful for us because the car looks so amazing, but what that also means is that it is going to be a conventional roadster which means low hp. plus, hp=$$ and they want to keep the price of this roadster low across the spectrum. i really think that if you want a kappa with more hp you'll have to buy the sky. i think the sky will get a definite bump in hp possibly up to the 250hp level, but the solstice never will.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Remember, the stock "200hp" supercharged 2.0 really has been proved over and over on a dyno to have around 220hp at the crank(194 or 197 at the wheels). It was de tuned in name only. They could put it on the car, call it a 217hp engine, and everyone would be happy with a 40hp boost.
Yeah, over the years, the Camaro/Firebird cars were always consistently slower then the 'Vettes but that was done, for the most part, by the weight disadvantage given up by the F-bodies. Not the case here.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I would not say "never" because 200HP aint much to brag about nowdays even for a "roadster" Now how you get 250HP will be what you brag about. If GM does put a 2.0L Ecotech in the Kappa that puts out 250+HP now that is bragging rights. But if it is the 2.4L Ecotech that is still a good deal, but not as "cool" as a smaller engine doing the same job. And if it were a V6 with 250HP the V6 would be bragging rights even if it is a larger engine because of the other benifits that come with the V6. BTW has anyone ever heard the 3.6 V6 with a good aftermarket exhaust? I have NEVER heard a four banger sing that good. The sound alone of a V6 Kappa will turn heads much more than the sound of ANY four banger. Sorry for another V6 rant.

But even with 300HP the Sol will not even be in the same class as a Vette. The 400HP Vettes will still be on the top of the food chain.

If GM ever made a Kappa with that much power I would have some type of roll bar made up for it. Heck I will get one no matter what engine it has under the hood. But with 250+HP GM should put one in as a part of the engine upgrade.

0-60 times are very important but I just dont see a 2.0 making me happy even at 250+HP. it all depends on the powerband. The S2000 has a four banger with an impressive 240HP but they are realy focused on "high performance" at the expence of a daily driver. I dont want that kind of trade off. Just give us the V6 and we will have it all ;)

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
godspeed06 said:
i agree. i really doubt there will be an engine with much more than an advertised 200 hp. the designers have stuck very close to the ideal and concept they started with. that is wonderful for us because the car looks so amazing, but what that also means is that it is going to be a conventional roadster which means low hp. plus, hp=$$ and they want to keep the price of this roadster low across the spectrum. i really think that if you want a kappa with more hp you'll have to buy the sky. i think the sky will get a definite bump in hp possibly up to the 250hp level, but the solstice never will.
I don't agree.

First - curb weight per flywheel (engine) horsepower multiplied by 0.45 gives you a pretty good 0-60 estimation.

177hp 2860lbs = 7.3 seconds. Advertised 7.2 seconds.
Several of the quarter mile ET and Trap Speed estimators out there for same car and 200# driver estimate high 15 seconds (15.8) like this one http://robrobinette.com/et.htm or this one http://www.amaprostar.com/dynos.asp (which is for motorcycles, but still applies - all the same estimator equations). and about 85MPH.

Remember to account for about 18% loss (meaning that the horsepower at the road is 82% of the flywheel or engine horsepower).

At 200 hp, assuming a blower or turbo (which adds about 80-100 lbs to the car) means 2950lb curb weight and 0-60 of around 6.6 seconds. ***YAWN*** and 15.6 second/88MPH 1/4 mile.

I like the 250hp version myself - more like what I would HOPE Pontiac is going for: 2950 curb weight at 250 engine hp is 0-60 in 5.3 seconds and low 14's in quarter mile at 95-100 MPH.

Why would you give power to the Sky and not the Solstice? Why would you do the reverse? Neither makes sense. Either they both get a little or they both get a lot - why have a THIRD powertrain configuration in the assembly plant?

·
Registered
139 Posts
solsticeman said:
Why would you give power to the Sky and not the Solstice? Why would you do the reverse? Neither makes sense. Either they both get a little or they both get a lot - why have a THIRD powertrain configuration in the assembly plant?
that is the whole point. from what i have heard, gm wants to raise saturns status. that is why the saturn will start with a higher msrp. the saturn will most likely get the power upgrades and the solstice wont. they dont want the same platform to be competing against itself. each needs to appeal to a different buyer. the saturn will appeal to someone willing to spend 30 grand and will get the power upgrades associated with that higher price. the solstice will always appeal to the 20 grand buyer and will have hp better associated with that - meaning less. what they do to one wont necessarily be done to the other. you might be able to put the saturn engine in the solstice if you want, but it wont come from the factory like that. this might be exactly the debate going on right now at gm. whether or not to boost the solstice and have it compete directly with the saturn.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts