Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seat passenger sensor stopped working. 3rd time. Is there a way to bypass the sensor and just leave the airbag on.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
The seat passenger sensor stopped working. 3rd time. Is there a way to bypass the sensor and just leave the airbag on.

Thanks
Assuming that you mean a simple switch, jumper or similar thing, no.

Are you saying that you have had three sensors fail? What are the circumstances?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming that you mean a simple switch, jumper or similar thing, no.

Are you saying that you have had three sensors fail? What are the circumstances?
seems the sensor in the seat isn't working. I just checked and there is a recall for this. If I can just bypass it so it's always on that would be better IMO. If not I guess I will have to do the recall.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,546 Posts
The recall shouldn't cost you anything other than a bit of time at a dealership while they replace the seat cushion and the sensor. It should be about an hour assuming they have the replacement part in stock.

There is no way currently to bypass the personal presence sensor, at least that I am aware of. JohnWR is our resident authority on the PPS.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
I've read that there is a bypass module you can install, but don't recall if that leaves it enabled or disabled. Personally I would never mess with it but if I did I would leave it disabled.

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
Both of the available bypass options leave the airbag in the enabled condition to protect a possible passenger, but make it dangerous to place a child seat in the passenger seat.

One of the options is a module that replaces the seat sensor and makes the airbag SDM (controller) think that the seat is occupied. With this option the seatbelt has to be latched at all times to avoid the passenger seatbelt warning light and chime.

The second option requires that the SDM be removed and sent to Germany for reprogramming. This option eliminates the warning light and chime but is, as far as I know, irreversible. It also disables the Airbag ON light, making it damgerous (in my mind) for a future owner or occupant who may not know about the conversion. The light can be illuminated by placing a jumper-resistor in the sensor harness.

Either of these options could make the car illegal to sell in some jurisdictions, and could open the seller to problems if the buyer has a collision and is injured because the airbag does not work as intended.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Go to airbag360.com. It works. I used one while waiting for my recall to be done.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac Solstice
30 Posts
The recall shouldn't cost you anything other than a bit of time at a dealership while they replace the seat cushion and the sensor. It should be about an hour assuming they have the replacement part in stock.

There is no way currently to bypass the personal presence sensor, at least that I am aware of. JohnWR is our resident authority on the PPS.

:thumbs:

Mine was replaced just before I bought it. PO said it wasn’t a big deal. I want mine to work correctly and not go off on my granddaughter who is under the weight limit to turn it on.

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
If the indicator says that it is off it will not actuate.

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
any way to just put the light out and still leave the circuit functional?
No. The simplest and cheapest solution, if you are not eligible for the recall, is the device that @joybill44 mentioned in Post #7. It isn't perfect but it does usually work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the info. I don't have kids in my car so the airbag360 would be a good option. I'll probably go get the recall done but if it breaks again airbag360 it is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just had the module replaced yesterday. Cost was $1,100.00 Unfortunately it is a very expensive repair that requires replacement and programming a module in the system. By disabling the seat sensor can be done the downside is it disables the entire airbag system. In the old days this was referred to as a daisy chain of system failure. Probably a new term is now used. I had checked the forum for answers prior to having this expensive repair. I don't have passengers often and thought about a shortcut but thought against it in the event there was a an accident some liability lawyer somewhere could have a field day.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I just had the module replaced yesterday. Cost was $1,100.00 Unfortunately it is a very expensive repair that requires replacement and programming a module in the system. By disabling the seat sensor can be done the downside is it disables the entire airbag system.
The unit that emulates the seat sensor just makes the car think that the seat is occupied by a passenger of sufficient weight. Using the unit referenced in post 7 just means that the seat belt light would always be on unless you fasten it across the seat, but it doesn't disable the whole air bag system. You could have used one of those as long as you were never going to have a child in that seat, and the system would still have been functional - for less than $100.

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
Even if the Passenger Presence Sensor fails, there has not been any evidence that the entire system is disabled, so the driver's airbag will still function when needed.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,457 Posts
Yes there is a way to bypass it. Am I going to tell how.. Nope. It is flat out dangerous. The pad in the seat is not a simple on off switch. It actually is kind of like an electronic scale. This controls the firing rate of the airbag depending on how much weight is in the seat.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I thought it was a simple off and on switch - pass the minimum weight and it fires, below it and it won't. In what way is there any third or fourth or whatever mode? Can you point to a reference that there is a gradation of firing rate to weight? That would be interesting!

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Try AIRBAG360.COM. It worked for me while I was waiting for a new sensor.
I have one of those in the glovebox now awaiting the potential failure of my reinforced mat.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts