Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,457 Posts
The mat in the seat is made of of several layers. the higher the weight the more of the layers touch each other. when the resistance is checked the value will be different based on the weight. This value is what the ABS module uses to determine the firing speed. It is also used to determine how fast and hard to lock the seat belt if the seat belt is in use. The seat belt also being used is going to change the firing rate of the airbag. It will fir the airbag with more fore if the belt is being used and less force if it is not being used...

There are only 3 things in a car that should never get "patched" or have a half ass repair job done on. They are Steering, Brakes and Airbags.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,546 Posts
Yes there is a way to bypass it. Am I going to tell how.. Nope. It is flat out dangerous. The pad in the seat is not a simple on off switch. It actually is kind of like an electronic scale. This controls the firing rate of the airbag depending on how much weight is in the seat.
I thought it was a simple off and on switch - pass the minimum weight and it fires, below it and it won't. In what way is there any third or fourth or whatever mode? Can you point to a reference that there is a gradation of firing rate to weight? That would be interesting!
I'll side with wspohn on this one.

:thumbs:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,546 Posts
The mat in the seat is made of of several layers. the higher the weight the more of the layers touch each other. when the resistance is checked the value will be different based on the weight. This value is what the ABS module uses to determine the firing speed. It is also used to determine how fast and hard to lock the seat belt if the seat belt is in use. The seat belt also being used is going to change the firing rate of the airbag. It will fir the airbag with more fore if the belt is being used and less force if it is not being used.
I would like to see you document this assertion.

I'll wait, thank you!

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
Yes there is a way to bypass it. Am I going to tell how.. Nope. It is flat out dangerous. The pad in the seat is not a simple on off switch. It actually is kind of like an electronic scale. This controls the firing rate of the airbag depending on how much weight is in the seat.
The Kappa airbag firing is not dependent on the weight in the seat, it is dependent on the intensity of the impact.

The seat sensor output is on or off, dependent on the weight and its distribution across the seat surface.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
read the section labeled Seat Occupancy Detection

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
and here is yet another "how it works" article

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
want me to keep on going? I am sure I can pull up hundreds of documents on how the pressure sensors work in the passenger seat. and they are all going to work in in some fashion that detects the occupants weight and not just if someones ass is in the seat.

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
While there are systems that perform the way you describe, the system in the Kappas does not.

I have decoded and emulated the communication between the PPS and the SDM, and the only signal sent is "occupied" or " not occupied".

Also, documentation specific to the Kappa describes the system function, and the only effect on airbag intensity is from the impact sensor.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
@JohnWR
So what you are saying is that the airbag will be deployed at the same intensity whether or not their seat belt is buckled.....

I have not personally dug into the seats on the Solstice, but I will be removing them today in order to replace the seat belts in my vehicle. If there is any kind of a control module for the passenger occupancy sensor in the seat then the solstice does in fact change the intensity based on weight. because a simple on off switch would consist of only 2 wires and there would be no need to any kind of a controller to handle the seat sensor and the airbag control module would be able to handle the workload all by it's self.

So what I should expect to find in the seat is a 2 wire connection where the wires go directly from the car to the ass pad.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
@JohnWR
So what I should expect to find in the seat is a 2 wire connection where the wires go directly from the car to the ass pad.
Yup - that's pretty much what you'll find. Don't recall offhand how many wires - it is a multi wire capable plug.

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
@JohnWR
So what you are saying is that the airbag will be deployed at the same intensity whether or not their seat belt is buckled.....

I have not personally dug into the seats on the Solstice, but I will be removing them today in order to replace the seat belts in my vehicle. If there is any kind of a control module for the passenger occupancy sensor in the seat then the solstice does in fact change the intensity based on weight. because a simple on off switch would consist of only 2 wires and there would be no need to any kind of a controller to handle the seat sensor and the airbag control module would be able to handle the workload all by it's self.

That is not what you will find, and that is not what it means.

There are five wires connected between the PPS's control module and the car:
  • Ignition 1 Voltage (12V)
  • Chassis Ground
  • SDM Data
  • Passeneger Airbag Off Indicator Output
  • Passenger Airbag On Indicator Output
The control module analyzes the sensor grid to determine if enough weight is on the seat, and if that weight is in a pattern that indicates a person and not a child seat. The data signal is bi-directional and allows the PPS to tell the SDM whether to fire the airbag if needed, as well as allowing the SDM to tell the PPS which indicator light to illuminate as well as how bright.

The signal from the PPS to the SDM is for the airbag to be on or off. Nothing else. There is no variable intensity based on the PPS.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Sorry, you are wrong. @Robotech (on the forums) was the guy that pushed the recall through NHTSA, and we did a lot of research on this back then. The seat mat is a capacitive sensor, NOT a simply switch mat. The control box is the hardware that measures across the array of sensors to determine a fire or no-fire condition. See pics here: Passenger Airbag Sensor

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I wouldn't put it past GM to use 1990's technology in a 2006+ vehicle, They have done this many times in the past. In the 1990's when passenger airbags became more prevalent there were issues with the airbags mangling children so that was the birth of the "on-off" style seat mats as they have coome to understand that children come in a variety of shapes and sizes the one size fits all design oof the "on-off" mat was simply not enough and they needed to come up with a more complex system that took place in the early to mid 2000's. and then we have today. My Liconln tells me to remove non passenger object from the seating area even if nothing is touching the seat. So if i lay the seat all the way back in order to put a long board in and have it dross the seat and rest on the mirror the car will complain. The systems are even more complex using IR and also reading the electrical current from a persons body in order to determine if it is a person or not, or a child seat or some other random object. It will also disable the airbag in my car if someone lays the seat back and turns onto their side to say take a nap. Even tho there is weight in the seat and it is a person it also knows the persons position as well.

So if the Solstice has 1990s' tech as far as the pressure sensor goes. then it probably doesn't change anything if the seat belt is being used or not. and if that is the case then it make it even more dangerous to bypass the seat. say you get t-boned on the passenger side of the car. This is going to cause your upper body to move to the passenger side of the car. while that is happening you end up slamming into the back of another car.. this triggers the airbags. and because there is no passenger in the passenger seat there is nothing to stop your body from moving over to that side of the car in a position that you shouldn't be in when an airbag fires. end result... DEAD... broken neck from the impact into the side of an inflating passenger side airbag. If the airbag didn't deploy then you probably would have lived.

So back to the 3 things you don't mess around with in a car. Steering, Brakes and Airbags. Those are the 3 killers if you half ass a repair or try to bypass it's core functionality. If you have a single brake pad that is no good do you only replace the single pad?? NO! Why is that? Because it is unsafe. Repairing the airbag system in a manner that causes the airbag to deploy when it shouldn't is also unsafe, correct?. (See the example above.) But some how it is OK to do this???!???!!?

All other systems in a car can go bad but the car still remains functional enough too not kill anyone. The above 3 systems can cause a person to lose control of a vehicle and kill themselves and also others.

Ever have an airbag deploy when it shouldn't have? I have. while working on a minivan under the dash. All I did was move the harness with my finger. and the drivers airbag right above my head deployed. It was obviously not supposed to do this. and the vehicle was new and it was fixed at the dealer. But the simple fact that this could have happened while a person was driving down the road makes it pretty scary. What guarantees are there that the module that bypasses the seat sensor doesn't go bad in a manner that causes the airbags to fire while you are driving down the road?

My suggestion to the OP is to fix the problem right, don't shortcut it at all.

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
The PPS can not trigger the firing of the airbag. It's only purpose is to enable firing of the passenger airbag when the collision sensor signals the SDM that a front collision has occurred.

Reactions: showtime

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP mean yellow
34 Posts
Hi everyone)
My first forum post)
There are only 10 Solstices registered in my country!
I became the owner of one of them 1.5 months ago ... 2007 PONTIAC Solstice GHP - yellow) mileage only 36250)
Now I'm fixing all the "problems" with which the car came to me.
I wanted to turn on the passenger airbag using the emulator, but so far it has not worked ...
When I connect it, the AIRBAG SERVICE lights up.
And yet - on the indicator of the passenger AIRBAG, there are two bulbs at the same time - ON and OFF.
Wrote to tech support 360Airbag. Nothing concrete yet.
See photo ...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Hi everyone)
My first forum post)
I became the owner of one of them 1.5 months ago ... 2007 PONTIAC Solstice GHP - yellow) mileage only 36250)
I wanted to turn on the passenger airbag using the emulator, but so far it has not worked ...
And yet - on the indicator of the passenger AIRBAG, there are two bulbs at the same time - ON and OFF.
See photo ...
hook up the passenger seatbelt. That should turn the on-off indicator to on.

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
Hi everyone)
My first forum post)
See photo ...
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on owning a very unique car.

The Airbag "Off" and "On" lights together indicate a problem with initializing the system, consistent with the diagnostic that you posted. There are three possibilities that i am aware of:
  1. The Airbag360 emulator is faulty. This is rare, and fairly unlikely, since no one has mentioned this problem since the very first ones they shipped, but still possible.
  2. The Airbag SDM (Controller) will not clear the fault caused by the PPS (Passenger Presence Sensor). There is a fuse for the SDM in one of the fuse blocks. I would tell you which one but my service manuals are not with me today. Pull that fuse, wait some length of time, maybe an hour even, replace the fuse, make sure everything is connected correctly, and power the car.
  3. There is a problem somewhere else in the airbag system. The description from the scanner suggests that it is either the emulator, the wiring, or the SDM. SDM failures are not common, but have happened..
What is the behavior when the PPS is connected? I assume the same.

Reactions: E.G.P.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on owning a very unique car.

The Airbag "Off" and "On" lights together indicate a problem with initializing the system, consistent with the diagnostic that you posted. There are three possibilities that i am aware of:
  1. The Airbag360 emulator is faulty. This is rare, and fairly unlikely, since no one has mentioned this problem since the very first ones they shipped, but still possible.
  2. The Airbag SDM (Controller) will not clear the fault caused by the PPS (Passenger Presence Sensor). There is a fuse for the SDM in one of the fuse blocks. I would tell you which one but my service manuals are not with me today. Pull that fuse, wait some length of time, maybe an hour even, replace the fuse, make sure everything is connected correctly, and power the car.
  3. There is a problem somewhere else in the airbag system. The description from the scanner suggests that it is either the emulator, the wiring, or the SDM. SDM failures are not common, but have happened..
What is the behavior when the PPS is connected? I assume the same.
Many thanks!
I really enjoy being in the Solstice community!
1) I can hardly check the emulator - maybe I will get help from the manufacturer;
2) before connecting the emulator, everything was completely disconnected from the battery for a long time. But I will try to de-energize everything again;
3) I have a suspicion of a wiring fault. The car does not respond to the passenger's belt - no indication.

What happens when you connect a PPS?
  • indicator of the passenger airbag - the OFF lamp is on.
  • there is no "Service Airbag" indication on the DIC.

Thanks. I will check.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Diagnostics describes the process as follows:

....When the ignition is on, the airbag sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) performs tests to diagnose critical malfunctions within itself. When the SDM completes its power-up mode, the SDM will establish communication with the passenger presence system (PPS). The PPS will respond to both PASSENGER AIRBAG LEDs on / off for 5 seconds. The SDM will then send a request message to the PPS to obtain the PPS check ID. The PPS module transmits the verification ID to the SDM, and the SDM compares the received ID with the data stored in memory. If the data stored in the memory does not match the information transmitted by the PPS, or the SDM detects that the PPS has set a current DTC, the SDM will disable the dashboard (I / P) module deployment cycle, set DTC B0081. and give the command to turn on the AIR BAG indicator...

It is very likely that the system does not detect an emulator.
It's already late evening - I'll watch it tomorrow afternoon.
I will report the result.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
I'm a bit confused here... as I recall, the ON/OFF LEDs in the little display module are driven directly by wires that go to the PPS module in the seat (basically just switched grounds). So if the Airbag 360 is connected instead of the PPS module, it would be driving those LED states itself. Nothing to do with the car's BCM/ECM.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts