Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
I'm a bit confused here... as I recall, the ON/OFF LEDs in the little display module are driven directly by wires that go to the PPS module in the seat (basically just switched grounds). So if the Airbag 360 is connected instead of the PPS module, it would be driving those LED states itself. Nothing to do with the car's BCM/ECM.
The PPS controls those LEDs based on what the SDM tells it to do. The comments I have seen about the AirBag360 behavior is that it controls the "On" light to indicate the actual airbag status. I have not seen a description of the power-on routine with it, but there is no reason in my mind that it wouldn't act as the same as the PPS.

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
Many thanks!
I really enjoy being in the Solstice community!
1) I can hardly check the emulator - maybe I will get help from the manufacturer;
2) before connecting the emulator, everything was completely disconnected from the battery for a long time. But I will try to de-energize everything again;
3) I have a suspicion of a wiring fault. The car does not respond to the passenger's belt - no indication.

What happens when you connect a PPS?
  • indicator of the passenger airbag - the OFF lamp is on.
  • there is no "Service Airbag" indication on the DIC.

Thanks. I will check.
If there was a wiring problem you would get a "Service Airbag" message. You would also get that if the PPS has failed.

Is your problem that the PPS never detects a passenger?

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP mean yellow
34 Posts
If there was a wiring problem you would get a "Service Airbag" message. You would also get that if the PPS has failed.

Is your problem that the PPS never detects a passenger?
Yes, indeed this is the case - PPS never detects a passenger.
When you turn on the emulator AirBag360 - I immediately receive the SERVICE AIRBAG message.

·
Registered
34 Posts
JohnWR when the PPS is connected, I do not have the Service Airbag message.
Perhaps you know - the passenger's belt indication is connected with the work of the PPS? I think yes. In my case, this indication is always off.

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
The LEDs that indicate airbag ON and OFF are controlled by the PPS. The warning that the passenger seat belt is not fastened is not controlled by the PPS.

The PPS tells the SDM if the passenger seat is occupied. When the SDM arms the passenger airbag it tells the PPS to switch the OFF LED off, and the ON LED on. If the airbag is armed and the seat belt is not fastened, the SDM turns the warning LED on and activates the warning chime.

With the PPS connected, do the ON and OFF LEDs perform the start-up routine? After that, does the OFF LED stay on even if the seat is occupied? Or, do you have no LEDs lit?

How heavy is the passenger that is not detected? A passenger less than 120 lb (54 kg) may not be detected, and the passenger must sit evenly in the seat. Also, have you checked that there is not a cushion or pad on top of the sensor mat? I have a seat heater pad on mine and it reduces the sensitivity slightly.

Reactions: E.G.P.

·
Registered
34 Posts
JohnWR thanks for the answer and your questions!
They take me forward looking for the cause of the problem.
With the weight of the "passenger" - everything is in order))) Height 187cm - weight - 89kg)))
I'll check the rest ...

·
Registered
34 Posts
JohnWR I checked everything once again according to your recommendation.
Things are like this:
1) the PPS connector is included:
from the SDM module there is no test of the PPS system
(two LEDs do not light up at the same time). Only the OFF LED is on. Service Airbag message is not present on DIC.

2) 360Airbag emulator connector included:
two LEDs are on at the same time constantly and do not go out (ON and OFF). There is a message on DIC - Service Airbag.

Thus, it is clear that the PPS does not work.

It seems to me that there is another problem - in the SDM module?
Is it possible to activate the used SDM module on our car on another Solstice? Or just a new SDM module?

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
JohnWR I checked everything once again according to your recommendation.
Things are like this:
1) the PPS connector is included:
from the SDM module there is no test of the PPS system
(two LEDs do not light up at the same time). Only the OFF LED is on. Service Airbag message is not present on DIC.

2) 360Airbag emulator connector included:
two LEDs are on at the same time constantly and do not go out (ON and OFF). There is a message on DIC - Service Airbag.

Thus, it is clear that the PPS does not work.

It seems to me that there is another problem - in the SDM module?
Is it possible to activate the used SDM module on our car on another Solstice? Or just a new SDM module?
First, let me apologize for not recognizing the fault code in your initial post. I decided to read through the airbag section of the manual to see if there was information about replacing the SDM and saw it. So this information is very late.

B0081-71 can be caused by three things, assuming no other codes are present:
  1. Corrosion or looseness in a connector, probably the pink wire.
    1. If the wire is broken completely, the code would be B0081-39
  2. The incorrect series of PPS is installed
    1. This is more likely to cause B0031-3A
    2. This is unlikely because you are also getting a fault with the AirBag 360 device
  3. The SDM is faulty
There are steps in the manual for loading the SDM serial number into the BCM using a scan tool (ie: Tech2) so I suspect that moving one from another vehicle without being able to do the serial number setup would not work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
First, let me apologize for not recognizing the fault code in your initial post. I decided to read through the airbag section of the manual to see if there was information about replacing the SDM and saw it. So this information is very late.

B0081-71 can be caused by three things, assuming no other codes are present:
  1. Corrosion or looseness in a connector, probably the pink wire.
    1. If the wire is broken completely, the code would be B0081-39
  2. The incorrect series of PPS is installed
    1. This is more likely to cause B0031-3A
    2. This is unlikely because you are also getting a fault with the AirBag 360 device
  3. The SDM is faulty
There are steps in the manual for loading the SDM serial number into the BCM using a scan tool (ie: Tech2) so I suspect that moving one from another vehicle without being able to do the serial number setup would not work.
Do not need to apologizes)
Based on the information received, I can draw conclusions:
1) PPS is faulty;
2) SDM is defective.

The emulator (probably it is working properly) should replace the wrong PPS.
I can replace a faulty SDM with a new module - the new module will need to be "assigned" to the BSM module using Tech2.
Is it possible to "attribute" with the help of Tech2 a working module of SDM from another Solstice (I have such a used module with the necessary part nambers)?

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
Do not need to apologizes)
Based on the information received, I can draw conclusions:
1) PPS is faulty;
2) SDM is defective.

The emulator (probably it is working properly) should replace the wrong PPS.
I can replace a faulty SDM with a new module - the new module will need to be "assigned" to the BSM module using Tech2.
Is it possible to "attribute" with the help of Tech2 a working module of SDM from another Solstice (I have such a used module with the necessary part nambers)?
Yes, your emulator will take care of a faulty PPS if that is the case.
Yes, you can certainly replace the SDM with a new one. The procedure is to read the serial number of the SDM and then load it into the BCM memory.
Maybe, you can use a used SDM. There is no language in the manual that says it cannot be done, but none that says it can. There have been few failures reported other than the PPS, so there is not much information available.

There are warnings if the SDM is removed from the vehicle to avoid dropping or bumping it sharply, as it has sensors that will activate the restraint system. The main risk with a used SDM is that it may be inoperable due to shock, but that risk is small if it comes from a reputable source.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, your emulator will take care of a faulty PPS if that is the case.
Yes, you can certainly replace the SDM with a new one. The procedure is to read the serial number of the SDM and then load it into the BCM memory.
Maybe, you can use a used SDM. There is no language in the manual that says it cannot be done, but none that says it can. There have been few failures reported other than the PPS, so there is not much information available.

There are warnings if the SDM is removed from the vehicle to avoid dropping or bumping it sharply, as it has sensors that will activate the restraint system. The main risk with a used SDM is that it may be inoperable due to shock, but that risk is small if it comes from a reputable source.
John, thanks again!
I will start working with SDM. I'm sure I can beat him)
Or we will install and "register" a used module.
Or buy a new SDM module...
I will definitely report the result!(y)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Let me continue the topic)
I was at the service station. Good news - my SDM module is working. The bad news - is that the PPS is "dead".
And yet - the "360Airbag" emulator does not work with every SDM module in our cars. This is important I think!
I have SDM module number 15774620 installed - the emulator does not work with this module.
Another important innovation that I found out - I connected a used module to the SDM car with the same number as my "native" one. Everything is super! The car does not swear - no DTC B1001 errors (BCM Configuration error) . Everything is clear!

Friends, if you want to save money when replacing the SDM module, you can install a used modul (if the donor's car did not fire airbags).

But make sure thepart number matches.:)

Reactions: JohnWR

·
Registered
08 Sky Redline, 5M
113 Posts
How do I check what SDM module type/number I have? Just open up some panels and it's printed on the outside of it? What is the module that sits underneath the passenger seat?

Under passenger seat:

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
I haven't had an SDM out, so do not know what labels it has, but everything else is identified so it should be as well.

That module is the yaw sensor. Be careful with it as they seem to be very hard to find.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How do I check what SDM module type/number I have? Just open up some panels and it's printed on the outside of it? What is the module that sits underneath the passenger seat?

Under passenger seat:
View attachment 111417
Here is a photo of the module from my car. The part number is highlighted in red. The last 4 digits in the part number are written in the body control module as a "primary key". By these numbers, the BCM recognizes the SDM module

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
ConeHugger01 you can find out the number of the SDM module in three ways:
  • through the service program for searching for spare parts by the VIN number of your car;
  • read with a diagnostic tool;
  • remove the plastic panel behind the seats (Rear Window Panel Trim) and you will see the SDM module on the central tunnel of the body.

·
Registered
08 Sky Redline, 5M
113 Posts
Fantastic thanks @E.G.P. I just looked since I have the interior all apart now, i have a 25820724

·
Registered
34 Posts
So far, everything is going fine! Today I took off the passenger seat cushion. A familiar scene is a mat break in two places. I will report on the results of his "resuscitation" ....

Attachments

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
66 Posts
So far, everything is going fine! Today I took off the passenger seat cushion. A familiar scene is a mat break in two places. I will report on the results of his "resuscitation" ....
Following this with great interest, @E.G.P. . I too am a new Solstice owner (only 3 weeks) and am sorting a few issues such as the Airbag idiot light / PPS, some rattles and squeaks, and the A/C blowing only blistering hot or ice-cold air. This forum is such a treasure trove of information!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts