Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live about 1-1/2 hours from the factory in DE and would like to save the 500.00 delivery charge. Does anyone know if thats even possible? I want to watch my new solstice being built but I don't think that will happen..

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
GM does allow you to opt for factory delivery for the Corvette. However, I have not seen any indication if a similar program will be available for the Solstice. Normally you cannot take delivery at the factory.

·
Registered
154 Posts
That could be a fun weekend. Fly in, drive the new solstice home. What a way to break it in! (as long as it doesn't rain.) I live in Kansas, but the plane trip would be significantly less than $500. And that makes the drive all the more fun.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Can I camp out at the factory, and watch my car get loaded on the truck, then stalk the truck driver until he/she drops it off at the dealership? Is there anything wrong with that? :lurk :crazy :jester

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Can I camp out at the factory, and watch my car get loaded on the truck, then stalk the truck driver until he/she drops it off at the dealership? Is there anything wrong with that? :lurk :crazy :jester
:glol

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Just do your stalking from a big enough distance to be discreet. It could be trouble if the truck driver notices you! :jester :glol

·
Registered
81 Posts
solsticegt said:
I live about 1-1/2 hours from the factory in DE and would like to save the 500.00 delivery charge. Does anyone know if thats even possible? I want to watch my new solstice being built but I don't think that will happen..
The destination charge is a contract price that GM has to pay to the hauler. Cars must be delivered through dealers according to the laws of many states.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
This used to be an option for the dealers to pick up direct but that option expired probably 40 years ago. I had a friend who was Buick/Pontiac dealer in our small town and he talked about driving units home from th factory while at zone meetings. There was a novel a few years back that I can't recall the author or name but it'll come to me, the premise was these guys picked up a new Buick in Flint in the late 50's to deliver to the dealer in NYC and along the way they encounted misadventures and misfits, including Jack Kerouac; ended up th ecar was trash when they delivered.

And as far as the destination charge of $500+, it is just one of those things we can't control. It does seem ridiculous when a truck with 10 cars stops at one dealer that it cost 5000 to get there. Even 10 stops at 500 a pop seems like someone higher up the food chain is getting rich.

I know, Donald, are you listening? Let's have an "Apprentice" episode where the teams have to deliver and unload cars. Should be as much fun as a demolition derby, or figure 8 racing.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
factory car

Anybody here as ancient as I who remembers the Johnny Cash song about working at Ford and building/driving a 49-50-51-52-53-54-55-etc, etc, car :patriot Now THAT's the American way!

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you get a Z4, you can!

From BMW's site:
Taking delivery of a new BMW is a thrill unto itself. But BMW’s Performance Center Delivery Program makes this special moment truly memorable by immersing you and your new BMW in a unique performance driving experience. Pick up your new BMW at the Performance Center in Spartanburg, South Carolina where you can tour the state-of-the-art BMW Factory and take part in driving clinics led by expert instructors. An unforgettable way to kick off the Ultimate Driving Experience.
Check BMW's link!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
achieftain said:
Anybody here as ancient as I who remembers the Johnny Cash song about working at Ford and building/driving a 49-50-51-52-53-54-55-etc, etc, car :patriot Now THAT's the American way!
I do remember that song. Actually it was about him working at the Cadillac factory wasn't it? "Got it one piece at a time, and didn't cost me a dime.." Anyways, somebody with photoshop needs to "build" that car!! :lol

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Good one about the trunks. I agree. :thumbs This car looks like its made to drive, not sit parked in front of a motel. The Mercedes 300SLR Gullwing only had matched luggage because it was a requirement for the 24 hours of LeMans to provide space for I believe a suitcase and a half.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.