Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find out if I can test a coil pack at home?

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Trying to find out if I can test a coil pack at home?
If you are getting a misfire code on one cylinder, you can switch that coil pack to another cylinder and see if the misfire follows it to the new cylinder.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are getting a misfire code on one cylinder, you can switch that coil pack to another cylinder and see if the misfire follows it to the new cylinder.
I’m getting all 4 according to the printout. It feels normal. I can’t tell that it’s misfiring. I read on another thread that someone had the same codes as I’m getting but only one coil pack was bad and only one cylinder was actually showing a misfire but the computer was showing all four cylinders. I’m not sure it’s electrical because we drove it for over 200 miles without it throwing a code after I put in fuel injector cleaner. It’s got new fuel, new battery, new plugs. I’m still leaning towards a HPFP but I believe I’d be getting a different code and fuel injector cleaner wouldn’t affect it if the pump was going bad. I don’t think it’s all 4 injectors going bad, odd that all 4 go out at the same time. Maybe a air leak but all the boots are tight from what I can tell. I’m literally stumped and tired of dealing with it. Probably going to dealer so they can actually see what everything is doing.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
If you are getting all four misfire codes, P0301, 02, 03, and 04, It is highly unlikely that they are caused by bad injectors, coil packs, or plugs. Odds of all four of those items going bad at the same time are pretty slim. Not sure what your problem may be, but type in P0301 in the search feature. Lots of possible causes there.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Old cars had one coil that sent spark to the plugs via a distributor. Our cars have a coil dedicated to each plug directly on top of the plug. I've never tested them on a Solstice but would assume the process is the same. If you disconnect the plug from the coil pack you should be able to test resistance (Ohms) between the two contacts of the primary winding and it should be a really low number (0.2-2). Then pull the coil pack off the spark plug and if you can get a long enough test probe into it to contact the plug seat and touch the other lead to the ground contact you tested before (I don't know which one it is) you should get much higher ohms (several 1000s). This is your secondary winding.

Keep in mind a cold coil can test fine on the workbench but then fails once heated up by use.

Reactions: R&T

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
New plugs... what type and what gap?

·
Registered
434 Posts
New plugs... what type and what gap?
If you have a Pontiac GXP the correct plug is the ACDelco 41-108 Iridium spark plug. Many people of tried other plugs and have had nothing but trouble.

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put in the ac Delcos.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts