Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Comments about these things came up a while ago. Do you think it actually helps.? I would think it would catch the wind coming towards it, flowing thru the cabin, and make things it worse by stopping it.

·
Administrator
8,674 Posts
Comments about these things came up a while ago. Do you think it actually helps.? I would think it would catch the wind coming towards it, flowing thru the cabin, and make things it worse by stopping it.
My experience was that there was zero effect unless the windows are up, and then the effect is minimal.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
697 Posts
Am I missing something here?
This is your basic wind restrictor which by all accounts I have read were a step up from the GM “Flyswatter” option.
Both designed to reduce the air flowing backwards into the cabin…
My first Sol came with the old trunk mount style which I removed because it was rubbing and marring the rear window with the top up.
Definitely noticed the difference when removed..

Is this post about something else?

I think I need to stop reading posts late at night…

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have to let you know about that. Since I just installed it today and the instructions say to let the adhesive cure for 72 hours; I won't know for a few days. Also, rain is in the forecast so I won't be driving it anyway. From what I've read, they work
best with the windows up. Guess I'll find out next week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So after taking the Solstice out for a little test of the wind blocker, there is a noticeable difference with the windows up. This difference is felt in the areas of the ears and neck.
The hair on the top of my head continues to blow around.
Verdict:👍

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the cheaper one that mounts against the trunk and I experienced a world of difference. Normally on the freeway I felt a constant and annoying push on the back of my head from the wind. The restrictor fixed it. More noticeable at higher speeds.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I know John's take is that it doesn't help much and I'll offer my experiences. With the windows down it acts like a scoop as you state above. With the windows up, it works by creating a 'bubble" of air in the cockpit, forcing the oncoming air to flow over it. At lower speeds it's marginally effective. At higher speeds it works well in my opinion. I'm about 6' 2" so my head is at the windshield frame. The buffeting wind bothers my ears especially during extended drives.

One fairly cool morning on my way to work with the top down, I was comfortable in the cabin with the heat on but fan on low. As I slowed for an intersection I immediately felt the cool air coming into the cockpit. Back up to 55 mph and it was comfortable again.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
697 Posts
At lower speeds it's marginally effective.
Lower speeds?This car was not designed for lower speeds!!!
(Just kidding - kinda)

I will say that windows and top down at Freeway speeds 60+ when I wear a hoodie, if I try to tuck the hood behind my back the wind just whips it out and around to the point it’s unsafe.

with the windows up it is reduced.
With the wind restrictor I would say the factor of improvement noticed from the raising of the windows went up another 25%.

enough so that if the freeways around here allowed me to frequently drive at freeway speeds I would get one on my new Sol.

also, for those that like it, it can be an aesthetically pleasing “mod” that is super easy to install…

that part may be a “Pontiac thing” which is why John doesn’t get it…
(Humorous dig intended)
:whistle:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts