Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this might be a bit off topic or technical but......Right now I feed my IPOD into my radio using FM modulation which kind of sounds like crap. Does anyone have any idea if the Solstice will come with maybe an Aux line in on the front? I think BMW stereos might be the only ones accomodating IPODs at this point.

·
Registered
55 Posts
tennis4789 said:
I know this might be a bit off topic or technical but......Right now I feed my IPOD into my radio using FM modulation which kind of sounds like crap. Does anyone have any idea if the Solstice will come with maybe an Aux line in on the front? I think BMW stereos might be the only ones accomodating IPODs at this point.
i think the BMW system is fed through the glove box but i'm not really sure.

i think that many manufacturers, including GM, are moving over to radios that have an AUX-In plug on the front of the head unit so that you can just directly plug and play. there are systems like Denison (sp?) that allow you to hardwire your IPOD in, but it's a little more complex then an OEM system. not sure if the first year Solstices will have them, but i wouldn't be surprised if the MYs after that, and the SKY will.

kris

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Aux in would be alot better, since the special thing BMWs have don't support any other brand MP3 players (mine :p)...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Aux in would be pretty excellent if it comes OEM. I've been looking for options @ Best Buy for my Prism and all the radios w/ aux in on the front are like $70 some dollars or $200. There deal is it has to be over $100 to get free install. Although the guy @ Best Buy did show me something pretty cool that Pioneer (I think) has that will allow your IPOD to plug right into and then the receiver shows what song is being played and the receiver allows control of IPOD, but it was like $300 or $400.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
tennis4789 said:
The Aux in would be pretty excellent if it comes OEM. I've been looking for options @ Best Buy for my Prism and all the radios w/ aux in on the front are like $70 some dollars or $200. There deal is it has to be over $100 to get free install. Although the guy @ Best Buy did show me something pretty cool that Pioneer (I think) has that will allow your IPOD to plug right into and then the receiver shows what song is being played and the receiver allows control of IPOD, but it was like $300 or $400.
What's wrong with buying the $70 unit and installing it yourself? Most cars you'll need to buy a wiring harness adapter, and maybe and antenna adapter. From there you unplug your OEM stereo, plug in the two adapaters, and put it back in the dash. Shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes to do yourself.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I really hope there is an aux in. when I am taking a long roadtrip it would be really nice to be able to load up the mp3 player and just hit shuffle and hear good music from begining to end.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
It's kinda funny, in this picture here:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=131&size=big

I see a small jack in the lower corner of the radio - implying there is some aux-in, but I don't see a way to change the input, like from CD to FM to Aux - maybe it's in the "band" selection.

But, I can't think of another reason to have a mini-jack input other than headphones (which are illegal in most states for the driver to wear - though I don't know why this is a problem but having a plug in your ear for hands-free phone usage is OK, or even why it's a problem wearing headphones while driving anyways... but I digress), so I'd assume that the AUX is an available feature in some level of the radio.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
solsticeman said:

I see a small jack in the lower corner of the radio - implying there is some aux-in, but I don't see a way to change the input, like from CD to FM to Aux - maybe it's in the "band" selection.

But, I can't think of another reason to have a mini-jack input other than headphones (which are illegal in most states for the driver to wear - though I don't know why this is a problem but having a plug in your ear for hands-free phone usage is OK, or even why it's a problem wearing headphones while driving anyways... but I digress), so I'd assume that the AUX is an available feature in some level of the radio.
My old AWIA stereo had a front AUX input, and it switched automaticly from the source you were on to AUX as soon as there was a signal. I'd guess this is the same way then if there isn't a selctor option.

·
Registered
14 Posts
solsticeman said:

Good eye! That is an input jack for auxilliary devices. :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Honestly, I bet they will all have the AUX, but in the event that isn't the case, the ones with MP3/CD support probably will have it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Im curious if anyone knows anything about the driver information center? Usually it is a screen that is kinda big or a stretched screen on the radio. Do u have any idea how the solstice information center will be set up or its location?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts