Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :smile

I am new to this. Have been watching the Solstice for about 2 years. My lease will run out on my Miata in March so I am going to get a old used car until I can get my Sol. Went to two dealers here in Orlando to put money down on the car but neither would accept it. One did tell me the base price was 19,999 without air. One also told me that it will be on the Apprentice as a project for the teams. He had no show date though. Think how many will want the car after that.

Love the forum and have never been on one before. Great info and found others just as crazy as I am. My friends think I have lost it as crazy as I am for this car---I am 60

Thanks

:thumbs

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Thanks Zavean, you are the 2nd person to mention the Apprentice thing (first guy said March), cool. We'll keep an eye on it since it should be a great markerting placement for Solstice.

Some members in this forum has deposits down, depends on dealer. Ordering has not begun yet so the deposit is just a placeholder.

Welcome ! :cool

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'm in the Orlando area too. You probably talked to the same two dealers I talked to, since there's really only two in this area. :D

I think the one that gave you the most information, and mentioned the Apprentice probably reads these forums, because they seemed to know about what we know. Which is far more then any other dealer any of us have talked to who wasn't active on these forums.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Haven't heard anything about it except from a local Pontiac dealer in SE MI. It certainly seems plausible since the cars were sighted in NY - it would be hard as heck to limit photography on the "streets of NYC."

However, we must consider the source - mostly from dealers. Either:

A)
Someone, (listen up, GM - here's where you might have an infosec problem!!!) AT THE BRAND MANAGEMENT OR 'PONTIAC' SIDE OF THE BUSINESS LEAKED TO A DIVISIONAL MANAGER OR SEVERAL, WHO LEAKED IT TO DEALERS WHO ARE SPREADING IT LIKE GOSSIP... Which, if the case, might not be accurate or might get someone into trouble, or both.

or B)
The whole thing is just hearsay and a tenuous connection of the NYC pics with gossip and a bit of imagination. Considering the "dealership" source of info, I'm likely to side with B - especially with no other indications.

Leaks like this, if true, are clearly the "marketing" side of the business, not the technical/enginering side. Remember, we had no indication of any sort of drive evaluation until the June articles popped up about Engineering Test Mules being driven - nearly 5 months earlier!!! And we all know how the marketing side tends to "hype" and "exaggerate" in the interest of trying to create or maintain "buzz" (or "edge" or whatever new "term" it's called today)

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
mceb said:
Here's a TV forum. They have a section on Apprentice 3 and have thread with episode listing out to show. So far no Solstice yet up to show #4. Tonight is #3 Tasters Choice coffee, next week body wash soap.

See thread: Spoiler TA3 Episode Info
http://www.tvrules.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=109
Missed it last night but saw the episode on Today where Taster's Choice had the guys picture on the jar for 6 years without his permission - he was awarde 16 million in damages

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
solsticeman, I would assume if this is true it won't be top secret? They release TV stuff in far in advance for promos, buzz etc. Plus the TV people themselves know the episode content etc.

Agree for now it's hearsay until we get something in writing.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
mceb said:
solsticeman, I would assume if this is true it won't be top secret? They release TV stuff in far in advance for promos, buzz etc. Plus the TV people themselves know the episode content etc.

Agree for now it's hearsay until we get something in writing.
GM may have an embargo on the release of info indicating the Sol is in a future episode. I bet GM people would be far more likely to leak the info than the TV people too. GM spends a TON of advertising dollars at the network. They certainly wouldn’t want to jeopardize that!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Not to mention NDA's signed by everyone who's even peripherially involved with Apprentice. I've heard they're even worse than Survivor's NDA's, both of which include personal liability in case of information leaks that go into the millions of $$$.

Had a FOAF who was the sister of the air force guy on one of the Survivors, and also know someone who knows Elizabeth's (Apprentice) mother or sister or something.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
solsticeman said:
Had a FOAF who was the sister of the air force guy on one of the Survivors, and also know someone who knows Elizabeth's (Apprentice) mother or sister or something.
Attention... Moderator Threadjacked! :smile

I knew (hung out with in Las Vegas a few times) one of the girls on the first Survivor, and I've known two of the Bachelors so far. I used to go watch Bachelor Bob's band (Fat Amy) in college all the time, and hung out in the bars drinking after the shows.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
rlhammon said:
Attention... Moderator Threadjacked! :smile
I was merely noting that NDA's can be quite nasty. An embargo is a "weak NDA" where you essentially put up the "inside scoop" as collateral - if you leak info ahead of the agreed time, you simply won't be part of the "inside" anymore. Some websites are really ticked because of pre-embargoed pics showing up.

These reality shows have real, personally liable NDA's. Breaking them is serious business.

This apprentice, the woman that left (quit) can't talk about the "real" reason she quit, because of her NDA. She can't talk about the liability of breaking the NDA, but it's rumored to be in the $Millions.

I bet B.Bob once, in the local area at a restaurant - he's (was) a mini-celeb in MI, and I've also met Michael Skupkin, he lives within 15 miles of the Milford Proving Ground.

·
4,592 Posts
solsticeman said:
I bet B.Bob once, in the local area at a restaurant - he's (was) a mini-celeb in MI, and I've also met Michael Skupkin, he lives within 15 miles of the Milford Proving Ground.
name dropper :lol

·
4,592 Posts
solsticeman said:
Just remembering others I've asked about NDA'a. Didn't mean to name drop... :thumbs
Just kiddin'....didn't know who any of those people are :jester

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
no show, please

After seeing the POS commercials the groups came up with for Dove, I hope the Solstice is NOT part of a marketing task for this Apprentice group! :brentil:
:banghead

Makes me want to swear off cucumbers. :lol

·
4,592 Posts
Doubt this is anything, probably reading into it toomuch, but:

tv guide description of the apprentice tonight:
The candidates are challenged to a corporate graffiti advertising task for a new video game.

graffiti = the sol NY street scene we saw some time back

Brentil's video game screen grabs this afternoon.

just a thought, please don't banish me to that other forum :lol:

EDIT: I may have been wrong, but by how much, the challenge for the show was GRan Tourismo 4 which does have a Solstice, so close??? Still watching, anybody see tonights episode?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dealer

Zavean said:
Hi :smile

I am new to this. Have been watching the Solstice for about 2 years. My lease will run out on my Miata in March so I am going to get a old used car until I can get my Sol. Went to two dealers here in Orlando to put money down on the car but neither would accept it. One did tell me the base price was 19,999 without air. One also told me that it will be on the Apprentice as a project for the teams. He had no show date though. Think how many will want the car after that.

Love the forum and have never been on one before. Great info and found others just as crazy as I am. My friends think I have lost it as crazy as I am for this car---I am 60

:thumbs
I am 53 and my family thinks I am nuts too. I contacted a downtown Orlando dealer via their Internet sales guy and have placed a $50 deposit for a Sol at MSRP.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Near as I can figure there are about four of us from Orlando. We need to get together and go to the same dealer and see if we can get a better price. The dealer where you put the $50.00 down the did give you the MSRP price? That is great. Any other info they could give you????

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Zavean said:
Near as I can figure there are about four of us from Orlando. We need to get together and go to the same dealer and see if we can get a better price. The dealer where you put the $50.00 down the did give you the MSRP price? That is great. Any other info they could give you????
I'm an Orlando fence sitter. Haven't decided if I'm pre-ordering or waiting for the Sky yet.

Don't expect to see the Solstice Apprentice episode until April I'm betting when the car can be officially ordered and dealer allocation is available.

·
Registered
12 Posts
RODEO said:
Doubt this is anything, probably reading into it toomuch, but:

tv guide description of the apprentice tonight:
The candidates are challenged to a corporate graffiti advertising task for a new video game.

graffiti = the sol NY street scene we saw some time back

Brentil's video game screen grabs this afternoon.

just a thought, please don't banish me to that other forum :lol:

EDIT: I may have been wrong, but by how much, the challenge for the show was GRan Tourismo 4 which does have a Solstice, so close??? Still watching, anybody see tonights episode?

I saw the whole episode. No evidence of the Sol at all. Next week is not the Sol, either, but I don't remember what it is right now. I will be watching that too because my wife is really into the show. To be honest, it is rather interesting once you get into it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts