Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your AR5 is experiencing shift blocking or lock-out, your synchronizers are worn (or your clutch is dragging). At around the 200K mile mark, I could not downshift into 4th from 5th but I could go from 3rd to 4th no problem. The only way I could downshift into 4th was to double clutch or as a quicker alternative quickly "bump" 3rd gear and quickly shift to 4th in one fluid motion. This is how I knew the 4th synchro was toast. Bumping 3rd (essentially short shifting) eventually killed its synchro too. A few weeks ago the clutch hydraulic line burst, so I decided to put in a new transmission since I had to pull it to fix the hydraulic line anyways. I have completely disassembled the AR5 and will post a full tear-down guide next week but for now here are pictures of the worn out 4th synchro.

What has happened is the brass blocking ring drive "lug" has worn into the steel hub. This allows the blocking ring to index too far and thus preventing the slider from moving forward even though the synchro has matched speeds. The synchro hub must be made from some really ****ty steel for brass to wear into it.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts