Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Stocking up on some parts. I was wondering if aftermarket brake hoses are hard to find? GM has ours discountinued of course and i was wondering if i should get them if I find them?

Thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
You ought to be able to get the hoses made. I go to a shop called "House of Hose" (great name by the way) and they will build me whatever kinds of lines or hoses I need with whatever kind of ends/connectors I ask for. I hate building braided lines.

Reactions: showtime

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. Thanks everyone

Found a source for the right door weatherstrip for $28
I can post the link if anyone is interested. They're usually run over $100 and closer to $200 in canada.

Reactions: OnaWingandaPrayer

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
6,367 Posts
I hate building braided lines.

AN fittings my friend AN fittings. with stainless steel braided line it's got a 5000 psi rating. The ends go on with 2 adjustable wrenches. It is exceedingly easy to do.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AN fittings my friend AN fittings. with stainless steel braided line it's got a 5000 psi rating. The ends go on with 2 adjustable wrenches. It is exceedingly easy to do.
Good idea. I have them on my bike, but never occurred to me to put them on the Solstice

·
Registered
6,367 Posts

They sell Aeroflow fittings and hoses. Or you can get them directly from Aeroflow in Australia. Aeroforce has the largest selection of AN fittings and adapters They have a HUGE selection. Their website sucks to navigate around to find things.

Only thing that has clamps on my car are the charge/intake pipes. Everything else is AN including the radiator hoses. I have spent a great deal of time putting all of those fittings in, also a great deal of money as well. The -16AN fittings have a really hefty price tag. $50+ for a single hose end. Each Heater hose has a price tag of over $150 and they are only 12" long!!

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive tire

excuse the mess in the background, maid had the day off.

Reactions: DragonSolGXP

·
Registered
397 Posts

Yeah, but every time I seem to build hoses I always have little drops of blood oozing from my fingertips. And those little buggers seem to hurt for days.

Reactions: JohnWR

·
Administrator
11,301 Posts
Yeah, but every time I seem to build hoses I always have little drops of blood oozing from my fingertips. And those little buggers seem to hurt for days.
Exactly. "Easy" and "pleasant" are not quite synonymous.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
You have to know how to do it so you don't get the bloody fingers.

ELECTRICAL TAPE!!!

Tape the hose with 3-4 layers of electrical tape and then cut it. Pull the electrical tape super tight when wrapping the hose. This keeps the stainless steel strands from fraying out. Don't unravel the tape from the end of the hose, pull it straight off the end. This makes sure that any strands that are going to wander end up wandering in a single direction, to the end of the hose.

AN compression nuts are threaded to screw onto the hose. They are a left hand thread and when putting the nut on the hose turn it counter clockwise as you push the nut on and it will screw onto the hose. OIL is your friend. Doesn't matter what kind of oil it is. I put some Mobile 1 into one of those old school oilers that you push in on the bottom and it makes the click sound. 3-4 drops on the inside of the hose and 2 drops on the threads and then screw the fitting into the compression nut.

Electrical tape the fitting before putting a wrench on. ONLY use aluminum AN wrenches or adjustable wrenches that have had the corners rounded off on the jaws. I am pretty sure this is done on purpose but AN fittings have rounded edges where the wrenches go on. You CANNOT use normal wrenches on them because they will be just a smidge loose and with the rounded corners the wrenches slip which makes a mess of the finish on the fittings. SHARPIE markers to the rescue. Black anodizing and black Sharpie markers are an almost exact match color wise. If you only mar the finish and don't dig groves into the aluminum it's easy to clean up the fittings so they look like new again. Red Sharpie markers is also a close match to the red used on AN fittings (most of the time)

and last but not least, work with your hands more and build up some callous. The thicker the skin the farther the strands have to stick in before it hurts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts