Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to program a dual or even triple tune as I have on my Toyota? Trifecta used to offer a dual tune that was activated by the cruise control but withdrew the offering. I would love to have a valet or economy tune to run when I am not driving the car and a performance tune for my own use.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Yes. Trifecta did, but it was kind of for warranty purposes only. As far as I know they still do offer it. If not, talk to Dave at DDMWorks. He still sells the Trifecta tunes.

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
Yes. Trifecta did, but it was kind of for warranty purposes only. As far as I know they still do offer it. If not, talk to Dave at DDMWorks. He still sells the Trifecta tunes.
Are you referring to a dual tune or a switchable tune? The switchable tune allows you to select between stock and custom, while the dual tune would allow two non-stock tunes (eg: valet and performance) in addition to stock.

I have not heard of anything beyond the switchable tune being offered, but that may only be because no one has asked.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I wonder if you can flash your car with the GMPP Turbo UpgradeKit with sensors as your "base tune" and then you can have Trifecta write you another tune that will work on/off the cruise control button???

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
I wonder if you can flash your car with the GMPP Turbo UpgradeKit with sensors as your "base tune" and then you can have Trifecta write you another tune that will work on/off the cruise control button???
Yes.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
huh....When I asked them this very question 2 years ago, I was told no. One tune had to be the OE base tune and one was their tune/custom tune. I wanted to keep my initial tune i had...

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
Yes you can - that is exactly what I have on my car - underlying GMPP with custom Trifecta on top to suit the modified turbo I use. No idea why they would say they couldn't do that.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Yes you can - that is exactly what I have on my car - underlying GMPP with custom Trifecta on top to suit the modified turbo I use. No idea why they would say they couldn't do that.
Well...this is all news to me as well now. I sent them an email. I wanted to keep my dyno tune as my primary tune and get the Trifecta as the second tune for "around town". I wanted to also wanted to see if my car ran better with their tune over the dyno tune. I was told absolutely not. They could not use my dyno tune and put it with their tune. The primary had to be the OE factory tune and the secondary would be their canned tune or custom tune. But I could order just a standard canned tune from them and not worry about a dual tune. I sent 2 different emails asking this and both times was told the samething.

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
The GMPP tune and any aftermarket tune are totally different things.

The GMPP tune is a rewrite of the ECM program and actually changes the basic operation.

An aftermarket tune is an overlay of the lookup tables that the ECM uses.

Just as the aftermarket tune can be used in conjunction with the OE base tune, it can be used with the GMPP tune. Conversely, two overlays cannot be used together.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
From my discussions with Vince Geglia, the tuner at Trifecta back in 2009/10, the Trifecta tunes 'resides' in a different way/place in the ECM than other tunes do and unlike a conventional tune, they do not overwrite what is there before. By triggering their tune to take over with the basic (stock, GMPP, whatever) tune still there, they don't affect that tune, which remains there if you switch the Trifecta tune to 'off'. No mention of just how this is accomplished, of course - Vince was a software geek at Microsoft for some years.

I am not aware of any other tune that operates that way; if you get one done by HP Tuners, it will overwrite whatever you had on there and will require the original tune (which hopefully was archived as a copy) to be reinstalled.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
My understanding was that our ECM keeps track of the number of times it is written or rewritten...and nobody but a GM engineer has access to that. They used this against people when cars were still under warranty "if" they thought a mechanical issue was from being tuned. Everytime the tune is switched on the switchable tune from Trifecta, its an "overwrite" and counted as being retuned. When i had my friend read the part numbers to my tune, my ECM had been rewritten 10 times.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trifecta refused my request to run a dual stock/modified tune. I have an HP Tuner but am too cautious to tinker with my own tuning. I just am curious how dual or triple tunes are done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts