Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading different posts I have learned that emission readiness codes can be a problem after certain modifications to a car. This appears to be related to the OBD II test cycle wanting certain test cycles to be completed before the car is ready for emissions testing.

Occasionally, my check engine light will come on during intermediate / partial throttle accelerations. The light goes out by itself after five or six sessions of normal driving. Question, does this mean the "emissions readiness" cycle is complete?

Second question, if you manually reset a fault code, does this mean that an OBD readiness cycle must still be completed before the car is emissions ready?

Essentially, I'm asking are "readiness codes" separate and independent of "fault codes"' or is one tied to the other?

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
They are separate. If you have fault codes, that indicates a problem of some sort with the system. A not ready condition with the emissions systems will not light the Check Engine light.

You might want to get that code that keeps coming up looked at or at least have the code read to see what it might be.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks useful to know "readiness" and "faults" are different

It appears from you explanation the fault code causes the engine light, not the readiness codes. The check engine light going out after five or six driving sessions indicates some intermittent problem that doesn't occur often. I'll have to check the code the next time it trips the light.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
It's still there in the history.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
What you need to do as far as the emission inspection is run it through a series of on off cycles to reprogram the ECU (I hope that's the right terminology) .I have run across this with my car as it is stored in the winter and at times I have disconnected the battery to work on it. To do this you need to start the car and run it for a couple of miles (I do 10 mile intervals and repeat it 10 times just to be safe)) then shut it off and repeat this procedure at least 7 times per my local G.M.dealer .If all they are doing is a tail pipe test you should be good to go .I know we both have the same setups basically on our cars and I am just wondering if you had Hann do your tune I know you mentioned someone local.The reason I ask is because I had Hann do mine and have not had any issues with CEL or emissions tests.Also did you replace the sparkplugs ? Hann recommends using NGK 4306 gapped at 035 I know my car had a slight intermittent miss till I put the new plugs in.Hope this helps !

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sting Ya, Thanks for the guidance

I did have a local shop install the original tune as you mentioned. I've been waiting for Hahn Racecraft to deliver the exhaust system I ordered with the original kit, after which I was planning on installing the Hahn tune that was part of the kit. Kind of tired of waiting for the exhaust so I requested the cable and tune instructions be sent last week.

Thanks for the info that the battery disconnect removes the history. I did replace the sparkplugs as you suggested. Seems to be fine no misfires, just the occassional P0121 on moderate accelerations 4K- 4.5K rpms, less spirited or more spirited acceleration does not exhibit the problem. Mine is an automatic and from the posts on the forum I hear the tune is trickier than the manual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts