Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for all the questions, but the seats don't exactly look real comfortable. I'm OK with the lack of space to recline, but how far can you drive that baby without lumbar support??

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The edmunds.com review of the prototype indicated that the seats were fairly comfortable. Maybe the pics don't do them justice. I guess you just need to sit in them and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well as soon as I can find a solstice to get my butt into, I plan to try the seats out in person. How do you sign up to be a test driver? :thumbs It's just that I have a Saturn and the seats kill my back. Has anyone on the forum driven a prototype so they can give some real experience feedback? Or do you have a gag order.

Is the June '05 launch date final?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Soltice Seats

Speaking of the seats does anyone know if you will be able to choose the color of leather seats??? I'm not really digging the two tone black and tan leather seats. I would rather have all black or grey leather????

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
All we've got is a rumor that pre-intro delivery (those with special connections) get them in June and first delivery is in July. Lots of speculation that a summer release would boost sales and I'm sure GM's aware of that. But again, GM hasn't said a thing and that may be our wishful thinking. GM officially hasn't even said what month they'll begin production. Absolute worse case is September delivery.

We could make a whole list on what GM hasn't said:
What color paint
What color interior
Info on roof
Options available
EPA numbers......
And a lot more

The best things don't come quickly., but more than a year is torture!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Automatic or mannual

I can't drive a stick shift do you think they will come out with an automatic or have they kept that a secret too? I have been waiting to get a new car for awhile now. I did my research and have narrowed it down to either this soltice or an Audi TT. If the soltice doesn't come out an automatic I guess my mind will be made up because I know that the TT comes in automatic(but more money). I'm also a little leary about buying an american made car. I have owned honda's and had no problems with them. Don't get me wrong I LOVE AMERICA but I have know people with american cars that are always in the shop. What do you think?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pammy, I think you should check out the Honda S2000 if you are thinking of a TT...and learn to drive a stick! It isn't hard and it is worth the driving experience. Seriously, if you are in to Hondas, the S2000 beat out the TT, Boxter, 350Z and the BMW Z series for best roadster. TT is cute, but it came out last in the comparison.

I don't know how the solstice will compare with its 170 HP, but don't wait around for an automatic. Why even bother having a roadster if you can't throw it into the next gear?

·
Registered
110 Posts
The look

Okay this is going to sound like a total girl(cause I'm a girl) but I don't really care about the power. I care about how cute I look in the car hee hee hee =) I do want to learn how to drive stick but it just seems so hard..........Yeah I have looked into the S2000 but I like the look of the TT and solstice much better =)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
We've had this discussion a couple times before in other threads. Here's the quote from the edmunds.com interview with Hopson, he had the following to say...

The base version is not some bare-bones version, either, he said, but includes the aforementioned 18-inch alloys, four-wheel disc brakes and the aluminum sport suspension. Options are few, including just leather upholstery, an upgraded audio system, different wheel finishes and limited-slip differential. An automatic transmission will also be available sometime after launch, but choosing that is like wearing a snow suit in the Caribbean — you're missing the point.
So more then likely there's a cloth seat base, since there's a leather option. And looking at other Pontiac's that usually means a black and gray color option. And as you see eventually an automatic. According to them if you stack all the options on you're talking $25,000 for your Solstice.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Trasmission

Thanks for the info on the automatic transmission. I wish I knew how to drive a stick but then again power doesn't really matter to me. I do hope that the leather seats will come in solid colors because if it doesn't I very serious doubt I will buy the car. I'm really not into the two tone colors...
thanks again for the info I'm new to this site as of yesterday :crazy

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Welcome onboard PammySoltice. :cool It looks like there will be a lag time between the intro of the Solstice and the availablity of an auto. There will be one eventually, but GM hasn't really said how long it will be.

Driving stick shift really is not as hard as it sounds or looks. It just takes a little practice to get used to it. But it is nothing more than basically pushing in the clutch, shifting to the gear you want, releasing the clutch and giving it gas. Within a short period of time you will easily be able to get the car moving, and after a day or two you will be able to drive it fairly well. At least good enough to get yourself around. A week or two after that it will start to become second nature, and you will have a blast driving the car and wonder why you were so tentative about getting a stick shift in the first place! :smile Its not that difficult at all, and like riding a bycicle you won't forget once you learn. If you have any friends with manual cars, you may want to try to talk them into a few lessons to get a feel for it. Then you can judge for yourself whether you enjoy owning one or not!

As for color options, who knows! GM has kept very quiet on all that stuff and the only thing we have to go by is the production prototype and the original concept. I doubt the grey and tan interior will be the only one, since tan interiors don't match up well with all exterior colors. I would expect some sort of solid grey interior, or a grey interior with varying shades of grey so it blends together.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I second the motion to learn to drive a stick shift. Honestly it is not that hard and you will have much more fun than just driving an automatic, plus the guys will think it's really cool that you know how to drive a stick. Most of the girls I've dated either were driving sticks at the time I dated them or they had driven them in the past and loved it. My wife's number one criteria for her new car a few years ago was that it be a 5-speed. It's very easy to learn and in no time at all you will not even think about doing it, it just becomes a natural part of driving the car. Give it a shot and you will never go back!

p.s. Welcome to the board!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I won't even look at a car if it isn't a stick! ;) Why bother driving at all? There is nothing worse than meeting a guy who drives a nice car...and then realizing it is an automatic!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Men ahhhhhhh

Hey lets hope I have better luck driving the stick shift than I have with guys :crazy hee hee hee I will probably learn how to drive stick before I meet my prince =) I keep kissing frogs hee hee hee hee It does seem sexy to know how to drive a stick though, huh

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
solsticegirl said:
I won't even look at a car if it isn't a stick! ;) Why bother driving at all?
Good attitude solsticegirl. A beautiful sports car like this with an automatic is such a waste.

I wish more girls felt the way you do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dealers always look at me funny when I tell them not to even think about trying to sell me an automatic!! :lol It's hard to find sticks in the Bay Area b/c everyone wants to get an automatic to deal with the traffic. You have to be pretty weak not to be able to deal with a modern clutch in traffic...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
solsticegirl said:
Dealers always look at me funny when I tell them not to even think about trying to sell me an automatic!! :lol It's hard to find sticks in the Bay Area b/c everyone wants to get an automatic to deal with the traffic. You have to be pretty weak not to be able to deal with a modern clutch in traffic...
My wife has the same experience because she will only drive a stick (my fault, I showed her the advantages years ago and now she's hooked). Sales people often times point her at an automatic even though she specificaly asked to see a manual. She gets pissed pretty quick, she has little tolerance for crappy salespeople and you don't wan't to try to sell her something she doesn't want! That's the way it is though, if you're a woman, they assume automatic and they assume that the only thing you care or know about in a car is the color.

It's not just the Bay Area that wants automatics, it's the whole country. I remember reading a statistic about five years ago that only around 10% of the cars sold here are with manuals. That's why most domestic cars and trucks are not even offered with a stick. 10% is not worth the additional costs of engineering and inventory. Foreign manufactures don't have this problem because in other counrties it is the exact opposite, everyone wants manual. So it's easy for them to offer them to the 10% of americans that actualy prefer to completely drive their cars. The American market is big enough that the engineering and inventory costs for an automatic is worth the expense to a foriegn manufacturer, and it's easy for them to offer both.

Years ago domestic manufactures were forced into offering sticks as a way to improve their CAFE standards, but it seems that they don't care as much about them now. Foreign companies have tried in the past to sell cars here without automatics and failed. They all eventually adopt one for each of their models (Many of which are made by GM) For those that want a Solstice with an automatic, never fear, they will be available. GM knows the American preference for automatics better than anyone, hell they invented them because they knew in the thirties that Americans would want them.

Some have suggested that the Solstice will only be offered innitialy with only a 5 speed with the automatic to follow. I think that's perfect for me, it will scare away many buyers in the beginning and keep dealer gouging to a minimum. There's no freekin' way I would ever buy a car like this with an automatic. My dillema will be if they offer a 6 speed and a 5 speed, that could be a tough choice. :cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts