1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,544 Posts
They look salvageable to me.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
post 5 of this thread shows my experience...

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
They look salvageable. You will be surprised how bad they can look and still clean up nicely.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Theres nothing you can do about the white cracks in the lens. Scratch marks and oxidization can be removed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I took mine to a paint and body shop and they came out great. I probably could have done them myself but didn't want to spend the hours.

Reactions: GAT

·
Registered
163 Posts
Will sanding and buffing bring these back to like new condition? They seem pretty far gone.

View attachment 109355 View attachment 109356
I left mine in place and masked them off to protect the paint finish, then used toothpaste and a buffing tool, rinsing all the time. Took me a couple hours but they came out looking near new. There are previous posts about this and many different ways to accomplish the same end but a lot of elbow grease is needed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've done mine a couple of times. Yeah, they will look good again, but will still
"haze" over. I ended up replacing both of them and covering them with a protective film from Lamin-X. It looks like it did when it was new. It's the sunlight (actually UV light) that degrades the plastic and causes the "haze".

·
Registered
204 Posts
you will want to sand using these grit papers, starting from the lowest and ending at the highest.
320, 400, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000

I can't stress this enough... WATER WATER WATER WATER, you have to use a lot of water. Make sure you are paying attention when you are sanding. The plastic that you sand off is going to want to "ball" up under the paper. If it does it means that you are not using enough water. One piece of debris under the paper is going to make your life miserable. If you have taken the lens off the housing (which I would recommend you do for lenses that look like the ones above) use a soft finger nail brush and loosen and debris on the lens. then run the lens through the dishwasher rinse cycle on the eco setting. Pat the lens dry and inspect for any debris. If there is still some left repeat the above steps.

I typically use a cotton polishing wheel and some white rouge after sanding and then 100% Carnuba wax after that. they come out perfectly clear so long as there is no crazing.

crazing: cracking caused by UV and heat from the bulbs. The lens with have "sparkles" in the plastic. Sanding will not fix this and the lenses will have to be replaced.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I did also want to mention. If you look at the lenses above, the yellow discoloration you see on the lenses. This is not the plastic that is discolored on these lenses, It is a coating that is put on the plastic that is supposed to make the plastic more chip resistant. This is what makes the lenses foggy after time, the coating is what you are wanting to remove when you sand. 90's vehicles that had plastic lenses would yellow as well, except with those lenses it could be the plastic that has yellowed, this you cannot fix. So look at the lens before you start working on it. You can usually tell where the yellowing is coming from. Nothing worse then spending hours doing something and have the end result come out not much better then when you started.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've used the polish/sealant kit in the past. They do work and greatly improve to look of the lights, but they don't last very long. You'll probably have to re-do it in under a year. A more permanent fix is to progressively wet sand, then clear coat, then treat the lights like you would your paint (seal/ wax/ protect)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Oh and OP, it really comes down to how much time you want to spend. Yours look pretty bad (at least in the 2nd pic) and will take a bunch of sanding. I spent several hours on mine, and I think yours are a bit worse than mine were. But it can be made to look almost like new.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh and OP, it really comes down to how much time you want to spend. Yours look pretty bad (at least in the 2nd pic) and will take a bunch of sanding. I spent several hours on mine, and I think yours are a bit worse than mine were. But it can be made to look almost like new.
The good news i don't have to spend any time, i found a spare set of headlights in the garage, forgot i had another good pair 😂

1 - 19 of 19 Posts