Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a brain cramp and bought tires in NJ w/o checking the date code. It was disclosed to me they were taken off an '08 Sky with under 1K, so I should have done the math. Tires visually look brand new. Got home and discovered they're 8 years old. Mr. Tire is making me sign a liability waiver before they'll mount them, saying they don't recommend I put them on the Coupe, based on age alone. They agree the tires look fine. Am I crazy to mount them on the GXP?

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
if you have the tires sitting there id roll the bead as far in as you can and look for cracks. older tires will look like broken safety glass if you bend them. if not then I'd use them for a while. just note that with older tires they will wear faster and will not ride as smooth as newer tires.

I've bought many a used tire from my local Joes tires and have never experienced a blow out. just make sure to check the pressure when you get home. my new tires had 55psi in them when I checked. just be sure and let them cool down first as a good long semi hard drive will increase the PSI by 5 or 10 lbs. that's where folks run into problems. they roll with 45 PSI and get on the freeway and after they heat up, increase to about 55 or 60 PSI they could explode just by running over a small rock.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
If you have any doubts replace them I have a set of 10 year old Radial Trans Ams on my Vette and would not hesitate to drive on them .My car is stored properly on jacks when not in use ,the tires are at the proper inflation and I wipe them down twice a year with a good coat of Armorall to keep the rubber pliable.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Probably not a problem. But . . .
On a car being used as a Sunday driver, a station car, a short commute car, a local grocery getter, the problem value is low. Speeds are low, no heat buildup from extensive use and those tires will last until you wear them out.

If you're a hotshot and you demand super-car performance from your ride, no shortcuts with tires are ever acceptable. Even brand new tires will need to be matched to the demands being put on them, so brand, style, speed rating all count.

So, who are you? What do you expect from that rubber. I autocross so I bought a new set of Dunlop Direzzas. However, for the past two years I've been racing on used Hoosier A6's with dry rot cracks! No problem! So go figure.

Tires get dry rot. Temperature changes, humidity, pressure, bad storage; all influence the rubber. Look them over carefully. No cracks or dryness, good live rubber, mount 'em up. If you see cracks, make your own personal decision about the kind of wear and tear you dish out.

And don't sign anything. Take them to somebody else. Waiver, schmaiver. Screw them.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tires were in a heated garage when I arrived. Where they were 10 minutes before that I don't know. In the same garage was his prize '07 Sky, with 7K mi. on it, with tires that are 8-9 years old that he says he drives once a week.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
So, with the reco that tires should be replaced at 10 years old, and these are 8 years old... Do you plan on having them on < 2 years. And/or is this without your comfort margin?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, with the reco that tires should be replaced at 10 years old, and these are 8 years old... Do you plan on having them on < 2 years. And/or is this without your comfort margin?
I'm okay with them because they look brand new, and the people at Mr. Tire couldn't find a damn thing wrong with them (even though they tried). I understand that a visual inspection isn't a guarantee, but ....

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Let me explain a very similar situation that happened to both myself and my father. I owned a '98 Mustang GT and bought Bridgestone Potenza summer tires (PO4 I think) for my Mustang I bought off of Tire Rack online. Mounted and drove the car the first summer. Took them off that winter, mounted my storage tires on the car....both sets had their own rims as well. The next summer I mounted the summer tires on the car and noticed a slight vibration. Took it in and had them "force balanced", which seemed to take the vibration out. Took them off that winter and put on storage tires....next spring mounted them again and the vibration was back, and was horrible. Took the car in and they told me the belts had seperated in all 4 tires. Upon doing research, I found out my tires were 4 years old when I bought them and were now 7 years old. In all my tires had maybe 12k on them! I went round and round with Tire Rack to no avail...thus the reason I will NEVER buy another tire from them.

Now my father.....he has an '05 Mustang convertible. Bought Falken tires 3 years ago from Belle Tire. That late winter, he took his car for maintenance and was told the tires were cracking and were unsafe. After looking at the manufacturer date he found out that his tires were 4 years old. He fought with both Falken and Belle Tire as neither would do more then "pro rate" a tire that was on his car less then 1 year. Falken said that the tires were too old to warranty and Belle said they never do anything other then pro-rate tires. His tires had less then 6k on them and were purchased less then 8 months prior as brand new! Needless to say, I won't buy another Falken tire, nor will my car ever go to Belle Tire again...

So just a little food for thought. You will risk the belts seperating. I wouldn't drive the car faster then 40mph!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Sell them.

Tires get harder as they age. I removed original tires from my 2009 that still have 75% of the wear left because they were getting less and less sticky - the handling was going for a crap at only 5 years old. The difference with new rubber is amazing.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did some research and ended up buying a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires.

Car handles great now, even though I had to get a special permit from NASA because the car is now a rocket since the Trifecta tune. ;)

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Did some research and ended up buying a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires.

Car handles great now, even though I had to get a special permit from NASA because the car is now a rocket since the Trifecta tune. ;)
Good choice - those were near the top of my list too!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
:agree::agree::agree:

Tire life is generally 7 years. The problem is the aging impacts are generally not visible
Indeed, mine are visually perfect, but have much less grip now. You can't tell just by looking at them.

·
Registered
693 Posts
once had a tire fail at 80 mph on the front of my 1966 hotrod.the tires were 5 years old and hadnt been used much,garage stored.i wont drive on old tires anymore,its just not worth it.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Good choice - those were near the top of my list too!
The DWS is an all season (though a very good one). Very different than what you ended up getting. Sure you weren't looking at the DW? That's what Jo has on her PT. Still not in the same class as the PSS, but much closer

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The DWS is an all season (though a very good one). Very different than what you ended up getting. Sure you weren't looking at the DW? That's what Jo has on her PT. Still not in the same class as the PSS, but much closer
Good catch - I was indeed considering the DW, not the DWS. I wasn't looking at any all season tires as I wasn't willing to accept the handling compromise that they represent. If we lived elsewhere where winter took over for any length of time, I might think differently, but out here we rarely get any snow so unless you are a skier, you don't need snow tires.

My wife, who likes snow shoeing, if we ever got any snow on the local mountains, which is looking pretty unlikely this year, gets dedicated snow tires. She thinks I am such a caring nice guy to do that for her. What she doesn't realize is that her car is just the back up if it ever DOES snow here and I park the Solstice! ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
pro tech here certified in 1997 ok here is the deal . if your a hot dogger like I am . ok then those tires may not be for you . if your taking your car on those fun FAST turns at over 100 or 140 or even 150 lol depending what you have done to your car . those tires are not for you . its not that they are slippery or worn . even if they look brand new once a tire gets old age on them then they start to fail may premature blow out . if your a normal driver then go with them as long as you do not see any cracks on the side walls thy should be just fine. every thing I posted is fictional not to be used as advice or legal issues

1 - 20 of 23 Posts