Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would actually prefer to buy a non-convertible tiny, but good looking sports car. I had a Z3 a few years ago (in Houston) and I found that I rarely used the top. But I do like small, sports cars. Come to think of it, I don't think there have ever been an really small closed roof 2 seaters.

Why should I have to spend extra to get less structural stiffness w/ the convertible. I would have to think there is a market for an 18k hardtop solstice.

·
4,592 Posts
welcome :cheers

:brentil:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Welcome to the forum cman! :cheers

Just ignore all the exploding head smilies your going to see! Its an inside joke! :cool

For your question... right now GM is only making the convertable. No steel roof version of the car. We have had a number of people on the forum who have wished for a hardtop coupe, so hopefully GM will accomodate their desire in the future.

There have been a few small hardtop sports cars. Coming to mind is the original RX-7, as well as the MR2, CRX and Fiero in the 1980's.

·
Registered
397 Posts
They will be needing one of they plan to go SCCA showroom stock racing (which they should).

·
Registered
163 Posts
cman321 said:
I would actually prefer to buy a non-convertible tiny, but good looking sports car. I had a Z3 a few years ago (in Houston) and I found that I rarely used the top. But I do like small, sports cars. Come to think of it, I don't think there have ever been an really small closed roof 2 seaters.

Why should I have to spend extra to get less structural stiffness w/ the convertible. I would have to think there is a market for an 18k hardtop solstice.
:agree You would think Pontiac would first make a hardtop coupe then bring out the convertible the following year. For $18K they would sell 50,000 + units a year. I am hoping for the hardtop also.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
MGA coupe (sometimes better looking than convertible)
Triumph Spitfire GT6
VW Karmann Ghia
TVR Vixen

·
5,600 Posts
We were all really hoping they would build this one! The Chevy Nomad Concept.

Small, light sports coupe a bit longer than the Solstice. But they killed it. I could REALLY see owning 2 kappas. I would love to have a Nomad parked right next to my Solstice in the driveway.

Nope. No coupe is in the works. Consensus seems to be that roadsters outsell hardtops so they may never go that way. We all obviously hope they do!

Please. :cryin

·
Registered
58 Posts
But then I saw the Roadster and man,,,I couldnt make up my mind, thats ok though because they made it up for me! :smile I will be almost as happy with the Roadster as the Coupe (trunk, top, and engine). I would love to wait for the Coupe with the S/C or Turbo but what if they never make it. Then I would miss having the first year car by waiting for nothing! :mad

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts
Here is what I think, since the NOMAD is link to Chevy, maybe that part of GM will bring it to life some day in the future. In my opinion it would do better than the SSR and the HHR combine. Specially if the price is like the Solstice.
How about a poll to see how many people would definitely buy one, if the price point is the same as Solstice, both been Kappa plataforms.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Chevy has basically said that the Nomad was not well received by the public and therefore its essentially dead. I hope they tweak it some and give it another shot, but its not looking good. Also, GM has indicated they have no intention on working on the long wheelbase Kappa Chassis in the near future, prefering to wait and see how the Sky and Sol do. Since the Nomad was on the LWB chassis, it would have to wait at least until they start up development on a long weheelbase version.

I think the best hope for a coupe would be a fixed roof version of the Solstice or Sky. It would be the easiest and cheapest to do without major reengineering of the car.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
MGA coupe (sometimes better looking than convertible)
My first car in high school! Don't forget the MGBGT and BMW had the hatchback Z3 screamer.

Agree that I could see myself with both a Solstice and a Nomad in the driveway (when I was showing them off) but now they've decided for me I'll have to dream of a Solstice/HHR combo as the HHR may not have a Kappa chassis but does have the same running gear. When it comes to repairs, it'd be nice to learn on one so when the same thing happens to the other, I wouldn't have to learn it again.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ohhh the Triumph GT6. Nothing like a 2 liter straight six and a sweet handling chassis to beat up on those MGs. :smile

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Soul Stiz said:
According to an email update I just got from Pontiac, the 2006 G6 Coupe will have a retractable hard top.
Old news already, introduced at Detroit show, the retractable is a separarte version as coupes will still be fixed roof. Thereby three body styles - sedan, coupe, retractable. :brentil: What's with Pontiac's emails anyway? I.ve signed up 2 or 3 times and have yet to get a peep. :banghead

·
Registered
118 Posts
hard top or rag top best at introduction?

I suspect the rag top will be the draw for the casual buyer (which most of us are). Maybe I'm ignorant of the number of people out there racing their vehicles but I don't think 25 thousand small two seat hard top Sols will be bought by SCCA racers this year.
You guys that want to race them will probably wait for the FI (or V6 ;)) anyway and maybe you can have the coupe as well :party

1 - 20 of 35 Posts