Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter and I were taking our Miata out for one last drive since we sold it. We were headed down the expressway and I was wearing my Solstice hat and it blew off. So we got off the next exit and headed back to go get it. We caught up to it again only to find it laying in the middle of the highway! My daugher jumps out of the car and runs into the middle to grab it! Semi's were flying past, but luckily we got it back! I think we have to be at least a little crazy to do that! Gotta love the hat!

K&K :crazy:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Maybe just a little. But it's okay :) :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
As much as I like the Solstice, I don't think I would rish my or a loved one's life for a hat... I'd just buy another one on E-bay.

Now when you're saying it was laying in the middle of the highway, do you mean laying in the grassy median between the two directions of travel with break down lanes on both sides, or did you actually have to stop traffic to get it. If the first, i probably would have dine the same. If the 2nd, yeah, you're nuts. ;-)

·
Registered
493 Posts
K&K said:
My daughter and I were taking our Miata out for one last drive since we sold it. We were headed down the expressway and I was wearing my Solstice hat and it blew off. So we got off the next exit and headed back to go get it. We caught up to it again only to find it laying in the middle of the highway! My daugher jumps out of the car and runs into the middle to grab it! Semi's were flying past, but luckily we got it back! I think we have to be at least a little crazy to do that! Gotta love the hat!

K&K :crazy:
Just a little nuts... but I would have done the same thing. I wear hats all the time and if my favorite hat blew off I would think about putting my life at risk too. :crazy:

Neil

·
5,600 Posts
Great passion! but very unsafe. My great-uncle was killed retrieving a hubcap from the highway. Next time, call me and I'll send you my Solstice hat if it means that much to you. I'm sure the highway was more empty than not, but it just isn't worth the risk. I'm a transportation engineer for the State of California, so I know first hand how dangerous walking and working on the highways can be.

Then again, my Dad always told me to "go play on a highway". :lol:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
One good thing

It blew off because I was in a Miata... in the solstice you sit lower.. so as soon as my Solstice comes in the problem will be solved. No more losing the hat in the wind. Don't worry.... being a Mom, I made sure the conditions were right for such an adventure. It is true ... it could be very dangerous. Thanks for the hat offers and the warnings. Kids..... don't do this!

By the way.... does anyone know how to track tramsport of a vehicle?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You know how kids mittens have an idiot string between them. Maybe a lanyard is called for with the Solstice hats. might save a few hats and lives!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Would you have your daughter stand half way down the rifle range, run in while there were no shots ringing out and pick-up your hat.

People get killed every day changing tires on the road side, knew of a paramedic who hit a guy pulling a matteras out from under his car on a hwy in TX looked like the sword scene in Revenge if the Sith.

Cars wiegh 3000 lbs or more traveling 70mph, the mpact will not just kill you, it will cut your body in half and throw the pieces a hundred yards.. :(

Use your head for something more than a hat rack. :cuss:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
You know how kids mittens have an idiot string between them. Maybe a lanyard is called for with the Solstice hats. might save a few hats and lives!
Actually, I remember we sold a little band for just that purpose at the mountain store I used to work at. It had clips on either end - one clipped to the hat, the other to your collar. It's been invaluable when kayaking and climbing...
I guess now I found another use for it!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts