Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Are you buying an Solstice because you are a Pontiac diehard?

• 1) I would buy this car regardless of who made it.

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • 2) I would buy it only because Pontiac is making it.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • 3) I don't care as long as it lives up to my expectations!

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • 4) Not sure???

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I sense many of you are Pontiac diehards, but just wanted to see for sure. I think it helps to see where folks are coming from when they express opinions.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I have been looking at sports car for some time now hoping to find one that is classy and affordable. I have looked at vettes, jags though nice I prefer a roadster of a smaller type. My nephew has a miata and though it is nice the styling doesn't jump out at me. The solstice has the curves and fine features that i am looking for. Not to mention probably cheaper for insurance and gas milage as I believe these are considerations that I would make. The fact that it will cost about $27000 Canadian is in the ballpark.I like driving Pontiacs never had a bad experience.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Found the car by accident, I like that's it's American car :patriot but overall it's the price and styling that makes it so doesn't matter which company made it.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Actually up until now I wasn't a very big Pontiac fan. They had no cars in their stable that impressed me at all.

Really I should say I wasn't a very big fan of most American car companies either. There hasn't been anything domestic in a long time that's made me get that warm tingly feeling.

The Solstice gives me the warm tingly feeling.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Not much difference between choice one and three, but I picked one because I would buy this car no matter who made it. That's assuming everything is the same, including price. The fact that it's a Pontiac just sweetens the deal because I really want to buy American, and America needs more world class roadsters, and they build better designs, I want to support that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well i do own a 1999 Grand Prix but i would buy the solstice either way. The main thing that attracts me to it would be the size of the car, being 6'2" there are not many roadsters where i feel comefortable. Even the RX-8 was cramped to me(and its not even a roadster), but thats one reason i dont like japanese cars...they're just too compact for me.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I will admit to being somewhat of a Pontiac diehard, but I am by no means dedicated to Pontiac. I like there cars, and I like GM products in general. I really want them to do well and make great stuff I want to own. Unfortunately they don't do that too often.

I have always loved the Fiero and thought it was a great idea. The execution was not always the best, but in the end they had developed it into one heck of a nice car. Mine is now 17 years old, and still running strong! I cannot get enough of it, and that has given me a soft spot for Pontiac.

I also used to really like the F-bodies. I have a soft spot for my uncles 79 Trans Am which is a rocket, and I liked the 82-92 models. However, I was disappointed by the 93 version as it just felt too big to me, and since then Pontiac has not made anything I would run out and buy (and I haven't).

So part of my attraction to the Solstice is a return to a great sporty car by Pontiac. However, I'd buy it regardless of whose factory it came out of. Yes, even Ford! :eek

·
Registered
533 Posts
I would buy it based on how it turns out, but I also have some attachment to Pontiac. My relatives had a number of Pontiacs when I was young. Growing up around them had an impact on me.

However, my wife and I have owned automobiles from a wide variety of manufacturers over the last 34 years: Chrysler (2), Chevrolet (1), Pontiac (3), Ford (3), Subaru (4), Toyota (3), Honda (1), Isuzu (1), Nissan (2), Jaguar (1), BMW (1), and Alfa Romeo(1).

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have wanted a small convertible for a while now. Nothing has really sparked my interest. I tried a Mini, nice car. Needless to say it's gone and now I am waiting for the solstice. If it was a BMW I'd want one. It's just better knowing it's a GM product. :yesnod

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I wanted a small 2 seated sports car (roadster or not) but I couldn't justify the mid-thirties price they're asking for the ones I can fit in. Besides the just right size and price, I love the look!

Actually, I'm slightly concerned that it's a GM car. Although I've always put the wife and kids in US steel, :patriot the last 3 cars I bought for myself have all been small Japanese cars. I've put just under 700,000 miles on them (total) without having to mess with the engines proper or transmissions. Wish I could say that about the kids cars. But I'd probably buy a Sostice even if was a Yogo! :cheers

·
Registered
90 Posts
My Dad has had three British roadsters, a Sunbeam Alpine, an MGB, and currently a TR6. So I was pre-programmed for roadsters at an early age. I currenlty own a 1973 MGB.

But I've long waited for a domestic roadster. While this is a near counter culture statement, I've never had a bad experience with an American built vehicle. Quite the opposite, I prefer the mass, quality, and durability of a domestic. I've owned several imports which I found overpriced, tinny, and less durable. Just my experience guys. Don't get fired up.

That a recent article on the Sostice commented on a solid clunk heard when the doors close underscores the ping I've heard from the Miata's.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
dncaley said:
But I've long waited for a domestic roadster. While this is a near counter culture statement, I've never had a bad experience with an American built vehicle. Quite the opposite, I prefer the mass, quality, and durability of a domestic. I've owned several imports which I found overpriced, tinny, and less durable. Just my experience guys. Don't get fired up.
I don't see you getting flamed here for that comment. Just don't say so on a Honda board! :thumbs

American cars have gotten a bad reputation from some fairly bad products, but I think that rep is worse than most American cars really are, and the bad reputation exists in part because of a biased media. I won't get into particulars in this thread because it would move way too far off topic, but I'll just say in my experience, the vaunted imports are not as good as people give them credit for and the lowly domestics are better than they are preceived (I am talking in general too, there are some particular models that are exceptions on both sides).

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting feedback guys. I guess where I was coming from when I asked the question was that other car sites I frequent seemed to have "an attitude" about the cars featured as a result of brand loyalty. I know...what did I expect?
Here is what I mean. If you go to...say the S2K site and ask pointed questions about past tranny issues, or no. 4 cylinder issues, you sometimes get heat about being a troll or flamed about starting trouble. I am in hopes that we can openly talk about any fault that this new platform has, along with the fixes that it takes to get the car "right". I would hate to see some convoluted sense of loyalty prevent us from "keeping it real". There is sometimes a fine line between the bad intent of a cybertroll and someone who is asking hard questions in preparation of droping 20K+ on a new car. After the Solstice hits the dealerships this place will be crawling with people asking us questions about performance & build quality, as well as, "life with" questions. I would like to think that we at this site can bite the bullet and tell it like it is, rather than get defensive because we bought into the Solstice early. Thoughts?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Chip said:
Interesting feedback guys. I guess where I was coming from when I asked the question was that other car sites I frequent seemed to have "an attitude" about the cars featured as a result of brand loyalty. I know...what did I expect?
Here is what I mean. If you go to...say the S2K site and ask pointed questions about past tranny issues, or no. 4 cylinder issues, you sometimes get heat about being a troll or flamed about starting trouble. I am in hopes that we can openly talk about any fault that this new platform has, along with the fixes that it takes to get the car "right". I would hate to see some convoluted sense of loyalty prevent us from "keeping it real". There is sometimes a fine line between the bad intent of a cybertroll and someone who is asking hard questions in preparation of droping 20K+ on a new car. After the Solstice hits the dealerships this place will be crawling with people asking us questions about performance & build quality, as well as, "life with" questions. I would like to think that we at this site can bite the bullet and tell it like it is, rather than get defensive because we bought into the Solstice early. Thoughts?
A lot of people chose to buy Honda's and other imports over other cars they may like as much or better because of their preceived quality and reliability. So essentially, they have given up something to get that expected quality. So they are especially sensitive to any quality or reliability issues that may come up and make their purchase decision appear to be a bad one. If you buy a POntiac because you like it and it has a problem, it just has a problem. You suspected it could, and wanted it anyway. You deal with it. If you buy a Honda S2000 instead because it will be bulletproof, and suddenly its not, then you feel like you made a bad decision because you could have bought the "fill in the car" which you may have liked better but were concerned about the quality.

They hate to admit quality problems, because they bought them to avoid those problems. I doubt we will have those problems here!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
All machines need maintenance and repairs. To get you to regret your decision to buy that item, or go out and replace it, is a sum of several things:
1. It's how or where they break (Stranded or just stuck in the garage?)
2. It's how easy is it to get it fixed (Can you do it yourself)
3. It's how much does it cost to fix it. (Paid $250 for a Honda starter!)
4. It's how severely it breaks (Can you just live with it?)
5. It's how often it breaks (Is it always something?)
6. It's how much it initially cost (Did you pay for "quality" or was it "disposable"?)
7. It's how easy is it to improve it so it won't break that way again.
Eventually these all add up to us replacing it. If it happens quickly we might regret the purchase.
But,
These negatives are countered by a one important thing:
How good it makes you feel when it's running right!
I've got faith that the last item will get me through all the expected and normal repairs.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
GM fan here

I've been biased to Pontiacs since early childhood. My father had a '69 GTO convertible when I was growing up. My first 3 cars were all Pontiacs, to include a '78 T/A with a 400 4-speed. Sure, it was trailer park fodder, but I still regret selling it. It was in pretty decent shape and it had balls! My most recent Pontiac was a '99 GTP. I had alot of fun modding it. My best 1/4 mile was a [email protected] I won first place in SCCA solo II ESP class for the Hawaii region in 2001 with it.

But really, I'd buy the Solstice just as easily if it were badged a Chevrolet, Buick, or Saturn. The fact that its a Pontiac just means I don't have to betray my "roots." But really, within GM, the individual brands are just about badges. Its been that way for a long time. My GTP had a Buick motor in it. Even way back in '78, T/As came with either 400 Pontiac engines, or 403 Oldsmobiles. Back then, it made a difference. I'm sure glad mine had the Pontiac motor! The Solstice will come with the basically the same Ecotec engine that is in my current vehicle, a Saturn VUE.

Speaking of VUEs and engines. For those who don't know, every '05 Saturn VUE that has a V6 is "powered by Honda." That's what this world is coming to. Talk about a travesty, huh?!

Edit: as for my my vote, I'm the first person to check "not sure???" I am still GM loyal, but not necessarily just a Pontiac die hard. There was really no option that fit me.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
As for pride and admitting issues, I'm with Chip. It does no good to be ashamed of common problems. I think once the car is out and all of us have them in our hot little hands, we should even go so far as to make a seperate sub-category of this forum dedicated to problems/bugs/issues with its own FAQ. That way, we can sort out what kinds of things are common, and what all of us can eventually expect or try to prevent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This will be my first Pontiac (once I get my hands on one) in a long series of cars, foreign and American, starting with a 57 Ford station wagon. Every car has problems the first year that have to be worked out and this one will be no exception. I just hope it isn't something major. ;)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
DreamerDave said:
I've got faith that the last item will get me through all the expected and normal repairs.
That just about sums it up. If you really enjoy a car, it really doesn't matter what the nameplate says on the trunk. Most common 4 door sedans will never be enjoyed enough for this to matter, so other factors certainly influence purchase decisions. But sports cars are a little different. Its going to be hard to wipe the smile from our faces when we are out in Solstices! :cheers

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DreamerDave said:

The big question for me is are the early owners going to be Beta testers for Pontiac or will it be "running right" from the get go? Making that early AM "fix" appointment with a service dept. guy who could care less is what I hope to avoid. We need to be very candid about the cars strong points and...the weak ones.(If there are any?)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts