Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about the rudimentary title, but I didn't want to create a 50 word topic.

I was just wondering how many people here are buying one of the first 1000 because they think it will be worth something as a collectors item. If you plan on driving the car regularly, there seems to be little advantage to getting one of these special editions other than to get your hand on one as soon as possible (which is perfectly fine and understandable). However, I would think there are some people who hope that the first of the Solstices will be worth something someday.

I was going to do a poll, but decided against it. Comments should do. Whats your motivation for going through the trouble of trying to get one of the first 1000?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Buying to drive, keep, and store in bad weather.

I'm not buying for a "collectible" although it would be a nice bonus if it turns out that I get one of the 1st 1,000 and it appreciates in value. I'll drive it on nice days & weather and store in the winter.......I do live in Michigan, so I hope they don't just try to sell the 1st cars in warm weather climates.

Go Green (MSU men & women).....go Sol.....

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Sorry about the rudimentary title, but I didn't want to create a 50 word topic.

I was just wondering how many people here are buying one of the first 1000 because they think it will be worth something as a collectors item. If you plan on driving the car regularly, there seems to be little advantage to getting one of these special editions other than to get your hand on one as soon as possible (which is perfectly fine and understandable). However, I would think there are some people who hope that the first of the Solstices will be worth something someday.

I was going to do a poll, but decided against it. Comments should do. Whats your motivation for going through the trouble of trying to get one of the first 1000?
Ff88,
In my case I am hoping that it will keep it's value until the SKY comes out next year, I am hoping to see the SKY in person at the latest in the Miami Auto Show in Nov this year, if it is what has drove me to look at it over and over vs the SOL, then I can sell the SOL hopefully for the same price I purchase it and use it to buy the SKY.
I have to be honest, when I saw it at the Fort Lauderdale Show last week it did not change my mind at all from wanting the SKY, I know this has to do with that, it has some resemblance in my eyes at least, to the VIPER that I wish I could afford.
I know this does not answer your main question but at least it gives you another prospective on why I want one of the 1st 1000's.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum Toyman! I am sure nobody would complain if the car they had was a collectable. I hope you get one and enjoy it. Being from Buffalo, home of winters that really suck, I fully understand parking this car for the winter! Its certainly not a practical car to brave a snowstorm in!

LatinVenom said:
Ff88,
In my case I am hoping that it will keep it's value until the SKY comes out next year, I am hoping to see the SKY in person at the latest in the Miami Auto Show in Nov this year, if it is what has drove me to look at it over and over vs the SOL, then I can sell the SOL hopefully for the same price I purchase it and use it to buy the SKY.
I have to be honest, when I saw it at the Fort Lauderdale Show last week it did not change my mind at all from wanting the SKY, I know this has to do with that, it has some resemblance in my eyes at least, to the VIPER that I wish I could afford.
I know this does not answer your main question but at least it gives you another prospective on why I want one of the 1st 1000's.
Very interesting take on it LV! I think your plan will work well. If demand for the Sol is as good as expected, it should hold its value well, and allow you to get a good return on it to turn it into a Sky. If demand remains high, resale certainly will remain high.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I hope to buy one 'cuz around here it'll be a long time till they're selling for MSRP. So getting one with a little plate and a model car a month or two before eveyone else is actually the cheapest way to go. Talk about cake and eat it too! Problem is I plan on driving it daily, year round. Twenty five years from now, I'll be kicking myself for not keeping a rare EOP Solstice even though I sold it after owning it 12 years, put 200,000 miles on it and called it a junky old Solstice for the last five!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am buying one in the first 1000 as it makes me feel special "j/p". Actually thats the only way it fits into my "new car deadline" Itd be nice if it is worth at least a little extra over the normal solstice. However, I also doing it to guarantee I get it at MSRP even though my local dealers dont like that idea

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
The collectibile thing is a little bonus but not my motivation. For me it's all timing. My truck was paid off last fall & I want to get my Solstice loan into the window I have because I have no other loan. If I don't get the first 1000 probably won't see the car until near fall in general allocation and for me that's not gonna fly because I'd get it and have to put it into storage a couple of months later. If I miss 1000 I may have to wait until early next spring.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
It's pretty much an issue of getting my hands on one ASAP. The first 1,000 makes it a little more hassle for folks that don't care about exclusivity (other than being the first on the block). I plan to drive the wheels off mine, and modify it with better ones.

I briefly considered trying for TWO of the first 1,000, with my wife getting an ID number, and getting the other myself, then trying to sell the second one for a profit or garage it for some years. But I don't want to risk denying another forum member of their Solstice... or something like that.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Yesterday I say an auto auction on the tube where a 1970 Hemi 'Cuda sold for $300,000.00. My idea of getting one of the first 1000 is so I can be enjoying it while the weather is still good, although the collector value concept does make you think.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I buy to drive the wheels off,it's about time a car company got thier act together and produced a car I will drive in the summer other than my Harley.As far as the first 1000,my money has been down on this car for 9 months,along comes the Donald wannabes,now I might have to wait....oh well!!As long as I'm on the road before the western NY winter hits. :devil:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
SATCH said:
I buy to drive the wheels off,it's about time a car company got thier act together and produced a car I will drive in the summer other than my Harley.As far as the first 1000,my money has been down on this car for 9 months,along comes the Donald wannabes,now I might have to wait....oh well!!As long as I'm on the road before the western NY winter hits. :devil:
Between western NY, northwestern PA and northeastern OH, we'll have to see about getting a group warehouse for cooperative storage. Something like a closed down factory with enough indoor space so we can still drive them in the winter. :lol:

I have been on this fence before. I am probably waiting till next year and it had nothing to do with 1st year jitters or anything like that. I have purchased brand-new GM products before. It's more an item of daughter has one more year in college, and that's about the same price as the Solstice. ON THE OTHER HAND, I may just get myself in line and see what happens. I don't think there will be any long-term collectible advantage to the Apprentice 1000, UNLESS you didn't drive it at all and kept it for 20 years, but I also don't think that value of VIN#1000 stored away would be much greater than VIN # 1001 stored the same way. This car was meant to drive, baby.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Short answer, no.

Long answer... At first I was very interested in the Solstice for various factors, but mainly because I was intereted in the initial design process from an article in PopSci I had read back in 2002. However I became very pro Sky when GM finally released the images and information about it. However over time I started to realise my fascination with the Sky boiled down to three things, and unfortunately over time those 3 things didn't outway some of the differences the Sky was going to have over the Solstice. Not available till early/mid 2006, higher base price, lower power values, "softer" suspension, etc. However these didn't outway the items I like, the rear exhaust/difusser, front facia, and the side airlets. I LOVE those side air outlets, I think those side Pontiac symbols with the little dimples behind them are the one ugly mistake on the Solstices exterior. However I plan on getting my hands on some Sky quarter panels and attempt to modify or replicate panels for the Solstice. :D

I've always wondered what it would be like to be one of those first Corvette or Mustang owners. Owning the first ones made, being the foruners of a new cultural icon. I finally realised that I really think I have the chance to be one of those people, and be one of the first adopters. And being able to get one of the first 1000 special edtion models would be an even greater honour.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
brentil said:
an even greater honour.
You've been conversing extra with our Canadian brethren, eh? :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Yeah, dims wit dur purty AL-u-mini-um rims! :)
It's Al-U-mini-um. :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
achieftain said:
You've been conversing extra with our Canadian brethren, eh? :lol:
Actually I am part Canadian. :D

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Fortimir said:
:cool: The good part or the bad part? :devil:
The beer/biere part :lol: No, so am I, grandmother from Ingersoll, Ontario.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I want one because I like the looks and have been pleased with Pontiac performance. I promised myself a convertible a long time ago, and that this would be the year, but can’t afford a Corvette. I think the novelty of this car will make it a head-turner for quite a while. I see lucking out and getting an EOP car as less costly and I will have one sooner than if I had to wait till winter when they may, or may not, be a little cheaper for me and more available. I plan on driving mine, not keeping a collectible. This seems to be the consensus here.

I’m in central Ohio, and except for this year's lousy spring weather, I was able to ride my motorcycle most years from about April to the end of October.
That means I probably wont be able to resist driving it every chance I get.
:cool:

·
Registered
168 Posts
The first 1,000 are going to be special. After all, have you ever seen a promotion like this in the automobile industry? It is the thrill of the hunt that makes it that much more exciting.

I've been a car lover since my first one, a '62 Corvair. Cars and classic rock, gotta have 'em.

I am getting the Solstice as it will probably be my last major expense toy. I've never had a convertible, much less a roadster. My brother's purchase last summer of a '67 GTO ragtop also made it necessary for me to keep up.

I have a daughter who will be going to college in 3 years so that $25,000 I'm dropping gives me a guilt trip, but man, a thing like this only comes along a few times.

I'll drive it in the western NY summers (June-Aug) and put it away for the winters. I think it may well be a collectible if it is one of the first thousand.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts