Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Are you going to wave to other Solstice drivers?

• Sure!

Votes: 182 94.8%
  • Nope.

Votes: 10 5.2%
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Corvette enthusiast community, drivers of Corvettes of all generations wave to each other. Harley riders used to wave at each other, and Viper drivers have a kinda silly viper "V" handsign with the fingers curved like fangs. Stangs, Camaros, Firebirds, and Miatas usually don't wave or even acknowledge each other.

Are Solstice drivers going to wave? I believe it got popular in the late forties when small English MG sports cars drivers would wave to each other, so it would be a revival of sorts.

Out of curiosity, I looked up how "S" is signed in American Sign Language. It's a fist. I guess Solstice drivers can hold up a fist to each other. Looks like most people are ordering Black, so an upheld fist is appropriate: "Black Power, Man!" JUST KIDDING!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I will be acknowledging fellow Solstice drivers. What's the sign for '1,000'? ;)

My parents had a black on black 1982 Toyota Supra, the first year Toyota re-designed it, making it all long and sloopy and gave it retractable headlights. Other Supras from that year or later would raise and flash their headlights at each other all the time. That lasted for many years but I haven't seen it in a while now.

I own that car now and it still turns heads. It's debadged except for a hood ornament logo that Toyota doesn't use any more so I often get "what kind of car is that?" I love telling them that it's 24 years old, some refuse to believe me because it has an all digital instrument cluster.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You should give a wave or thumbs-up to all Roadster drivers: Like - :seeya: OR :thumbs:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sports car drivers used to wave to other drivers of the same make. Triumph owners waved to Triumph owners, MG owners waved to MG owners, etc. BUT, Triumph owners never waved to MG owners.

I've been very disappointed with Miata drivers who seldom, if ever, wave to other Miata drivers. I certainly hope that Solstice owners will wave to each other.

Most motorcycle riders still wave to each other, at least around here. I've heard that Harley riders don't wave to sport bike riders in some localities.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
palmer said:
Most motorcycle riders still wave to each other, at least around here. I've heard that Harley riders don't wave to sport bike riders in some localities.

Owning a Harley I can attest that it is sport bike drivers that don't wave to anyone (we always figured it was because they were afraid to let go of the handlebars!). When the do manage a salute, I am not allowed to describe the finger gester they do give!

·
Registered
78 Posts
The Batman said:
In the Corvette enthusiast community, drivers of Corvettes of all generations wave to each other. Harley riders used to wave at each other, and Viper drivers have a kinda silly viper "V" handsign with the fingers curved like fangs. Stangs, Camaros, Firebirds, and Miatas usually don't wave or even acknowledge each other.

Are Solstice drivers going to wave? I believe it got popular in the late forties when small English MG sports cars drivers would wave to each other, so it would be a revival of sorts.

Out of curiosity, I looked up how "S" is signed in American Sign Language. It's a fist. I guess Solstice drivers can hold up a fist to each other. Looks like most people are ordering Black, so an upheld fist is appropriate: "Black Power, Man!" JUST KIDDING!
I kind of like the signal idea, I'm sure about the fist though. Perhaps we could just each other the finger, or better we could give everyone else the finger. Just kidding of course. But we should definitely have a signal and perhaps a secret handshake for the meetings. or we could just do this -> :willy:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
tmpafford said:
nope, too busy driving :cool:
Unless you're on the track you should never be toooo busy driving to give other Solstice drivers the the thumbs up. :thumbs: :D

Then when on the track you should still give all the Miata drivers the sign too as you pass them. :lol:

·
Registered
504 Posts
In the beginning we will be few and far between. Yes I will give a wave or salute to one of the few who know a quality form of transport when they see one. :thumbs: :cool:Just Solstice owners not every roadster,Dick or Harry. :nono:

·
Registered
146 Posts
sure

Sure... if there is enough time to see em' coming :cool:

Thousand smybols are G, K and M

the K sign- looks like a peace sign... (except the middle finger is a little forward)

(i just love the new pics that are posted on here... inspiration? oh yeah)

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Salamander said:
I will be acknowledging fellow Solstice drivers. What's the sign for '1,000'? ;)
M, Roman numeral M, that's the left hand out the window with three adjacent fingers pointed toward the ground. :thumbs:

·
Dragon Rider
1,071 Posts
Absolutely!! :thumbs:

Though maybe slim in East AL for a while. I'm one of three allocated to the Anniston Dealer. Don't know how many are coming to the other two dealers in the area. Maybe soon the Alabama Solsti can get together and do this...

:party:

·
Registered
905 Posts
SteveB said:
I kind of like the signal idea, I'm sure about the fist though. Perhaps we could just each other the finger, or better we could give everyone else the finger. Just kidding of course. But we should definitely have a signal and perhaps a secret handshake for the meetings. or we could just do this -> :willy:
We should see each other on the road if you drive around Ellicott City, I'll be in a Sly/2 tone Solstice. :)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
ASL sign for Sun... A good salute!

PAS22 said:
Owning a Harley I can attest that it is sport bike drivers that don't wave to anyone (we always figured it was because they were afraid to let go of the handlebars!). When the do manage a salute, I am not allowed to describe the finger gesture they do give!
Here in old So Cal, it's the riders of almost all makes of bikes who will give you a low wave with their left hand to say thanks when you make it a point to move to the side of the lane and let them lane split. They're a good lot, and I've personally known several of them and they all make it a practice to thank the drivers of 4 wheeled machines with that low back pocket style wave saying thanks for the courtesy and paying attention to their presence.

There's also a single index finger wave done with out lifting the hands off of the steering wheel done between pick-up truck drivers in rural areas.

Perhaps, the Solstice wave should be the ASL sign for Sun. It would symbolize the Sun (or Sol as we will know it from now on) and the freedom of the open top wheels on the road spirit.... See the American Sign Language University at http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-signs/s/sun.htm: (images linked below)

Waving is good for camaraderie. When waved at, or given the thumbs-up by other drivers, Solstice pilots should also give them the Solstice wave in return.

In most cases, the smile, and the similarity to a salute will be greeted with understanding by the general public, and the Solstice owners will know it's a special sign.

While slightly silly, the open circle Sol salute could work for this car, and would be different even from the Sky or other roadsters. :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
When the Miata was new, all drivers both waved and flashed (their headlights) at all other Miatas. Since the Miata is over 15 years old, it has lost some of its uniqueness. That happens to all cars.

The Miata still has a very strong following in the car club circle. On many runs there are upwards of 50 to 60 cars on a run. I doubt the Soltice will ever reach those numbers - assuming that there are local clubs organized.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I will be waveing and my vote is for the clinched fist. We wont have time for too elaborate of a sign so a quick fist in the air would work. I expect this car to be the next American icon so a wave to our fellow Solstice brothers and sisters is a must.

·
Registered
600 Posts
deant said:
When the Miata was new, all drivers both waved and flashed (their headlights) at all other Miatas. Since the Miata is over 15 years old, it has lost some of its uniqueness. That happens to all cars.

The Miata still has a very strong following in the car club circle. On many runs there are upwards of 50 to 60 cars on a run. I doubt the Soltice will ever reach those numbers - assuming that there are local clubs organized.
Doubtfully we will have too many on the road, with only 20,000 produced a year and a 100,000 cap on the Kappa. The thumbs up is good to me. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Appropriate Wave

I had the same thought, ASL sign for sun, since solstice means sun standing still, perhaps an appropriate wave would be to just form the ALS sun sign, but hold it in one position.

On the issue of waving at other sports car drivers, we did in Victoria B.C. back in the early seventies, I don't recall not waving at Triumph, AH or Sunbeam Alpine drivers (I had an MBG). I think we were all just happy that our cars started and happy for everyone else whose British roadster wasn't up on blocks waiting for parts.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts