Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else getting a Sirius radio for their Sol? I am already a subscriber and I did not get the XM for my car. I am going to have to install my Sirius antenna on my car. Probably going to put it in the stock location for XM. Anyone else doing (done) this? Is XM a dealer installed acc.? Think I can get them to install my Sirius antenna?

I'm a big Howard fan so Sirius is a must for me.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I currently have Sirius - had it for over 2 years. love it. I purchased XM for the car. I prefer the sat radio as a dealer option instead of after market.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SCISOLSTICE said:
Yes got XM never had it before.
Guys, in the nicest way possible, no offense, but could you guys please read the post more carefully before you answer. The pertinent question is:

"is anyone getting SIRIUS radio"

not that I don't appreciate replies!

:) :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My understanding is that a Siruis receiver will not work with a GM factory head unit and an XM receiver will not work with a Ford factory head unit. The compatability isn't there. I think if you replace the entire head unit out of the car with an after market, you should be okay.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
todd_raleigh said:
My understanding is that a Siruis receiver will not work with a GM factory head unit and an XM receiver will not work with a Ford factory head unit. The compatability isn't there. I think if you replace the entire head unit out of the car with an after market, you should be okay.

oh well THAT sucks. I ordered the Monsoon and I know from experience hooking an aftermarket radio to that is a big PITA. hmmm. gotta consider some options...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
that's why i went with factory....my life is too busy to worry about how i'm going to hook up a radio :willy:

I never listen to am/fm anymore....yuck.... where's the picture of that guy puking in the toilet when you need it?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wait a minute... who's to say that the 3.5mm adapter (basically a line-in) on the front of the unit won't allow you to hook up your external Sirius reciever. That's what I plan to do!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
naoki said:
Wait a minute... who's to say that the 3.5mm adapter (basically a line-in) on the front of the unit won't allow you to hook up your external Sirius reciever. That's what I plan to do!
:agree: Just get a portable Sirius receiver, and use an FM modulator or, if available, the adapter. You can have the car kit "installed" in your Sol so there are no loose wires hanging around. Having the portable receiver is also nice because you can also use it in the house, or in a second car/someone elses car/rental car if you chose.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Fformula88 said:
:agree: Just get a portable Sirius receiver, and use an FM modulator or, if available, the adapter. You can have the car kit "installed" in your Sol so there are no loose wires hanging around. Having the portable receiver is also nice because you can also use it in the house, or in a second car/someone elses car/rental car if you chose.
Yes, this is essentially what I'm working with now, however, at least in the case of my Toyota, they sell an adapter that fits into the slot (at the back of the head unit) that is normally used for the 6-disc changer, and allows you to instead hook in any sort of device with a standard line-in plug. So this allows for even less wires hanging around than if you were to use the front plug featured with the Sol. Not sure if I'd personally go through all that extra cost and trouble when the jack is right there in the front. Only thing is to find a place on the dash to house my external Sirius reciever!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
naoki said:
Yes, this is essentially what I'm working with now, however, at least in the case of my Toyota, they sell an adapter that fits into the slot (at the back of the head unit) that is normally used for the 6-disc changer, and allows you to instead hook in any sort of device with a standard line-in plug. So this allows for even less wires hanging around than if you were to use the front plug featured with the Sol. Not sure if I'd personally go through all that extra cost and trouble when the jack is right there in the front. Only thing is to find a place on the dash to house my external Sirius reciever!
Having to mount the external receiver is the biggest downside I can see, since it is not all that visually pleasing to look at, wherever it goes. The clips to hook it onto the dash vent is nice, since it is not a permanent attachment like using the double sided tape method would be.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That is true, although I feel the upside is that I only have to mount it when needed OR maybe you can get a decent signal with the antenna in the cabin instead of on the exterior... I figure either option is better than having the permanent XM antenna affixed to the rear deck lid.

·
Registered
363 Posts
GHM73 said:
Guys, in the nicest way possible, no offense, but could you guys please read the post more carefully before you answer. The pertinent question is:

:nonod: I am getting XM. Have heard alot of good comments about it. Feel like I will be satisfied with it.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
naoki said:
That is true, although I feel the upside is that I only have to mount it when needed OR maybe you can get a decent signal with the antenna in the cabin instead of on the exterior... I figure either option is better than having the permanent XM antenna affixed to the rear deck lid.
having been an XM listener for over 3 years now..the placement of the antenna is problematic..inside the dash...its all based on clear line of sight you get with the wind shield and the angle of the dash.....the best reception is obviously on a flat surface and you should be able to look directly down into the windshield and see the antenna....if not....your reception will have drop outs.....most efficient place to put the antenna is outside the vehicle obviously.........

I personally dont mind the little antenna module on the back...its a quarter of the size of the XM antenna on my 04 Malibu Maxx!!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the stock radio, but it alsmot seems the easiest route would be to get an aftermarket head unit with Sirius built-in. I'm sure a pro place could hook it into the Monsoon system without much of a problem. we'll see when I get the car. I almost never listen to the radio anyway. I use my iPod and listen to satellite. the only time I listen to "regular" radio is Howard in the morning.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
PAO said:
having been an XM listener for over 3 years now..the placement of the antenna is problematic..inside the dash...its all based on clear line of sight you get with the wind shield and the angle of the dash.....the best reception is obviously on a flat surface and you should be able to look directly down into the windshield and see the antenna....if not....your reception will have drop outs.....most efficient place to put the antenna is outside the vehicle obviously.........

I personally dont mind the little antenna module on the back...its a quarter of the size of the XM antenna on my 04 Malibu Maxx!!!!
LOS might not be so bad with the convertable. I generally get a pretty good reception through the canvas softtop of my Jeep. Of course, top down reception is fine with the antenna in the cabin too. Same may go for the Sol. :)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
GHM73 said:

Same deference

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have the answer......GET XM!

I have the solution. GET XM! I had Sirius for two years. When I purchased my 2005 Audi A4 Convertible, it had XM! Now, I'm a XM subscriber. That's the answer. Just switch to XM and forget about changing and swaping all those wires and antenna's....... :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Any word on a small handheld Sirius? XM has had theirs out for almost a year now?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts