Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many people are trading in their cars when they buy a solstice? If so what kind of car do you drive and why are you buying a new one? Or is there anyone having this as a second car?

For me I drive a 99 pontiac grand am and I will be trading it in mainly because it is getting old. I love my car but it is almost at 80,000 miles and I hate driving cars with more then 100,000 because of things that have happened in the past.

·
Registered
350 Posts
95 Saturn w/ 153000

For me I am trading in my car. It's a 95 Saturn SL2. It's just getting to be getto. All winter I had a floor carpet that was rock hard due to water leaking in and freezing. It also makes for a nice smell when it is warm out. My the time I get the sol it will probably have 157000 miles. Oh yeah, it also failed inspection. Needs $700 worth of work.

Gonna trade it in. I would feel bad giving it to someone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not Trading

I am not trading in my car for the Solstice. I currently drive a 99' Jeep Wrangler. I ride a vanpool to work so I don't put very many miles on the Jeep anymore. I really need the Jeep for the Minnesota winters.
I also own a 70' Cutlass Convertable & a 74' Ghia coupe. This is the first car I have seen that I would concider buying. I really like the style of this car. But now with the late release I will be storing it until next spring. :(

·
Registered
600 Posts
No trade in here. My wife can't drive anymore and I still have a 91 Chevy Crew Cab 1-ton and a 90 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4. I'll need both of these for the ranch and going to work on wet days. The Solstice will be my primary work vehicle but will have to rest when the roads are muddy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am always so happy when I buy a new car and feel like sharing. This time I am giving my old car to a girl I know from work, she rides the bus every day and has never been late once. The way I look at it is that she will get much more use out of it than what it is worth as a trade in. I have a Honda del sol, it is a 93 but in very good condition. I bet the dealer wont give me much for it. Lisa

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I had to turn in my Miata since it was at the end of it's lease in March. I then bought a used Dodge Neon. I bought it to just get by until the Solstice comes out. I really don't like the Neon--I miss having a small car and a convertable but it will have to do for now---

·
Registered
78 Posts
I currently drive a 1998 Chevy S10 Pickup. It's Dark Metallic Copper. I bought it originally for commuting and for the occasional trip to the dump. Now I take the train and No more dump for me!
Originally I was going to sell it at C--Max, they pay better than a dealer trade in (IMO). But' my son's 1989 Corolla just died so I'm going to strike deal with him. If he starts making payments to me now I'll have the downpayment by the time the car arrives.
Steve

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I drive a 2000 Miata which I have had professionally repainted. I have added 16" wheels and made other minor performance modifications. I will be trading it in on my Solstice. My sol will become my daily driver until the snow gets too deep then I'll drive my S-10 pickup.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
ghia said:
I am not trading in my car for the Solstice. I currently drive a 99' Jeep Wrangler. I ride a vanpool to work so I don't put very many miles on the Jeep anymore. I really need the Jeep for the Minnesota winters.
I also own a 70' Cutlass Convertable & a 74' Ghia coupe. This is the first car I have seen that I would concider buying. I really like the style of this car. But now with the late release I will be storing it until next spring. :(
:thumbs: Welcome to another Wrangler owner! :) I have a 2002 Sahara.

To answer the question... I have not decided. Honestly. I have been getting ready to replace my Jeep with a new daily driver, but have not decided what way to go with it. One option is to trade it for the Sol, and just pick up a winter beater. A second is to sell it, get a new DD, and get a Sol next year.

Either way, with the delayed release, I probably won't pick up my Solstice until at least next spring anyway, and by then I am hoping to know whether there will be a high output Sol for the 2007 MY. If so I may wait to get that version as long as it is out by late 2006. I don't want to wait past next year to get it however. For now, I am just playing it by ear.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'll be selling my 97 Sunfire (55k miles) as opposed to trading it in. I would only get around $1500-$1700 for a trade in, but I'd get around $3 if I sold it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm really torn on this issue as well.

I have a 1999 Firehawk T/A and a 1995 Formula Firehawk that I need to get rid of before I get my Solstice. The 99 has about 80k miles and the 95 has about 102k miles.

I'd like to try and sell them before I have to resort to trading them in as I feel I won't get near what they are worth on a trade-in. I know that the dealership will know they are in the position to dictate exactly how much they want to give and I would have no choice but to accept their offer.

I also need to pick up another car to use as a daily/winter driver. I'm thinking about something like a 95 lumina or maybe an older truck.

I just wish it wasn't such a pain in the ass to try to sell a car or especially to trade on in.

The good thing about trading a car in is that whatever the trade-in value of the car, I would pay that much less taxes on the solstice.

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
No current car

There has not been more than 3 months in the last 22+ years at my household when there was a car available for me to drive on a daily basis. My "car" has been a series of bicycles (Klein, Cannondale, Mongoose, and Gary Fisher). I don't think I could get too much for my Fisher (although it does have 21 speeds and a new transmission (replaced the chain last week :lol: )). The Solstice will be my first "my" car since grad school.

--Chemist

·
Registered
67 Posts
I will be selling My 1980 MGB Limted Edtion with duel carbs with 65000 miles if anyone like more info let me know
Thanks
shoeman

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thought about it....but for the 3K or so trade-in on my 1997 Sebring JXI (85K miles) convertible....I'll just keep driving it as my primary car. It's a great car for driving around with 4 people (top down or up), plenty of luggage space (2 sets of golf clubs), etc.. Since it looks like a late summer delivery for the Solstice...I'm going to replace the canvas top and fix a few other minor things. My insurance will only increase $400 annually for adding the Solstice to my policy too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Keepin our '99 Sebring Conv. and the family min-van. However, we are putting two children up for adoption. They are both potty trained!!!! One is in graduate school and the other graduates from Tulane in three weeks........

There might be light at the end of the tunnel after all.......hoping it's a dark green Solstice with tan leather, a/c, and a tank full of gas.......

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm considering keeping my 97 Lumina. It's got 83k on it but runs and drives really well. It still looks almost new also and I know I wouldn't get jack on a trade in...maybe $2500. I may keep the Lumina as my primary car and a Sol as a secondary car to keep insurance down.

Everytime I think of a new car (like a GTO or Sol), I always have this "voice of reason" that tells me that I should continue to save money with my Lumina. If I could stifle that "voice," I could be in a new car having a good time. There is the "voice" that also says, "you deserve a fun car," and then the "voice of reason" says that, "you have a race car, jackass, stop being greedy."

Damb the voices!! :willy:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
No trade in. I will split annual mileage between the Solstice and V-Rod in the summer and GMC Sierra in the winter.

·
Registered
515 Posts
My 03 Jetta 1.8T is coming off of lease soon so it will be either bought out and traded, bought out and sold, or just turned in to VW. Somehow it's leaving. I need to work the buy-out numbers to see where I stand. I like the Jetta, but there's only two spots in the garage and I need a 4x4. The 92 4Runner with 200k (100k since rebuild for head gasket recall) is still running strong and will get me through the rain/snow/mud/cornfields until I upgrade it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yes and no. Not trading my driver which is 05 Magnum R/T but am selling one from my small collection. I am selling my 1977 Pontiac Can Am.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts