Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Have you watched the debates? (One, both, or none)

• I watched both debates

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • I only watched the Bush/Kerry debate

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I only watched the Cheney/Edwards debate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not watched the debates

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be interesting to do a poll to see who has watched the debates so far. Either the President and Kerry last week, or the VP and Edwards this week. They estimated 67 Million watched the first debate, which struck me as a rather high number, and they felt the VP and Edwards would also get a very big TV audience.

As for commentary, I thought yesterdays VP debate was very good. Both sides did well at defending and attacking. I was surprised that some polls this morning felt that Edwards had won by an overwhelming margin, because I felt it was basically a draw. Both have been interesting so far too, and I look forward to seeing the last two. Chances are they will not sway my opinion, but it is nice to see the candidates speak a little more in-depth about their plans and also see how they respond to their opposition.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I watched the Bush/Kerry debate, and maybe I'll watch the VPs (I still have it on Tivo). Bottom line is, I think people get out of the debates what they put in. So most people will tell you that what ever canidate they are supporting "clearly" won the debate. The undecided voters are probably still undecided, and when it comes down to it they'll probably end up voting for the guy with the best hair. The debates really aren't of all that much value if you've been reading the papers all along, but I kind of like watching them as entertainment like a boxing match.

I live in California, so it really doesn't matter how I vote for president, Kerry will win here no matter what. I thought about skipping this one, but I have never missed an election, and there are lots of other issues on the ballot, so I guess I'll go, but maybe I'll write in Bob Lutz! :cheers

·
4,592 Posts
I watched both, but less of the VP debate. I also live in Calif, and share AeroDave's thoughts on that :rolleyes

For those of you in the battle ground states, remember, your presidential votes are VERY important as they get far more influence than those of us in the red or blue states, where the outcome is already known.

Just another reason for me (beyond the front license plate requirment) to move out of Calif. :patriot

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand where you are coming from about being in Cali and having it basically decided for you. NY is basically the same way, always ending up heavily on the democrats side of a national election (which is ironic because people keep electing the same republican governor!). However, I still like to get out and put my vote in. If I decide not to go, it won't make a difference, but the more people that say the hell with it, the more likely the vote could end up as a race!

I am not sure how many undecideds have been swayed so far, but the debates seem to have had a very positive effect on the polls for Kerry/Edwards. They have gained back ground they lost after the Republican convention. Its going to be a close election!!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Finaly got around to watching the VPs debate on my Tivo. Could only watch about half. It went something like this:

You're a liar!

No I'm not and you're just wrong!

I'm not wrong, you just lie!

I have the facts.

Your facts are wrong, here are the correct facts.

You made those facts up. Here's the truth.

Your truth is distorted, my truth is correct.

You're leaving out the whole truth!

There you go, you're lying again!

Etc, etc, etc. I actualy wish that they had a rule where by neither side could site statistics or numbers of any kind. These figures are so easily manipulted that they are pointless. If they couldn't use them in their arguments, they would have to focus on policy differences instead of giving conflicting facts that no one watching has the time to go and check. Just a thought. If there was a winner in the VP debate it would have to be Edwards, just because he is prettier, and on TV that matters alot. A young high price injury trail lawyer, Cheney didn't stand a chance!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
AeroDave said:
Finaly got around to watching the VPs debate on my Tivo. Could only watch about half. It went something like this:

You're a liar!

No I'm not and you're just wrong!

I'm not wrong, you just lie!

I have the facts.

Your facts are wrong, here are the correct facts.

You made those facts up. Here's the truth.

Your truth is distorted, my truth is correct.

You're leaving out the whole truth!

There you go, you're lying again!

Etc, etc, etc. I actualy wish that they had a rule where by neither side could site statistics or numbers of any kind. These figures are so easily manipulted that they are pointless. If they couldn't use them in their arguments, they would have to focus on policy differences instead of giving conflicting facts that no one watching has the time to go and check. Just a thought. If there was a winner in the VP debate it would have to be Edwards, just because he is prettier, and on TV that matters alot. A young high price injury trail lawyer, Cheney didn't stand a chance!

You forgot:

"You're a liar"

"You're inconsistent"

"Yes, but you're a liar" [funny "begging" hand motions here]

"Yes, but I've been presiding over the senate for almost four years and I've never actually met you, because your attendance as a senator is so poor, you're never there".

[Silence, funny eyebrow scrunch, then:] "um, but... you're a liar"

·
4,592 Posts
Quote from Fformula88:
"I understand where you are coming from about being in Cali and having it basically decided for you. NY is basically the same way, always ending up heavily on the democrats side of a national election (which is ironic because people keep electing the same republican governor!)."

Hey Fformula88, what's up with that republican governor thing in NY, it took a recall to get a republican governor in Calif? :patriot

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RODEO said:
Hey Fformula88, what's up with that republican governor thing in NY, it took a recall to get a republican governor in Calif? :patriot
LOL, I have no idea whats up with him, but he's not half the actor as the one you guys have!

Seriously, Mario Cuomo was our governor for years, and he basically bankrupted the state and had everyone drowning in debt. Pataki (the current republican governor) ran on a plan to fix the states finances and reduce taxes which won him the election. He has been in office I believe 3 terms now.

Unfortunately time has caught up with him. His quick fixes don't work anymore. He shifted a lot of the tax burden off into higher fees for everything, but Medicaid costs have gone up as has everything else, and the state has no way to get out from under all the state pensions they are paying to retired employees (which accounts for the lions share of the state budget). So we are back to having the highest state taxes in the country, plus all these fees for everything, and no end in site.

At anyrate, people are starting to get tired of him, and I bet he is defeated next election... I think in 2 years. Depends who the Dems run, but it would likely be Eliott Spitzer, our attorney general who has made a big name for himself going after scandals and corporate wrong doing on wall street.

Now back to the debates...

No, your a liar!

No I am not, you are a waffler!

I most certainly do not waffle, you liar!

I do not lie, but your certainly the reason we have too many frivolous lawsuits!

lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts