Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new here I was curious how many of you will buy the Solstice as soon as it is available? How many will wait for the Blown or Turbo version to arrive later in the production run? And last, but not least. What sort of teething issues would you expect this platform to have initially?
Yeah I know, we don't want any, but... Stuff happens and the new owners of any new vehicle tend to be the Beta testers whose experiences will cause the first changes in the platform. It's a tough decision, being the first, or holding out until the bugs are worked out. I am holding out for the blown/turbo version, so maybe the initial problems (if there are any) will be dealt with by the time those cars are available. I hope!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Personally, I'll be first in line if I'm in the position to buy when it's time for the dealerships to start taking orders. There will be retrofits or aftermarket solutions to take care of teeting issues. As far as what kinds of issues to expect, that's anybody's guess. Depends on where the bean-counters insist on cutting costs to keep the final price down.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As much as I would like to be the first in line I have a very strong feeling that the dealerships will be bending us over the table and spanking us with a pretty good markup on the price. I personally will wait for the S/C version but with production numbers being so low for the N/A version, the S/C version will be even less and that makes me think of even more dealer markup. :mad

I will be looking into buying one right away but I'm not gonna let them screw me over at all. I love the car so far but I have my pride to think about :cool

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will wait a year or two to buy one. I have a nice new car to play with :smile

This car would replace a '95 Monte Carlo Z34 which will be past it's prime in a few years.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I will wait until there is a forced induction model AND the initial over MSRP price gouging has passed. Then I'll be first in line. :thumbs

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two Falsehoods Mentioned

1) The car won't be "all brand new parts" like most new production models, but the Solstice will actually be a collaboration of many proven parts, cannibalized from other successful models, including SAAB.

2) If you wait for the pricing to go down, you probably won't get a Solstice. This car will be on a very limited production run, most likely so dealerships can sell these cars at a premium. If you're looking to save, look for purchasing a used car after they start coming off their initial lease.

·
Registered
52 Posts
P-Guy said:
1) The car won't be "all brand new parts" like most new production models, but the Solstice will actually be a collaboration of many proven parts, cannibalized from other successful models, including SAAB.

2) If you wait for the pricing to go down, you probably won't get a Solstice. This car will be on a very limited production run, most likely so dealerships can sell these cars at a premium. If you're looking to save, look for purchasing a used car after they start coming off their initial lease.
Remember the original Miata? PT cruiser? Beetle? WRX? STi? EVO? I'd bet that when Solstices (Solsti?) first hit the dealerships they will be sold for a good $5k OVER msrp. After the initial spike is over I expect them to drop to normal car prices, somewhere at or below msrp, just like all the other "new" cars. It's a neat little sportster that everyone here loves, but when you think about it, it's not all that special. Miata, Z3, Z4, S2000, etc. plenty of competition. Even the S/C version has to be somewhat price sensitive or it runs into an entirely different category.

Of course I could be wrong. We'll know in another year and a half.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Agree, skeptic, I don't think dealers will be able to make 'market adjustments' to the pricing for more than a few months. Remember, when the Evo first hit, people were paying up to $20k over MSRP to get one. Now, they are advertised in the paper at $1k off of MSRP.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you custom order one, shouldn't that bypass any dealer markup??

·
Registered
275 Posts
While general availability of some options (like the s/c package) may be limited when introduced, I would expect those who plan serious competition (and would expect autocrossing to be a natural venue) to have early availability.

Now that Pontiac is out of NASCAR I would not think they would want to miss the opportunity but unless the option is listed (not necessarily available in large numbers), it will not be accepted for stock classes. Can say it would give them a lot of information about what is going to break.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
simmonsmb said:
If you custom order one, shouldn't that bypass any dealer markup??
Dealers can mark up any deal, even custom orders. However I also believe that the cost of the car will come down. 20k units doesn't seem like alot, but it's actualy plenty for this type of car. Remember, many people will love this car, but few will actualy pony up the money for one given it's limitations in utility.

I also believe that if demand remains strong GM will adjust production accordingly. Even if they do start production of the Curve and Nomad, the plant will be at a fraction of it's potential. The closer the plant gets to capacity, the more efficient it becomes. That means more profit for the General.

Bottom line, it's easy to get a great deal on a Miata now. The same will happen to Solstice. The only things keeping me from being first in line will be how much the mark up will be, and will I really have the money by then. Cash in hand is important to me as I will never lease a car. Leasing only makes sense if you have the ability to write off the lease as a business expense, otherwise it is a terrible financial decision. I'm starting to save now tho so hopefully I'll be ready! :cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
There Wont Be A Large Mark Up Because 20,000 Is A Ton Of Cars...the 350z, Which Was The Top Selling Sports Car Only Sold 30,000 Last Year....so For Pontiac To Sell Al 20,000 Would Be A Miracle In My Mind.....not To Mention All Sporty Car People That Can Afford It Are Saving And Waitinf For The New Corvette To Come Out

·
Registered
12 Posts
.....Leasing only makes sense if you have the ability to write off the lease as a business expense, otherwise it is a terrible financial decision.........

A terrible financial decision? Wow!
:rolleyes

·
Registered
57 Posts
leasing also makes sense if you are 25 year old like who just bought a house and can really really use the cheaper payment.....besides it seems car lose their value so much these days by the time u pay something off its worth crap anyway....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Leasing is not always a bad financial decision. Lease in the spring the residual is at it's peak (which means, lower payments). The further into the year you go the worts it gets (meaning the payments grow slightly as the year progresses). Financing is best done in the fall. My wife and I have lease our last 2 cars and I am very happy with the results. We lease a 2000 Impala (although it was the fall of 1999, but I didn't know the little tid bit I just mentioned then). It was a 3 year lease and 3 months before the lease was up we traded it for a 2002 Monte Carlo. The residual of the Impala at the time was $19,500 (Canadian $). We maintained and took care of the car so well, we got $21,000 for it on a trade, they sold it 2 days later for $24,000 so they were very happy. I believe they had a customer for it already. We leased the Monte Carlo and it's residual is puny by comparison. This time we chose a 4 year lease, they threw in the extra year warranty no charge and our residual will be about $13,000 at the end of year 4...we will dump it or keep it, who knows. Either way we won't lose since it's a fully loaded Monte Carlo SS High Sport in the at the time, limited Competition Yellow. Leasing gets you into a more expensive car for less money per month. The advantage is you only pay for what you use. If you are someone who trades in every 2-4 years, leasing is the smartest thing you can do. If you are someone who keeps for many years...leasing is pointless and you should buy.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I HAVE to buy one when they first come out! The car I'm driving can't hold out for much longer. '92 Civic with 210,000 Fast and Furius miles. Just pray it can last till next fall. Plan on keeping the 2006 for a while then trading it in on the forced induction version a couple of years after introduction. I'll keep that one till I'm forced to drive an electric scooter.

Daughter works for GMAC answering the leaseing 800 number. Hope her employee discount will eliminate any of the expected dealer "Because We Can" mark-up.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts